A7N8X-DX RAM Problems

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I just recently assembled a system and everything was working fine. I have a 2600+ (333), A7N8X-DX mobo, and 2 sticks of 256MB Corsair CMX 2700 C2 working in the two blue DIMMS (The mobo comes with three DIMMS, 1 black and 2 blue, in that order from the cpu). Problems arrised when I installed my MP3 player's software... when the computer would be started, the monitor wouldn't turn on. Eight hours later I decided it was the RAM, so I took out both sticks and fitted one at a time into the black slot to make sure the RAM wasn't faulty. When I did this, the system booted up like normal both times. I then put the two sticks back into their blue DIMMS and again the monitor wouldn't turn on. It seemed to me that there was a problem with the blue DIMMS, so I tested them individually, similarly to the way I tested the black DIMM. When I put RAM into the first blue DIMM, the DIMM in the middle, the monitor wouldn't turn on, however the second DIMM worked fine. Because of this information, I installed the sticks into the two working slots (1 <font color=black> and 3 <font color=blue>) and presto! Problem is that the mobo is brand new and I want to make sure this is reason to RMA it and get another one. To me, the motherboard is f**ked! but I don't claim to know everything, so help would be appreciated. By the way, if you're thinking I should update the BIOS I'm way ahead of you there, the mobo came with an updated revision 1001G, the latest according to ASUS.

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

barnbuster

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
If you happen to get around to perusing through the destruction manual that came with the mobo it specifically states that you must use dimm slots 1 and 3 when using 2 dimms. This board is a very good board but is very finicky about it's setup. I have built 5 systems with this board and have had 0 problems with any of them. (except the fool who keeps loading Real 1 player with Win Xp Pro and Service pack 1 installed) Hope this hope this helps.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I have heard many many times it is the 2 blue slots for dual ddr. What give

Rob

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I seem to have heard the same thing, that it is the blue slots that accept the two dimms. What page of the manual are you referring to because I can't find any information on it?

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I believe (from what I have heard many many times in this forum) that the manual is incorrect, Halkebul or someone actually called asus and they told him that it was the second and third (blue) slots. I guess, the only REAL concrete way to find the answer, is call asus yourself... I know I would be interested in that answer too, so please post or email me if you find out. Another way to truly find out, benchmark. Benchmarks don't lie. Put your dimms in 1 and 3, test. Record results. Then swap them to the blue slots. test, record results and then compare! That will tell you for sure!

Good luck and don't forget to let me know!
Rob

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>