PC vs. CONSOLE WAR: PC's are LOSING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
These days there something that worries me a great deal. The articles I read on various websites about how PC gaming is slowly dying. Or how when I walk into a Best Buy, or EB Games, or any other electronic outlet there is a huge decrease in available options for purchase when it comes to software and PC accessories.

So I will get right into it then. Have any of you realized the lack of support for PC products as I have? It seems everywhere I go now the PC sections are getting smaller and smaller. When I walk into EB games or other similar shops they tell me now that they are phasing out PC games and that their entire PC inventory is on sale for discounted prices. I go to Wal-Mart and what used to be a two section isle has been converted into a 5 ft long shelf with 15-20 titles to choose from( unfortunately all priced wrong, and with the wrong stickers attached to the shelving units as is Wal-Mart’s standard operating procedure). I go to Target and find what used to be a sizeable selection of recent PC software and gaming titles reduced to almost nothing but again a 5 foot long shelf.

I used to have one good standby, COMPUSA which always had an excellent selection of PC Software, now out-of -business. Circuit city used to be pretty good, they to are now removing their PC Software inventory and everything is currently being marked down, and the best part, they are on their way out the door too, trying to sell out.

So with all the vendors and retailers removing PC stock(including performance parts and hardware) from their shelves where does this leave all of us?? Sure you can say the internet!! But that doesn’t help you when even most of our larger sites our trimming down their offerings as well. And what about the excitement you get when you get to pick up the box look at the graphics and read the titles description. There is a tangible sense of value when you are holding the box in your hands. All of this leaves me with a huge sense of worry. I know this must be disheartening for software programmers and game design firms out there trying to make a living.

I honestly have been a PC gamer almost my entire life, I used to play the first Wolfenstein and Doom games when they were on little floppy disk's. I have been playing Blizzards' games since the first Warcraft, and Unreal since it's first version. Command and Conquer when it looked like little green squares driving around in the snow
( those were tanks) and Wing Commander too. The first Mech Warrior games. I have played them all. I also collect the boxes and keep all of my games in their original boxes. I currently have 80 mint condition game boxes. I never pirated any of the games I have played, and I think pirating sucks. I believe pirated software is the number one reason why PC gaming is going the way of the dinosaurs.

My biggest concern comes however from the hardware side of the matter, as Nvidia and ATi are at war with each other trying to build the greatest graphics cards known to man, and many of us are willingly buying them, and stacking our computers with 4+ GB of ram, and quad processors and extreme cooling systems all to be able to play the newest games at the most maxed out graphics options. Many of know that our PC's are often times 5-10 times faster than even the PS3. It's actual graphics solution is based off of the Nvidia 7800 series GPU. Take (2) GTX280's and you could easily be 10 X faster on any current game on the market compared to the PS3.

But what happens to all of us if PC gaming DIES?? All of our hard earned money and time spent configuring and building the best machines our money can buy will be wasted. Where will our hobby go? Where will the desire to make an awesome gaming system come from, ...it wont. That’s just it, if PC gaming dies, there are many other markets soon to follow. The graphcis card market would crash for anything really above mid-level or entry level net surfing purpose GPU's and would revert back to integrated chips. High performance motherboard manufacturers would suffer, as would high end audio card makers. Many of the LCD manufacturers would see huge drops in revenue on anything larger than 1280X1024 screen sizes. Literally if PC gaming goes, the entire performance market would soon crash down as there would no longer be the demand from consumers for such high end components.

Recent articles involving the makers of Crysis, Titan's Quest, and now even John Carmack and ID software express they are switching their focus to consoles primarily because PC games just aren’t selling anymore. THE makers of Grand Theft Auto 4 and Mass Effect were within a hairs thickness of not releasing their games for PC this time around until the PC Enthusiasts spoke up. Console sales and gaming is wiping the floor with PC's and all the evidence supports this. But what about those of us who really dont like consoles, are we just a niche market now? I have a PS3 and honestly the only games I play are Need for Speed Carbon and Fight Night Round 3, I play PS2 games on my PS3 right now more than anything else in the PS3 library. Don't get me wrong I have 10 PS3 games, but problem is once you play through em thats it. They dont have the replay value that PC games have and dont require as much skill.

The point of my writing is to express grave concern for the PC gaming market, and to bring to light the fact that if you are "Pirating" software, you need to wake up and realize that you are killing your own favorite hobby. Many of us love our machines that we have worked for and built, and many of us use them everyday for gaming, internet, movies, and various other uses. But people if we cant bring the focus back to where it all began, (with PC's) then the Console vs. PC wars are lost, and so is our beloved past time that separates so many of us from the casual console gamer. Don't let it happen.

PAY for your games, respect the designers and programmers, who have devoted their lives to making you awesome entertainment, and start showing these development firms that the PC is still alive and kicking.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
PC gaming is not so much a victim of piracy as it is a victim of the console phenomenon.

Consoles now are like SUVs in the late 80's early 90's - high volume, incredible profit margins. Everybody seems to have one and those who don't wan't one.

A huge issue that haunts PC gaming: It's become socially acceptable for adults to game on consoles. I visited my parents a few weeks ago for the first time in a few months and went to some gatherings of old friends who still live in my old hometown.

Guess what - Every single one had a console out for people to game on. We used to play Tiger Woods golf and EA spots NHL on the PS2 before we went out to bars, but only amongst ourselves. It was nothing like this.

To compete with console today PC makers would have to release fully loaded PCs with top of the line hardware for $400. AND find a way to compete with this new social acceptance of console gaming for adults. I don't see that happening.

It's a tidal wave.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
This is basically just a rehashing of some 10 billion other post on the same topics. PC gaming isn't going anywhere. Theres always room for improvement but I can't imagine that any time in which there will be PCs but no PC games.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
A couple of thoughts:

1) There probably are too many threads on this topic.

2) I love PC gaming. It's been my #1 hobby for a LONG time.

3) Anyone who loves PC gaming and thinks that there's no cause for concern is fooling themselves. That type of thought is on par with "the US has always been dominant and will continue to be by default" (not in importance but in level of denial).

4) The "release AAA title on console/ release it 9-12 months (or more) later on PC" cycle makes my blood boil. But - we have no choice but to get used to it.

5) Pircay IS a problem. But it pales in comparison to the amount of money that can be made on consoles nowadays.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
You will just have to get used to the fact that more and more PC games are going to be distributed digitally. I am like you and used to love looking at the Sunday ads and going to BB and CC, but now I have migrated to looking at Newegg specials. Its just change and change is a part of life.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
What you and many others are getting confused about is simply that the PC game retail presence is no longer what it used to be. The tech savvy gaming crowd are often PC gamers. Tech savvy individuals are also more likely to do their purchasing online and possibly over steam or Impulse. Steam and Impulse do not publish their sales numbers.

Valve has actually stated in no uncertain terms that PC gaming is not doing badly, in fact they are seeing sales that beat any individual console handily. It is just that a lot of executives are paying more attention to third party numbers like NPD and such and not to the sales numbers they get internally.

PC gaming is doing great. Just some game companies are run by idiots. That is no real surprise.

PC games are losing their retail presence but their online presence is a true force to be reckoned with.

Lighten up on the doomsaying.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
am like you and used to love looking at the Sunday ads and going to BB and CC

Tech savvy individuals are also more likely to do their purchasing online and possibly over steam or Impulse.

I don't even bother checking the weekly ads for games any more. Every day when I boot up my PC steam opens up and I get to see their new releases. If not there I'll check other digital distribution sites to see what I can get. And the half hour or so download time is a lot better than driving half an hour to Best Buy or Wal Mart and having to waste gas.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Just going to copy paste from the identical thread in the other section..

sh**** games kill the industry.

That being said there's about a half dozen PC games i'll be purchasing in the next 3 months alone (can't remember what's coming end of nov-dec). And alot more coming from Valve (tf2 updates, hl2 ep3, p2 etc) and Blizzard in the next year or two.

It's never looked better. The cream of the crop!

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
There are some great games on the horizon and some phenomenal games not far behind us. Anyone who seriously complains about the quality of games coming out right now is an idiot. 2007 was possibly the best year for gamers ever, 2008 is shaping up to not be a slouch either.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
2008 started a little slow, but that just gave me time to grab all the games from 2007 that I hadn't had time for (Orange Box). Right now I'm trying to prioritize which of the upcoming titles I'll grab first and which to wait for. In no particular order heres some games I'm looking forward to in the next few months:
Crysis Warhead
Spore
Starcraft 2
Civilization: Colonization
GTA4
COD5
Left 4 Dead
WoW WotLK

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
And people say PC gaming is in a slump...

647389b.jpg

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
At first I thought that blue seal was some sort of lame award- "E3 - Best Reality Show Based Game" - WOW even better than Deadliest Catch The Game!!! But looking closer I think it says there's a recipe included with the game. I'm not sure which would be worse.

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I actually made a list for myself yesterday of the games I might be interested in coming out till the end of the year. I'll post them here to give you an idea:

Space Siege
STALKER Clear Sky
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Spore
Legendary
The Witcher Enhanced Edition
Crysis Warhead
Pure
Rise of the Argonauts
Brother in Arms Hell's Highway
Project Origin
Sacred 2 Fallen Angel
Fallout 3
Saints Row 2
Far Cry 2
Dead Space
James Bond Quantom of Solace
Left 4 Dead
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Mirror's Edge
Grand Theft Auto 4
Tomb Raider Underworld
Damnation

Games coming sometime next year or the year after:

Dragon Age
Prince of Persia
Red Alert 3
Stacraft 2
Diablo 3

Rage
Doom 4
Street Fighter 4
Bionic Commando
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Dark Void
Bioshock 2
Prototype
The Last Remnant
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II
Half-Life 2: Episode 3
Half-Life 3 (?)
Call of Duty World at War
Call of Duty 5 (?)
Project Offset

Games not yet announced for PC, but most likely will be eventually:

Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Resident Evil 5

Bolded game = exclusive.

Bottom line: PC gaming the way I see it is far, far, far from going away anytime soon. Not only are there at least TWENTY TWO titles coming out on the PC platform this last quarter, but FIVE of them are exclusives (or at least temporary exclusives, because let's face it: exclusivity is not good business on any platform these days for any developer/publisher).

PC gaming is not going anywhere. :)

willg21

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
well one game i would i am looking forward to is Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X, ive been looking for a Combat flight game with awesome graphics for ages, and this looks up for the job

spook24

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2277507,00.asp

"And the shame is, if the low end of the PC market, the mass market PCs that everybody buys did not come with these crappy graphics chips on them and was not burdened with a fat OS, that the PC would be a larger contiguous gaming platform than all the next-generation consoles combined, probably would be clearly superior; the PC is the home of the most profitable game in history generating more revenue than the top 10 console games combined--that's World of Warcraft generating a 1.2 billion dollars a year in revenue, that's a pure PC game. "

damn im glad that they are releasing it on PC....it would be stupid not to...oh and dont forget the NEW CoD game in 2009(not talking about World at War).

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/02/an-altogether-new-call-of-duty-planned-for-2009/
of course it will be on PC definitely(not confirmed)but with the 10+ millions copies sold(CoD4) already i think its safe to say that it will be a PC game as well as console.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I'm sure the next gen of consoles will all have limited (translation - piracy proof) PC features - which will allow them to run games like WoW.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Blizzard is an example of a company that knows how to make money in the PC market.

No its not easy you have allot of factors to deal with, piracy I am not so sure is the main one... (yeah you will have 20-30K downloads of a popular to pirate game but in the end thats really not that many more sales.)
I think one of the bigger issues affecting PC gaming is that most people really do not understand what they have in the PC sitting in front of them...
One key to blizzards success they make games that work on 90% of the PC's made in the last 2 years.

It always amazes me when some one says "Oh I have 3Ghz" when I ask them how much RAM they have or what video card they are using or what CPU they have... I think Intel's marketing machine may have been TOO successful from the P4 days.

Anyway this goes back to the piracy issue as well. If you think more then 1% of computer users are able to replace an .EXE file with a cracked one (of the correct version) then you have far far more faith in users then most people who deal with users on a day to day basis so blaming pirates for poor game sales is like saying shoplifters are responsible for poor SUV sales...

Edit: Another thought is that the users who are able to replace a few files in an install are also the users who are able to tell you what they have in there PC since they probably built it in the first place. So when you target a small % of the market with games that require DX10 and DX10 hardware Call of Juarez anyone ? Throw in some piracy and you have sales that just plain suck even if the game is really good.

You forgot HL2 EP3 and possibly HL3 :p

Either way PC gaming tends to cater to the more well sophistcated crowd. Those who like quality over quantity and also the mod community is HUGE!!!!!

Consoles are great for what they do but they have so many crap titles where as most PC games are normally great games. PC gaming will be around even without the support of retail stores due to things such as Steam that offer digital distributions. Of course Steam is the best one with the EA one being complete crap as it doesn't save the games you buy for more than 6 months so if you lose your install after 6 months you have to repay to get it where as Steam keeps it with your username.

I just noticed but Doom 4 is not a PC exclusive? Its sad to see ID soft going that route when they got their begining and their fame from PC gamers. Sad really.

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
You forgot HL2 EP3 and possibly HL3 :p

You're right! :sweat:
How could I forget HL? I'll add them to the list.

There is another game called Project Offset being developed by a team of 16 people if anyone's heard of it.
Check it out because it looks fantastic so far.
Supposedly, it's going to be a PC exclusive since they were bought out by Intel, and I've been hearing from people that the game will launch simultaneously with Intel's Larrabee.

of course it will be on PC definitely(not confirmed)but with the 10+ millions copies sold(CoD4) already i think its safe to say that it will be a PC game as well as console.
Added both World at War and the following CoD.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Scare mongering doom merchants.

It can't be denied consoles are selling in their millions but consoles aren't taking anything away from the PC, the console growth is all organic (i.e. growing from a fresh markets and not replacing another). There is still a lot of money to be made on the PC, the makers of World Of Warcraft for example probably make more money every year then any other developer in the world.

I%u2019m a believer that if you make a good game it will make you money piracy or no piracy. The success of games like Sins of The Solar Empire suggests to me that the future of PC games will be targeted at an older audience, an audience which is less inclined to pirate a game (as with the of Solar Empire), which for me personally is a good thing.

Whilst the PC may be pushed into a smaller market share the number of PC gamers has actually grown across the world, just because a few stores in the US are giving up more space for console games doesn%u2019t mean dick. There%u2019s a world outside of America you know and the rest of world enjoys it%u2019s PC games especially in Europe.

The future of PC games IMO is this

- Newer games targeting older audiences
- Online distribution models to replace traditional box sales
- More Episode gaming
- Causal gaming will be the biggest genre in the market
- MMORPG%u2019S (sadly)

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
"f you are "Pirating" software, you need to wake up and realize that you are killing your own favorite hobby."

1) Define Pirating software.

2) Prove your assertion as you sound uninformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.