omg, SpaceSiege demo Sux!

jimr9999us

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
wth is it gonna take for a decent sci fi shooter on pc? I mean, the rumors of innerward going to the future for CoD make me a little dizzy, but c'mon! And by shooter, I mean a game WITHOUT DRIVING ELEMENTS IN IT WHAT-SO-EVER (yeah, i'm talking to You id and bioware. wth!). If i wanted to race around, i'd plug in my n64 and play some diddy kong racing.

stalker was close...any recommendations out there?

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
But Sci-fi is set in the future, and is based around technology. This would no doubt involve some form of transport. Im assuming any sci fi "bad guy" would no doubt have no trouble destroying a civilizaton limited to walking everywhere.

Unless the story is that all human transport comes alive, rips off our legs and we are left with no choice but to crwal around and shoot.

And what the hell is spacesiege

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Space Siege is a follow-up to Dungeon Siege II from Chris Taylor and Gas Powered Games.

Space Siege isn't a "shooter," it's more of an action RPG.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Haha I feel like I'm the only one who liked the Space Siege demo. It sure didn't get much hype at all, or any marketing really - but I played through the demo twice and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. (Not as much as I've been sucked into Titan Quest lately, though) IGN gave it like a 6.4 or something horrible...I guess the game gets really repetitive later on or something.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I would love vehicles in stalker, traipsing across the whole map for hours sucks. But I know what you mean, vehicles don't suit every game.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

+1

I stopped playing Mass Effect once I got to the driving on the planet bit... Has to be the worst ever!!

Battlefield series benefit from vehicles however so its a mixed bag....

Bob

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
At first I kinda liked the driving bits in Mass Effect, but it did get old quick.

As for space siege, I haven't paid it any attention because I hated dungeon siege. I was aware that it was coming soon, but couldn't be buggered to care.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Well to answer your question about upcoming games, here's a few you might be looking for:

FPS:
-Aliens: Colonial Marines
-Interstellar Marines

3rd Person Shooter:
-Dead Space
-Fallout 3

There are other titles in development but you'd have to wait for a while (i.e. Doom 4).

Until then, you can enjoy games like Crysis or Crysis Warhead as I don't think any other Sci-fi FPS are coming out this year. It's a good year to catch up on old titles you might have missed. Bioshock?

DannyBoy27

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Dude - just wait until the end of the month and buy STALKER : Clear Skies
Going to own every FPS for a while ( i love the rpg elements in it too ).

Ahhhhh - if you want to be totally immersed in a FPS then i recommend installing STALKER with the latest Oblivion Lost, Float 32 and SHARPER Textures mods. It totally change the game. The mods drastically increase the graphics quality and features. It also changes the game play to how it was meant to be - and i mean that. Better AI - faction battles, better pacing of items and weapons and BlowOuts which change the game completely :)
and..... @rtfm. You get to drive vehicles around in it. But its great and not overdone.

I havent played such a fantasticallly immersive FPS in ages. Bestest ever ( until Clear Skies comes out.

Also - wait for Legendary ( check it out ). Looks like its going to be a crazy and unique FPS.