Once again I am a wits end....
windows 98se
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 200+
Crucial pc2100 512 mbs
Gainward Ti 4200 ultra 650 128mb
Turtle beach Sant cruz
6 cooling fans
I have (as well as my local pc shop) been trying to get this mobo working right for a week, formatted and re-installed os 4 times!
One problem is it will not shut down all the way.
The other is trying to use the on-board rj45 to hook up dsl, when going to crontol panel-network, everytime I close the network box it asks for a file, portman.dos from win 98 disk, I point to disc and it pretends to copy and load it, but everytime I go there it asks again and again.
When trying to hook up DSL modem,it will not allow me to release or renew the IP!
In winipcfg it shows "3com etherlink pci", is that the correct one?
I am using the 3com rj45 connector on the motherboard, so whats up?
in device manager, network adapters:
3com 3c920b-emb integrated fast ehternet controller.
I have disabled the nvidia lan in c-mos.
Also device manager shows repeats of the following:
motherboard resources 3 times
PCI standard PCI TO PCI Bridge 3 times
PCI standard RAM controller 5 times!
Is there any hope for this non-tech fool!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the help.

To err is human, too really screw things up you need a computer!

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I would have to agree, get rid of windows 98 and your problems will more than likely go away. Don't even think about going to windows ME. Use either windows 2000 or XP. I would recommend XP as more programs would probably be compatible with xp, as it is also newer. Hope this helps.

Stormfury

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
hehehe looks like I'm not the only one that runs win98. I would have to say get a new os. Hopefully my xp I ordered will fix a few sound problems. A problem I have with this mobo is that my bios says my 1800 is 145 F and my asus probe says its 96F. Which one should I trust. Oh yeah its bios versoin G.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm using a a7n8x, with a xp2000, Ti4200 8x agp, 512meg Geil PC3200 (actually, clocked at 133 =( , SB live value, a nappy sony 8x4x24 cdr, liteon 16x dvdrom. And a number of fans.

It's working quite well. Had it lock up on me earlier this evening during Jedi Knight 2. But that's the first time, and it was at the higher memory clock rate. Geil memory isn't all that outstanding.

Personally, I'd chuck windows98. Sure, sure. I know you're scared. And I know you don't have time to learn a new OS.

But you're going to have to. That windows98se?

It's really just Ms-Dos. Your computer is running Ms-Dos right now. It's Ms-Dos 7.1. Windows95 is Ms-Dos 7.0, and WindowsME is Ms-Dos 7.2.

It's time to swap out an OS. If you know any halfway friendly college kids, they can pickup XP for you from the campus store for $15 or under.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

TRENDING THREADS