CD-Rom Recognition

I currently am using an HP Pavilion 7940 system with Windowns ME. Recently
deleted some DLL files accidently which were connected with both my CD-Rom
and DVD Player units installed on the computer. Now when I boot up both
units are not in the o/s at all. If I go to device manager they are not
listed. I went to the HP website but can't find out any information such as
the manufacturer of either unit so I could at least go to their websites and
maybe download the drivers. The HP site says to use the system recovery
disks but of course hard to do when they are cd-rom and you have no cd-rom
player according to the computer.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about recognition

    Mike,

    Reinstall ME in same folder (C:\WINDOWS) as the current copy.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:55:54 GMT, "Mike W" <mwharton@kc.rr.com> wrote:

    >I currently am using an HP Pavilion 7940 system with Windowns ME. Recently
    >deleted some DLL files accidently which were connected with both my CD-Rom
    >and DVD Player units installed on the computer. Now when I boot up both
    >units are not in the o/s at all. If I go to device manager they are not
    >listed. I went to the HP website but can't find out any information such as
    >the manufacturer of either unit so I could at least go to their websites and
    >maybe download the drivers. The HP site says to use the system recovery
    >disks but of course hard to do when they are cd-rom and you have no cd-rom
    >player according to the computer.
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Mike

    Ben,

    Maybe I'm being dense but how would I reinstall ME without being able to use
    my cd-rom and the system recovery disk? I tried system restore but no
    matter how far back I attempt to do this I can't get the storage devices
    back into the system.

    Mike,

    Not a problem. Either the BIOS permits booting from the CD-ROM drive or it does
    not. If it does, go into the motherboard BIOS setup and select CD-ROM as a
    bootable device before the hard drive in the boot order. If not, go to
    www.bootdisk.com , download the Windows ME boot disk IMAGE, and make up a
    bootable floppy from which Windows setup can be started and the CD-ROM drive
    read. If BOTH of these fail, you probably have a failed CD-ROM drive on your
    hands.

    Also, even with Windows ME, I'm fairly sure you can edit CONFIG.SYS and
    AUTOEXEC.BAT to recognize and use a CD-ROM drive with 16-bit DOS-mode drivers.
    But try booting from CD and reinstalling first... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:09:36 GMT, "Mike W" <mwharton@kc.rr.com> wrote:

    >Ben,
    >
    >Maybe I'm being dense but how would I reinstall ME without being able to use
    >my cd-rom and the system recovery disk? I tried system restore but no
    >matter how far back I attempt to do this I can't get the storage devices
    >back into the system.

    Maybe I need to quit while I'm ahead. I'm the first to say that I have no
    idea how to go into the motherboard BIOS setup or to download the Windows ME
    boot disk IMAGE.....I didn't see anything about a disk IMAGE anywhere on the
    site.

    I think I will just forgo anything else and take the computer in to get it
    worked on.....it would be safer for me to do that.

    Thanks for your help Ben....

    Mike,

    www.bootdisk.com advertises boot disks. In reality, they are all
    self-extracting programs which create the actual boot disk. Hence my use of the
    word IMAGE. You don't really download the boot disk, but the program to make
    one from an image store within the self-same program... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:32:24 GMT, "Mike W" <mwharton@kc.rr.com> wrote:

    >Maybe I need to quit while I'm ahead. I'm the first to say that I have no
    >idea how to go into the motherboard BIOS setup or to download the Windows ME
    >boot disk IMAGE.....I didn't see anything about a disk IMAGE anywhere on the
    >site.
    >
    >I think I will just forgo anything else and take the computer in to get it
    >worked on.....it would be safer for me to do that.
    >
    >Thanks for your help Ben....

    I just checked the specs on the 7940 at the hp web site. It is new enough to
    boot directly from a CD-ROM drive. Try the restore CD you got from HP to
    reinstall ME... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:32:24 GMT, "Mike W" <mwharton@kc.rr.com> wrote:

    >Maybe I need to quit while I'm ahead. I'm the first to say that I have no
    >idea how to go into the motherboard BIOS setup or to download the Windows ME
    >boot disk IMAGE.....I didn't see anything about a disk IMAGE anywhere on the
    >site.
    >
    >I think I will just forgo anything else and take the computer in to get it
    >worked on.....it would be safer for me to do that.
    >
    >Thanks for your help Ben....

Hewlett Packard CD-Rom Computers