Sony Kills Off Linux Support in New PS3 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This mostly hurts the individual enthusiast. Research groups that use the PS3 as a mini super computer probably don't depend on it's ability to play new games or interface with PSN.

pcxt21

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Well s@#$t Linux and Battlefield 1943(Online) were the 2 reason I even have a ps3. I have to choose? This is Sony BS through and through, someone probably found out how to mod the console via Linux..

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
ZZZzzz, I had one of the first PS3 models and installed the one flavor of Linux that was designed for it. It was OK but nothing to right home about. I will stick with my Linux running my laptop and leave the PS3 to do what it does best, play games and watch blue ray movies.

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I see it like that.
Always removing features since the original PS3.

First PS3 at E3 -> Quote from Wikipedia "The initial prototype shown in May 2005 featured two HDMI ports, three Ethernet ports and six USB ports"

Released product -> "when the system was shown again a year later at E3 2006, these were reduced to one HDMI port, one Ethernet port and four USB ports"

80Gb version, software PS2 backward compatibility.

40Gb PS3, no PS2 backward compatibility and only 2 USB ports.

PS3 Slim, no Other OS support.

Wow sony, stop removing stuff of your PS3, I paid my PS3 Fat with the linux support on it, I shouldn't have features removed from my PS3 once I paid for them.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Everyone bought this thing for different things. My reason was Blu-ray movie playback. So is something like below going to happen sometime? Very bad business to sell something and remove those selling point features. People should be able to return the product. It would be like buying a car because it has a 5.0 litre engine, then the company recalls the engine and give you a 2.0. Not the same product.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
The only reason I see for this change is to prevent hacking (such as a possible back door into the system).

Why else restrict a feature thats been part of the system for last 1.5 years?

That or they're too lazy to maintain 2 OS variants, one with the linux feature for the Fats, and one without on the slims.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"However, Sony today announced that after April 1, users running Linux would no longer be able to access their data."

ugh..... tell me that is just an April fool's joke..please!!!!

Though I have yet to install a Linux OS on my PS3 80G, it is still sad to hear the news...

G

I will have to a agree, some of us paid top dollar for features that were advertised on the box. If they take away the features i paid for, can i have a refund, since my PS3 will no longer work as advertised.

Sigh... I fear I'll wake up and see a "All PS2 backwards compatibility have been removed for security reasons" Which would remove the primary reason i bought a PS3 early (Secondary was Linux...and eventually games i wanted to play were released). Class action lawsuit time.

G

average lifespan of a console is 5 years why would sony make a bonehead move like this? Disgruntling the homebrew crowd is a sure fire way to get your stuff hacked

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I hope it's a April 1st joke. Sony almost made a perfect PowerPC nettop for the masses, had ready made OS for it with OpenOffice, Firefox, Opera, KDE, printer drivers and stuff. All that was missing was more RAM and a second PowerPC core and PS3 would be a real alternative for your PC.. it plays blueray, crysis and is 3D ready after all... and now they are scrapping it instead of making $$ of it.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
There will probably be a hacked version of the BIOS available somewhere soon. Linux-people are tough breed and won't let this be an obstacle.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Doesn't bother me as I don't own one but it's wonderful to see a company removing usability from a product that they have already sold to people who expected that usability when they purchased their product.

Oh, I'm sorry.... That's right... People don't "OWN" the product they have purchased. It belongs to (insert the company here) and not the person to whom they sold the product..

This is a very bad trend.

Until now, hackers were not too interested in cracking the PS3; it did run Linux.

Now that it doesn't, I becha on April 10th there will be a crack available. And in July, a crack that allows booting the 'regular' firmware or a complete Linux stack.

SlyMaelstrom

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
In an effort to further reduce intrusions and threats, Sony will be releasing firmware 3.33 which will disable the use of the Playstation Network as well as Blu-Ray playback for both games and videos. All content downloaded on your PS3 will also be erased to reduce the risk of further infection from data infected in previous versions of the firmware. Next year, it is expected that Sony will release the long awaited 4.0 firmware which will activate a five second self destruct sequence on your PS3. This, shortly followed by the release of the Playstation 4.

qwed88

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
What their doing is illegal, flat out. I purchase my console with that feature in mind. It was an advertised feature. I hope a lawsuit's coming and I hope their console gets cracked wide open.

Sony has stepped over the line with this one.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I agree with qwed88. I purchased the PS3 when it first came out (very pricey) and one of the reasons was because of the linux support. I never use it though because the PS3 has so little memory it can't run anything anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.