Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Annoying things with XP - any way around them?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 11:44:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

1. Every other computer application in the world sorts file.jpg BEFORE
file2.jpg (as an example), however, XP chooses to do it the other way. How
annoying. Can I change this?

2. The sound control icon is no longer in the systray as it was in Win98.
Any way to get it there?

3. Every time I reboot, all my Type 1 fonts are uninstalled only leaving me
with True Type fonts. It's annoying to have to keep reinstalling them. Is
there a way around this?

4. Win98 had the desktop icon in the File | Save As window. XP doesn't
have this and it takes more time to constantly select it from the Save In
drop down window. Any way to get the icon back? I consider it a bad move to
remove this icon - I used it all the time.

5. When I do a Search for a file name, the settings from my last search are
never remembered. 98 percent of my searches are in one particular folder.
Any way to get this setting remembered?

More about : annoying things

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 1:23:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"SagCynthia" wrote:

> 1. Every other computer application in the world sorts file.jpg BEFORE
> file2.jpg (as an example), however, XP chooses to do it the other way. How
> annoying. Can I change this?

#1. In the example that you gave the fifth character of file.jpg is a "."
and the fifth character of file2.jpg is a "2" In the "collating" sequence
the "." comes before the "2" In binary (the only thing that a computer
understands), these characters are 00101110 and 00110010 respecively. The
former will sequence prior to the latter.

>
> 2. The sound control icon is no longer in the systray as it was in Win98.
> Any way to get it there?
>
> 3. Every time I reboot, all my Type 1 fonts are uninstalled only leaving me
> with True Type fonts. It's annoying to have to keep reinstalling them. Is
> there a way around this?
>
> 4. Win98 had the desktop icon in the File | Save As window. XP doesn't
> have this and it takes more time to constantly select it from the Save In
> drop down window. Any way to get the icon back? I consider it a bad move to
> remove this icon - I used it all the time.
>
> 5. When I do a Search for a file name, the settings from my last search are
> never remembered. 98 percent of my searches are in one particular folder.
> Any way to get this setting remembered?
>
#5. Place the one particular folder in the My Documents folder where you
always know where it is.

#2,3,&4 You'll have to wait for someone else to answer.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 3:57:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:44:03 -0800, SagCynthia wrote:

> 1. Every other computer application in the world sorts file.jpg BEFORE
> file2.jpg (as an example), however, XP chooses to do it the other way. How
> annoying. Can I change this?
>
> 2. The sound control icon is no longer in the systray as it was in Win98.
> Any way to get it there?
>
> 3. Every time I reboot, all my Type 1 fonts are uninstalled only leaving me
> with True Type fonts. It's annoying to have to keep reinstalling them. Is
> there a way around this?
>
> 4. Win98 had the desktop icon in the File | Save As window. XP doesn't
> have this and it takes more time to constantly select it from the Save In
> drop down window. Any way to get the icon back? I consider it a bad move to
> remove this icon - I used it all the time.
>
> 5. When I do a Search for a file name, the settings from my last search are
> never remembered. 98 percent of my searches are in one particular folder.
> Any way to get this setting remembered?

1. There are ways to change the sort order in XP but I prefer not to mess
with it. Instead I've adapted to the new sort order. Seems easier to go
with the flow than to force a change and live with the possibility that it
might backfire down the road. But we each like what we like so you may want
to try the following:

Change the Sort Order Back to W2K Style (Line 107)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

2. Control Panel (classic view)> Sounds and Audio Devices> Volume: Place a
check next to "Place volume icon in the taskbar."

3. No idea why that is happening. How are you installing them? Using Fonts>
Install Fonts or another method?

4. Click the "Up One Level" button in the toolbar. May need to click twice
depending on your starting point. Eventually, you'll see Desktop in the
list.

5. Workaround: Try a saved search. When you double click the *.fnd file,
Search will open set up starting in the same folder. I tried this with a
saved "files named test" file. Easy matter to change the file name on each
use.

Creating a shortcut to folder, right clicking and selecting Search will
work too.

Or use an alternative find tool that can be configured to save the previous
search location. I like File Locator Pro. Agent Ransack from the same
vendor is free and is also good: www.mythicsoft.com

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 17, 2004 1:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
news:1F04173D-4EAB-4D1D-9DA3-1F196B741A78@microsoft.com...
|
|
| "SagCynthia" wrote:
|
| > 1. Every other computer application in the world sorts
file.jpg BEFORE
| > file2.jpg (as an example), however, XP chooses to do it the
other way. How
| > annoying. Can I change this?
|
| #1. In the example that you gave the fifth character of
file.jpg is a "."
| and the fifth character of file2.jpg is a "2" In the
"collating" sequence
| the "." comes before the "2" In binary (the only thing that a
computer
| understands), these characters are 00101110 and 00110010
respecively. The
| former will sequence prior to the latter.

Unless you've mixed up Ascending/Descending, that's normal on 98
too. I use both os's.

|
| >
| > 2. The sound control icon is no longer in the systray as it
was in Win98.
| > Any way to get it there?

Check out Control Panel, anything to do with Audio - I know
there's a setting in thre for it. There are other ways too but I
don't recall them at the moment.

| >
| > 3. Every time I reboot, all my Type 1 fonts are uninstalled
only leaving me
| > with True Type fonts. It's annoying to have to keep
reinstalling them. Is
| > there a way around this?

Something's not right there: have you "installed" those fonts?
Also check out the app's controls. Can't help there without more
details.

| >
| > 4. Win98 had the desktop icon in the File | Save As window.
XP doesn't
| > have this and it takes more time to constantly select it from
the Save In
| > drop down window. Any way to get the icon back? I consider
it a bad move to
| > remove this icon - I used it all the time.

Win 98 doesn't have such a menu; neither does XP. Applications,
however, DO, like Word, Excel, et al. Open the program, select
Tools, Customize, and customize the menues to your heart's
content.

| >
| > 5. When I do a Search for a file name, the settings from my
last search are
| > never remembered. 98 percent of my searches are in one
particular folder.
| > Any way to get this setting remembered?

Save the search. Or, as suggested, move the folder over to My
Documents where it'll be easy to find. My Documents is meant as
a place to save all your data; it's a "special" folder which
cannot be dragged and dropped, etc., for your use and the
system's use with anything that is specifically about you. Each
user has their own My Documents folder for that user's files.
"Document", IMO, is a gross misnomer; it's meant to be for ALL of
your files to be saved to, and most programs default to that
folder by default in XP. Remember, XP is written for a
multi-user environment. Once you get used to it, you'll like it.

| >
| #5. Place the one particular folder in the My Documents folder
where you
| always know where it is.
|
| #2,3,&4 You'll have to wait for someone else to answer.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 5:39:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:44:03 -0800, SagCynthia wrote:
>
> > 1. Every other computer application in the world sorts file.jpg BEFORE
> > file2.jpg (as an example), however, XP chooses to do it the other way. How
> > annoying. Can I change this?
> >
> > 2. The sound control icon is no longer in the systray as it was in Win98.
> > Any way to get it there?
> >
> > 3. Every time I reboot, all my Type 1 fonts are uninstalled only leaving me
> > with True Type fonts. It's annoying to have to keep reinstalling them. Is
> > there a way around this?
> >
> > 4. Win98 had the desktop icon in the File | Save As window. XP doesn't
> > have this and it takes more time to constantly select it from the Save In
> > drop down window. Any way to get the icon back? I consider it a bad move to
> > remove this icon - I used it all the time.
> >
> > 5. When I do a Search for a file name, the settings from my last search are
> > never remembered. 98 percent of my searches are in one particular folder.
> > Any way to get this setting remembered?
>
> 1. There are ways to change the sort order in XP but I prefer not to mess
> with it. Instead I've adapted to the new sort order. Seems easier to go
> with the flow than to force a change and live with the possibility that it
> might backfire down the road. But we each like what we like so you may want
> to try the following:
>
> Change the Sort Order Back to W2K Style (Line 107)
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Yes, thank you - you noticed the new sort order too. So, I'll ahve to decide
if I want to take the chance.

> 2. Control Panel (classic view)> Sounds and Audio Devices> Volume: Place a
> check next to "Place volume icon in the taskbar."

Beautiful! Thanks!

> 3. No idea why that is happening. How are you installing them? Using Fonts>
> Install Fonts or another method?

I use Bitstream's Font Navigator. They have drag and drop installation of
fonts and it worked fine in 98. Maybe I need a new version. By the way, if
you work with a lot of fonts, it's an awesome program. MS's font handling
has never been exemplary.

> 4. Click the "Up One Level" button in the toolbar. May need to click twice
> depending on your starting point. Eventually, you'll see Desktop in the
> list.

Thank you, I'm aware of that method. It was just much more efficient to be
able to click the desktop icon from the File | Save As window. Guess there's
no way to get it back.

> 5. Workaround: Try a saved search. When you double click the *.fnd file,
> Search will open set up starting in the same folder. I tried this with a
> saved "files named test" file. Easy matter to change the file name on each
> use.

Hmmm, I tried this, but it still just went to the root of C instead of
coming up with the folder I had specified. :( 

> Creating a shortcut to folder, right clicking and selecting Search will
> work too.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just do that.

> Or use an alternative find tool that can be configured to save the previous
> search location. I like File Locator Pro. Agent Ransack from the same
> vendor is free and is also good: www.mythicsoft.com

I will check these out. Many thanks!

> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>
!