Sign in with
Your question

Carmack on Doom, Rage, EA and More

Last response: in Video Games
August 7, 2008 4:10:02 PM

Article by Devin Connors

During QuakeCon 2008, Tom's Games talked with id Software co-founder and legendary game programmer John Carmack about the developer's new titles like Rage and Doom 4 as well as working with EA and making games for Apple.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/08/07/carmack_interview/

More about : carmack doom rage

August 7, 2008 5:00:05 PM

Rob, the link on the page is incorrect and sends one to a file not found page. The link in this thread is good though.
August 7, 2008 5:09:25 PM

Great interview. I really enjoyed it.

"It's wonderful what Nintendo is doing where you can still get that old game on the Wii or DS and its much nicer with cooler graphics. I so wanted to do that with our games and do kind of a Quake II remix or something."

I want a Q2 remix. It's one of my favorite games of all time, I remember it was once the Best PC Game ever according to PC gamer. It was so good that I was disappointed heartily by Quake 3.
Related resources
August 8, 2008 2:34:56 AM

Shouldnt they like the challenge of the PS3.. They are basically saying xb360 is easy.. and thats why they like it.. shouldnt they like a challenge better because when they complete it they know they are that much better... people are stupid and always like the easy way out... its pathetic
August 8, 2008 11:13:45 AM

Venality said:
Shouldnt they like the challenge of the PS3.. They are basically saying xb360 is easy.. and thats why they like it.. shouldnt they like a challenge better because when they complete it they know they are that much better... people are stupid and always like the easy way out... its pathetic

This isn't about liking a challenge or not. It is about developing cycles. They can code pretty fast and pretty good to the 360/PC, and freaking slow but good to the PS3. Coding for Cell is a PITA compared to a stable/mature platform like PC/360.

PC/360 is much more agile platform as well.
August 8, 2008 1:40:40 PM

Venality said:

I love how some people think they're somehow smarter or know better than one of the most respected veterans in the gaming industry.

Let's see, Route A and Route B both lead up to Point C. Route A is a long-winding road filled with obstacles, Route B is a clear straight path.
Only the stupid people would pick Route B, right?

August 8, 2008 2:56:41 PM

Venality said:

I don't want the game developers challenging themselves on the coding end. I want them challenging themselves on storyline and plot. I want the systems to be easy to code for so that the best most creative 'big idea' people can design games without interference.
August 10, 2008 6:16:23 PM

"There are a lot of things that we just don't know yet, and it all depends on the success of Rage and the success of Quake Live. With Quake Live, my hope is that it's just this carry-on success and we can leave people on it forever."

Sorry Carmack.. the whole leave people on Quake Live is a dream. One I Highly doubt will come true. It has potential, but at the end of the day, it comes down to it just being a dummied down version of Q3 with much more limited options.
I personally would have rather seen Quake 4 at Quakecon 2008 for a few reasons (I won't go into detail unless asked, this is rant enough in itself). Seeing as that did not happen I look forward to Quake 5, not Quake Live.... Especially since reading early on the group that was put together for Quake Live was done to set the stages for the NEXT Quake game, not to end it on a sour note like Quake Live.

I hope and look forward to Q5 personally. Along with many others I know
August 10, 2008 9:54:09 PM

Quake 5 is not going to come any time soon, if ever :( 
August 11, 2008 4:11:42 PM

San Pedro said:
Quake 5 is not going to come any time soon, if ever :( 

After the abomination that was Quake 4, I don't want a new Quake title, ever.
August 13, 2008 3:02:46 AM

I thought I remember a while back someone from id stating that q4 was the last quake installment that would be done in house. Doesn't necessarily mean a q5 would never be made, but by who, what quality, and when are probably anyone's guess.

Quote:
After the abomination that was Quake 4, I don't want a new Quake title, ever.
Kind of with you on that. Before q4 was released, there was so much talk about how it was action packed and had a variety of gameplay. It just felt like D3 with a couple maps that were more open. The vehicle levels I thought were horrible. Some of the gameplay and objectives also felt too much like q2. I don't even want to think about q4 multiplayer, it was just wrong.

I never got into playing d3 online, but from what I heard it wasn't that great. As for the single player, after initial, "wow, pretty cool graphics", I was bored and annoyed. So I will wait until something solid about d4 comes out to make a decision, hopefully they move the story forward and really wow us, not just do a rehash of an old game with updated graphics.
!