KxK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I've had my PS3 for about a year now, and played on it night and day, but now i have spend nearly a grand on a new gaming PC, and all the game that i played on PS3 (COD4 amongst others) looks much better on PC on a 4870...so now my PS3 is collecting dust..

The question is, should i sell it for 150 pounds at Game (havent checked other stores) to get a better monitor for my PC, or will there be any more console only games that will be worth it?

Im into shooting, driving and sometimes adventure.

I cant make up my mind :(

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Resistance 2, Resident Evil 5, Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, Socom: Confrontation. If none of these titles are your cup of tea, then you've already made your decision.

KxK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Only one that tickles my fancy is uncharted 2, but i think i can get by that.

Hate gran turismo now. :)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I see two main reasons for a PS3 in particular when you've got a gaming PC.

There's the Blu-Ray player, for one... It's not just any player, it happens to also have some expensive hardware to decode and filter it, making it one of the higher-end DVD players... Which is good, because while you can easily find tons of Blu-Ray players for under the $400US price of a PS3, (I've seen some under half that) you can't find any other GOOD ones until notably above that price point.

The other, of course, are the tiny handful of PS3-exclusive games. There are pretty much no Xbox 360 exclusives left, particularly those that would come to PC, since one must remember that while Microsoft has a vested interest in their console, they also have a much longer-running interest in the very operating system they make. Of course, these games are not terribly numerous... To me, the only one that stands out is Metal Gear Solid 4. Of course, with the virtual guarantee that it'll come to the Xbox 360 in a year*, means that if you've got an Xbox 360, you won't need a PS3 for that game unless you're really itching to play it ASAP. 'Course, I have neither system, so I'll likely have to "borrow" one from someone.

*Yes, I've seen plenty of PS3 fanboys argue against this, but I view it as inevitable; the PS3 will *NEVER* have the 140+ million-unit sales level of success that the PS2 had, or even stand a chance of coming remotely close. It's safe to say that unlike the PS2 and Xbox, the PS3 will NOT be out-selling the Xbox 360 5.8-to-1. As it stands, Sony is still BEHIND overall, and at best could really only get as far as perhaps 1.25-to-1. Sony's bold claims of selling 150 million PS3s, when they have about 1/10th that after almost 2 years in, (and no production shortages) Would imply that they'd either have to go on for the better part of 20 years like this, or Microsoft AND Nintendo would have to spontaneously cease operation. So every day that either/both of them continue to run makes such odds ever slimmer, until in not too long it'd be impossible because the 7th generation console market will become fully saturated and dead before they'll have a chance to sell that many.

MrIcky

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
I wouldn't sell it for a couple of reasons.

1st, the blu-ray as mentioned above.

2nd, you just never know when something will come out for consoles that will make you drool. There are a lot of very creative game-making minds moving from the PC market to the console market.

Finally, there have been a lot of half-assed attempts for streaming content to consoles. Eventually both Sony and MS will get this right (I'm looking forward to the netflix arrangement to see how that works out). Sony wants to be a player in this market. Streaming movies to your computer is possible, but it's a pain to put it on your main tv without making custom htpcs that are not always user friendly.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
There has been no news or an announcement about Metal Gear Solid 4 coming to the Xbox360; while it may come to the Xbox360 in the future, you're currently doing nothing more than speculating, and I wouldn't recommend a product based on speculation alone. I'd also be curious what Microsoft would do with their multi-disc royalty fees that John Carmack talked about; it'd be interesting to see how much of that 33GB they can lose without degrading quality. Some would argue that the PS2 started off slow kind of like the PS3, but I can't see a jump like that happening. It seems likely that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in it's lifetime, but the Wii will probably remain untouchable, and the PS3's probably won't get near the numbers they did with the PS2.

KxK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Yeah all these are true, but i have no need for blu ray now, and can easily get one later.

And i have all the games i want for PC, im sure one game that is only on PS3 wont make that much difference

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I'd hold on to it for Disgaea 3 if nothing else, but that's me.

It is a good bluray player and if you are not using it you can just set it to do folding for you to help with cancer research.

I would advise not selling it unless you can get at least $250 for it.

I would not advise buying a PS3, but I also would not advise selling it at a significant loss.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Mine's replaced my DVD player.

I run a media server on my PC, so it'll play video files and MP3's from my computer. The PC also records television, so things saved there can be played from the PS3.

It plays games?

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Supposedly. ;-)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
What program are you recording TV with? I currently use my Xbox360 as a media center extender for recorded TV, but would love to be able to at least play back recorded TV on the PS3 as it's a much quieter system.