which mobo to buy?

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
im upgrading my PC, I pretty sure Im gonna go with an Athlon 2100, i dont need any isa slots, need agp for my geforce3 asus v8200 ti200, i think it might be 4x, couldnt find the specs on the asus site, dont really need onboard audio but maybe if it comes with something good I could ditch my old Diamond MX300, any suggestions on a motherboard to buy? gonna go with DDR of some sort, still dont understand how the numbers with that relate to anything.
been looking around a little, Abit KD7-E looks like it could work, assuming my video is agp 2.0 4x, MSI K72N-L seems to support all variations of agp
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Petebert on 01/25/03 02:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
First off, the v8200 is AGP 4x, since you were wondering.
Secondly, as far as the motherboard, go with the Asus A7N8X. It's a really good mobo, although I am having some issues with it right now. It also comes with an excellent sound card configuration, not better than SB Live! but I would say better than what you've got right now.
Finally, when you get the RAM, make sure it is 2700 with a cas latency (CS) of 2. You'll find cheaper CS 2.5, but it's horrible.

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.