One cannot upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 95.
A "clean install" of Windows XP is required, assuming your
hardware meets the minimum requirements to install and run
Windows XP.

Windows XP supported upgrade paths
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp

System Requirements for Windows XP Operating Systems

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"JerryA" wrote:

| Will a person lose all his programs on Win95 if one loads WinXP oer it ???

One cannot *upgrade* from 95 to XP.

If you're still running 95, are your PC specs up to XP's minimum
requirements?

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"JerryA" <usmcy2k@cox.net> wrote in message
> Will a person lose all his programs on Win95 if one loads WinXP oer it
> ???

I don't know if this is still true. While it was not listed as a 'supported' upgrade, XP would in fact upgrade a 9x system, originally. I don't know if SP1 or SP2 broke that or not.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"James M. Fisher" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message news:%23n7G56DzEHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> One cannot *upgrade* from 95 to XP.
>
> If you're still running 95, are your PC specs up to XP's minimum
> requirements?
>
> --
> James M. Fisher
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
> http://computerhaven.info/
> <Please reply in the newsgroups>
>
> "JerryA" <usmcy2k@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Will a person lose all his programs on Win95 if one loads WinXP oer it
>> ???

Doug, I was basing my answer on Gary Woodruff's article here:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

as well as this MS page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

--

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
> I don't know if this is still true. While it was not listed as a 'supported' upgrade, XP would in fact upgrade a 9x system, originally. I don't know if SP1 or SP2 broke that or not.

XP will upgrade 98 or higher in the 9x line. It will not upgrade
Windows 95. Windows 95 will work as a qualifying upgrade product to
meet the requirements for doing a clean install using the upgrade disk,
but you cannot upgrade Windows 95 to XP.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Ok, thanks, Tom. That's what I was remembering.

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23$H22bEzEHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>> I don't know if this is still true. While it was not listed as a 'supported' upgrade, XP would in fact upgrade a 9x system, originally. I don't know if SP1 or SP2 broke that or not.
>>

> XP will upgrade 98 or higher in the 9x line. It will not upgrade
> Windows 95. Windows 95 will work as a qualifying upgrade product to
> meet the requirements for doing a clean install using the upgrade disk,
> but you cannot upgrade Windows 95 to XP.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Yep, I had it wrong. :) See my reply to Tom.

"James M. Fisher" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message news:u4A83VEzEHA.3028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Doug, I was basing my answer on Gary Woodruff's article here:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>
> as well as this MS page:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
>

> --
> James M. Fisher
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
> http://computerhaven.info/
> <Please reply in the newsgroups>
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> I don't know if this is still true. While it was not listed as a 'supported'
> upgrade, XP would in fact upgrade a 9x system, originally. I don't know if
> SP1 or SP2 broke that or not.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "James M. Fisher" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message
>> One cannot *upgrade* from 95 to XP.
>>
>> If you're still running 95, are your PC specs up to XP's minimum
>> requirements?
>>
>> --
>> James M. Fisher
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://jmfmvps.mvps.org
>> http://computerhaven.info/
>> <Please reply in the newsgroups>
>>
>> "JerryA" <usmcy2k@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Will a person lose all his programs on Win95 if one loads WinXP oer it
>>> ???

Carey,

Thank you for the informative links. I, too, am attempting to upgrade my
Win95 setup to XP Home. I see that this is not possible using convention
means...my attempt was to upgrade using my MSDN Pro subscription dvd of XP
Home.

My question is...if I install a new hard disk and do a clean install of
XP from my dvd, will I effectively have a dual-boot system? I read somewhere
that XP can be installed into any logical partition, so is it correct to
assume that a setup of Win95 on C: and XP Home on D: would be possible?
Also, how would I set up the dual-boot, or does XP handle this for me while
creating the new XP partition?

Bottom line...is there a reasonable means for me to "migrate" my old 95
configuration (programs, reg settings, etc.) to XP, or at least get them to
co-exist in a dual-boot environment (the former scenario is preferable)?

Thank you.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> One cannot upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 95.
> A "clean install" of Windows XP is required, assuming your
> hardware meets the minimum requirements to install and run
> Windows XP.
>
> Windows XP supported upgrade paths
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp
>
> System Requirements for Windows XP Operating Systems
>
> Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "JerryA" wrote:
>
> | Will a person lose all his programs on Win95 if one loads WinXP oer it ???

Unfortunately your "bottom-line" isn't going to work easily. As you know you
can not upgrade overtop of Windows 95. So the best you can hope for is to
use the FAST to backup your current settings and then reapply those again
after you have reinstalled the programs that they go with. See the info here
on using FAST http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Another option would be to upgrade from Windows 95 to a later version of
Windows like Win98SE or Me and then upgrade again to XP. If that upgrade
went smoothly you might find that the transition up again to XP would work
well enough. Check here for Upgrade tips from Windows 95 ->Windows 98/Me
http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/tips/Win98/Upgrading/upgrading_from_windows_95_to_98.htm

Upgrade tips from Windows 98/Me/2000 -> XP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"anyware" <anyware@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Carey,
|
| Thank you for the informative links. I, too, am attempting to upgrade
my
| Win95 setup to XP Home. I see that this is not possible using convention
| means...my attempt was to upgrade using my MSDN Pro subscription dvd of XP
| Home.
|
| My question is...if I install a new hard disk and do a clean install
of
| XP from my dvd, will I effectively have a dual-boot system? I read
somewhere
| that XP can be installed into any logical partition, so is it correct to
| assume that a setup of Win95 on C: and XP Home on D: would be possible?
| Also, how would I set up the dual-boot, or does XP handle this for me
while
| creating the new XP partition?
|
| Bottom line...is there a reasonable means for me to "migrate" my old
95
| configuration (programs, reg settings, etc.) to XP, or at least get them
| co-exist in a dual-boot environment (the former scenario is preferable)?
|
| Thank you.
|
| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > One cannot upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 95.
| > A "clean install" of Windows XP is required, assuming your
| > hardware meets the minimum requirements to install and run
| > Windows XP.
| >
| > Windows XP supported upgrade paths

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp

| > System Requirements for Windows XP Operating Systems
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=314865
| >
| > Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726
| >
| > Clean Install Windows XP
| > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
| >
| > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| >
| > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

--------

| > "JerryA" wrote:
| >
| > | Will a person lose all his programs on Win95 if one loads WinXP oer it
???

Hi Harry,
Thanks for the reminder about FAST...I hadn't thought to use it for the
new XP Home installation. Could you refresh my memory as to whether or not I
will also need to re-install all the applications from my Win95 partition, or
would FAST "compress" these and install on the new XP partition for me? I
may not have all of my applications' original disks.

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> [...]
> | Also, how would I set up the dual-boot, or does XP handle this for me
> while
> | creating the new XP partition?
> |
> | Bottom line...is there a reasonable means for me to "migrate" my old
> 95
> | configuration (programs, reg settings, etc.) to XP, or at least get them
> | co-exist in a dual-boot environment (the former scenario is preferable)?
> |
> | Thank you.
> |
> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> |
> | > One cannot upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 95.
> | > A "clean install" of Windows XP is required, assuming your
> | > hardware meets the minimum requirements to install and run
> | > Windows XP.
> | >
> | > Windows XP supported upgrade paths
> | >
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp
> | >
> | > System Requirements for Windows XP Operating Systems

pop

Yes, it's possible but, IMO, a little complicated unless you have
something like Partition Magic, which was recently sold by
Powerdesk to Symantec and still has all Powerdesk
links/references to Powerdesk. I bought it for a decent price
since it's available at Symantec as an "upgrade" for most of
their product line, including AV.

Pop

PS - Symantec = Norton icywa

"anyware" <anyware@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Carey,
|
| Thank you for the informative links. I, too, am attempting
to upgrade my
| Win95 setup to XP Home. I see that this is not possible using
convention
| means...my attempt was to upgrade using my MSDN Pro
subscription dvd of XP
| Home.
|
| My question is...if I install a new hard disk and do a clean
install of
| XP from my dvd, will I effectively have a dual-boot system? I
read somewhere
| that XP can be installed into any logical partition, so is it
correct to
| assume that a setup of Win95 on C: and XP Home on D: would be
possible?
| Also, how would I set up the dual-boot, or does XP handle this
for me while
| creating the new XP partition?
|
| Bottom line...is there a reasonable means for me to
"migrate" my old 95
| configuration (programs, reg settings, etc.) to XP, or at least
get them to
| co-exist in a dual-boot environment (the former scenario is
preferable)?

| Thank you.
|
| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > One cannot upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 95.
| > A "clean install" of Windows XP is required, assuming your
| > hardware meets the minimum requirements to install and run
| > Windows XP.
| >
| > Windows XP supported upgrade paths

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp

| > System Requirements for Windows XP Operating Systems
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=314865
| >
| > Windows XP Upgrade Advisor

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

| > Clean Install Windows XP
| > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
| >
| > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| >
| > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

| > "JerryA" wrote:
| >
| > | Will a person lose all his programs on Win95 if one loads
WinXP oer it ???

Ah Partition Magic...yes I am aware of it. I went through my own private
little hell a year ago trying to partition a laptop that came with XP Home
into 2 partitions so that I could install XP Pro in the new partition.
Couldn't get it to work until after about 2 months Symantec came out with a
patch for its software to work with XP.

I'm not sure that I see your point, though. My thought was to purchase a
completely separate drive and do a new install of XP on that drive. The
issue, in my mind, was then how to dual-boot to either of the 2 OSes that
would exist after the drive was installed. So, I wouldn't need to change the
existing Win95 partition, just create a completely separate bootable XP
partition on a separate drive.