Your question
Closed

Sony Kills Off Linux Support in New PS3 Update

Last response: in News comments
March 29, 2010 1:33:25 PM

Epic picture.
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 1:40:52 PM

This mostly hurts the individual enthusiast. Research groups that use the PS3 as a mini super computer probably don't depend on it's ability to play new games or interface with PSN.
March 29, 2010 1:41:49 PM

...and this is how you step backwards !
March 29, 2010 1:41:57 PM

Well s@#$t Linux and Battlefield 1943(Online) were the 2 reason I even have a ps3. I have to choose? This is Sony BS through and through, someone probably found out how to mod the console via Linux..
March 29, 2010 1:42:38 PM

sony, go die in a hole. linux is king.
March 29, 2010 1:43:06 PM

ZZZzzz, I had one of the first PS3 models and installed the one flavor of Linux that was designed for it. It was OK but nothing to right home about. I will stick with my Linux running my laptop and leave the PS3 to do what it does best, play games and watch blue ray movies.
March 29, 2010 1:43:54 PM

I see it like that.
Always removing features since the original PS3.

First PS3 at E3 -> Quote from Wikipedia "The initial prototype shown in May 2005 featured two HDMI ports, three Ethernet ports and six USB ports"

Released product -> "when the system was shown again a year later at E3 2006, these were reduced to one HDMI port, one Ethernet port and four USB ports"

80Gb version, software PS2 backward compatibility.

40Gb PS3, no PS2 backward compatibility and only 2 USB ports.

PS3 Slim, no Other OS support.

Wow sony, stop removing stuff of your PS3, I paid my PS3 Fat with the linux support on it, I shouldn't have features removed from my PS3 once I paid for them.
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 1:46:40 PM

After April 1st?
March 29, 2010 1:50:16 PM

Everyone bought this thing for different things. My reason was Blu-ray movie playback. So is something like below going to happen sometime? Very bad business to sell something and remove those selling point features. People should be able to return the product. It would be like buying a car because it has a 5.0 litre engine, then the company recalls the engine and give you a 2.0. Not the same product.
March 29, 2010 1:51:51 PM

The only reason I see for this change is to prevent hacking (such as a possible back door into the system).

Why else restrict a feature thats been part of the system for last 1.5 years?

That or they're too lazy to maintain 2 OS variants, one with the linux feature for the Fats, and one without on the slims.
March 29, 2010 1:51:59 PM

sorry, site messed up on me, whats next blu-ray playback removed....
March 29, 2010 1:58:50 PM

"However, Sony today announced that after April 1, users running Linux would no longer be able to access their data."

ugh..... tell me that is just an April fool's joke..please!!!!

Though I have yet to install a Linux OS on my PS3 80G, it is still sad to hear the news...
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 2:00:30 PM

I will have to a agree, some of us paid top dollar for features that were advertised on the box. If they take away the features i paid for, can i have a refund, since my PS3 will no longer work as advertised.

Sigh... I fear I'll wake up and see a "All PS2 backwards compatibility have been removed for security reasons" Which would remove the primary reason i bought a PS3 early (Secondary was Linux...and eventually games i wanted to play were released). Class action lawsuit time.
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 2:03:54 PM

average lifespan of a console is 5 years why would sony make a bonehead move like this? Disgruntling the homebrew crowd is a sure fire way to get your stuff hacked
March 29, 2010 2:05:58 PM

I hope it's a April 1st joke. Sony almost made a perfect PowerPC nettop for the masses, had ready made OS for it with OpenOffice, Firefox, Opera, KDE, printer drivers and stuff. All that was missing was more RAM and a second PowerPC core and PS3 would be a real alternative for your PC.. it plays blueray, crysis and is 3D ready after all... and now they are scrapping it instead of making $$ of it.
March 29, 2010 2:07:38 PM

There will probably be a hacked version of the BIOS available somewhere soon. Linux-people are tough breed and won't let this be an obstacle.
March 29, 2010 2:07:49 PM

Doesn't bother me as I don't own one but it's wonderful to see a company removing usability from a product that they have already sold to people who expected that usability when they purchased their product.

Oh, I'm sorry.... That's right... People don't "OWN" the product they have purchased. It belongs to (insert the company here) and not the person to whom they sold the product..

This is a very bad trend.
March 29, 2010 2:10:02 PM

Until now, hackers were not too interested in cracking the PS3; it did run Linux.

Now that it doesn't, I becha on April 10th there will be a crack available. And in July, a crack that allows booting the 'regular' firmware or a complete Linux stack.
March 29, 2010 2:18:17 PM

In an effort to further reduce intrusions and threats, Sony will be releasing firmware 3.33 which will disable the use of the Playstation Network as well as Blu-Ray playback for both games and videos. All content downloaded on your PS3 will also be erased to reduce the risk of further infection from data infected in previous versions of the firmware. Next year, it is expected that Sony will release the long awaited 4.0 firmware which will activate a five second self destruct sequence on your PS3. This, shortly followed by the release of the Playstation 4.
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 2:23:46 PM

Does the next update remove support for PSX/PS2 games?
March 29, 2010 2:29:39 PM

What their doing is illegal, flat out. I purchase my console with that feature in mind. It was an advertised feature. I hope a lawsuit's coming and I hope their console gets cracked wide open.

Sony has stepped over the line with this one.
March 29, 2010 2:37:44 PM

April 1...

Its getting old.
March 29, 2010 2:38:38 PM

I agree with qwed88. I purchased the PS3 when it first came out (very pricey) and one of the reasons was because of the linux support. I never use it though because the PS3 has so little memory it can't run anything anyway.
March 29, 2010 2:40:42 PM

Wow, didn't the US government just buy 100,000 Ps3's last year, and now Sony wants to disable the part that Government bought them for.
March 29, 2010 2:41:18 PM

Wow, its a good thing I don't use any of those features anyway. Especially since I got my Plextor USB PX-B310U to play Blu-Ray's on my PC and reserve my PS3 for PSX/PS2 and the lone PS3 game I happen to own. You would be smart to stop taking features away from your system that people have already purchased and concentrate on real, honest to go RPG's. After all, that was what made the PSX and the PS2 worth owning for me.
March 29, 2010 2:41:38 PM

Just more proof that Sony doesn't believe you *own* anything you buy from them. You just *lease* it, with their beneficence.
March 29, 2010 2:50:26 PM

Man im starting to hate Sony. You take Linux support from me on ps3,it's only going to hurt you. I will just get a xbox360 and not buy anything sony anymore. That's 2 stikes now sony. The PSP crap was +1.
March 29, 2010 2:50:41 PM

This is in response to not even a month ago when someone finally found a way to crack the PS3, enabling access to the 3d hardware via Linux.
March 29, 2010 2:53:15 PM

Wow, stupid move Sony.

The things we will do for DRM.

It's not a feature I care about, but it's pretty lame. Apparently it was about to be hacked.
March 29, 2010 2:54:55 PM

The PS3 is a gaming console the fact that you *could* load linux on it was a novelty, at best. People shouldn't get their panties in a bunch because Sony is removing linux support. IMO, the PS3 fails as a multimedia console anyway...I bought it for the cheap Blu-Ray player and for games...God of War 3 FTW!!!!!

Just dual boot your computer if you want to run linux...
March 29, 2010 2:55:31 PM

man linux worked for me. it was better at surfing the net then the standard ps3 browser. I could try something on my computer, when it didnt work, switch over to linux on the ps3, and search on firefox for a fix. psubuntu FTW
March 29, 2010 2:57:05 PM

The only thing surprising about this is that it took them so long to shut it down.
March 29, 2010 3:05:15 PM

ArglebargleJust more proof that Sony doesn't believe you *own* anything you buy from them. You just *lease* it, with their beneficence.

Microsoft with their console isn't any better. At least I had a 500GB HD in my PS3.
March 29, 2010 3:11:46 PM

What is so unbelievable. Linux was not advertised as a feature. It ALWAYS had unofficial support only. They don't make money from a console not buying games. Plus its literally bad for everyone, bad for PR when a hacking story mentions using a ps3. The gov ,or military may have tested them to mimic what others might do, but they don't need ps3's to accomplish that.
March 29, 2010 3:15:52 PM

slymaelstromIn an effort to further reduce intrusions and threats, Sony will be releasing firmware 2.33 which will disable the use of the Playstation Network as well as Blu-Ray playback for both games and videos. All content downloaded on your PS3 will also be erased to reduce the risk of data infect in previous versions of the firmware. Next year, it is expected that Sony will release the long awaited 3.0 firmware which will activate a five second self destruct sequence on your PS3. This shortly followed by the release of the Playstation 4.
:D  this made me lmao, also got me thinking about nVidia's recent driver based 'overheating issue' just before the release of the fermi series. hmmmm......suspicious ;) 
March 29, 2010 3:26:04 PM

I only use my XUbuntu partition like once every 2 or 3 months, but this still sucks. On the bright side I really need that 10gb back, I'm running low on space.
March 29, 2010 3:33:03 PM

troger5troger5sorry, site messed up on me, whats next blu-ray playback removed....

The blu-ray copy protection gets updated periodically (Which is why blu-ray players have internet access for firmware updates).

Out of date PS3 firmware means the play station network denies the console access. This in turn means newer blu-ray discs are not 100% guaranteed to work.
March 29, 2010 3:35:15 PM

Wow. Even the latest BIOS update on my PC still allows me to run Linux and Windows if I want.
March 29, 2010 3:40:05 PM

toms whats they're e-mail I would love to write them and tell them what I think.
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 3:42:53 PM

Just wish I could get my PS3. I ordered it in late January and it is backordered till June 1st thus far. What is going on with Sony?
March 29, 2010 3:47:06 PM

this is crap u use my ps3 when im deployed as a computer to send e-mails to home video chat when family.... i installed a SSD for speed and i love it....... no more entertainment when im deployed now.....
March 29, 2010 3:47:11 PM

This is obviously an April fools joke people. Sony already said they wouldn't take this feature out. Plus come on update on April 1st? Just too easy...
March 29, 2010 3:56:53 PM

I don't really care about Linux support, but it would be lame if I did someday and the option wasn't there.

I'm sure this is to avoid the exploit that Tom's mentioned that uses Linux suport.

This is like gun laws! Hurt the legal people while not affecting the criminal!
March 29, 2010 4:06:33 PM

all microsoft has to do to win the console war is enable linux on their game systems.
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 4:09:10 PM

If Linux is all that insecure, Sony should remove support for Linux from their PCs as well. They're not going to do that, because the "security concerns" claim is completely bogus. This is the media production arm of Sony controlling the hardware arm of Sony for the benefit of securing profits, not securing systems.
March 29, 2010 4:11:47 PM

mitch074Until now, hackers were not too interested in cracking the PS3; it did run Linux.Now that it doesn't, I becha on April 10th there will be a crack available. And in July, a crack that allows booting the 'regular' firmware or a complete Linux stack.

It is amusing how random people think that just because you could run a copy of Linux on it before, that nobody was interested in bypassing the copy protection to play free games. Two completely different types of developers, since the home brew crowd is a bit more mature than that.

Anyway, it has already been done. Long, long ago.
March 29, 2010 4:18:57 PM

Wow all these comments and nobody notices the supposed date of the support kill: April 1, aka April Fools. I wouldn't be so quick to buy it.
March 29, 2010 4:20:21 PM

hmmmm nice move sony~
!