deleted files

I was trying to get rid of a Trojan Horse and deleted some stuff....now when
I rightclick on the desktop/properties all I get is Display Properties -
Theme....my screensaver is gone...I emptyed my trash so thesew files are gone
....how do I get them back? I'm running XP.
3 answers Last reply
More about deleted files

    Hi

    Try a System Restore back to a point before the problem started.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Warren" <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was trying to get rid of a Trojan Horse and deleted some stuff....now
    >when
    > I rightclick on the desktop/properties all I get is Display Properties -
    > Theme....my screensaver is gone...I emptyed my trash so thesew files are
    > gone
    > ...how do I get them back? I'm running XP.

    System restore was corrupt and had to delete ALL.....now what?

    Warren wrote:

    > I rightclick on the desktop/properties all I get is Display Properties -
    > Theme....my screensaver is gone...

    > System restore was corrupt and had to delete ALL.....now what?

    Have you check the Control.INI file in C:\Windows to verify content?
    Ordinarily it will be empty (a zero-length file). If there are items in
    there now, try renaming that file and Restart.

    Have you tried re-installing your graphics drivers? Have you installed SP1
    on your XP system? XP SP2?

    What is the version and file size info for Desk.cpl in your System32 folder?
    Do you have one with a different version/size in the
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. OR even if that one is the same
    size, have you tried booting into Safe Mode and replacing the one in
    System32 with the one in the ServicePack folder?

    What happens if you type this into the Start/Run line: control.exe
    desk.cpl,,1 (should get your Screen Saver); or this (control.exe
    desk.cpl,,-1) should get you the Themes applet. Do those commands work as
    expected on your system? Note that the results may not match what I see,
    since we are probably using different versions of the OS. But you should
    still see something other than the blank/missing tabs you report. :)

    --

    ....Sky

Windows XP