Administrative Tools folder Mistake

I was being the neat, anal type person I am and was tidying up my All
Programs list and was moving Administrative Tools to the top and somehow
messed up. It is no longer on that list but there is now an empty folder
on my desktop. How can I undo what I have done?

Stay Safe; Marty
8 answers Last reply
More about administrative tools folder mistake

    Use Restore. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Restore

    <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
    |I was being the neat, anal type person I am and was tidying up
    my All
    | Programs list and was moving Administrative Tools to the top
    and somehow
    | messed up. It is no longer on that list but there is now an
    empty folder
    | on my desktop. How can I undo what I have done?
    |
    | Stay Safe; Marty

    Wow, now I have another thing to worry about! My system restore won't
    work. I checked and I don't have it disabled. Any thoughts or ideas?

    Stay Safe; Marty

    System restore won't work if one or more restore points are corrupted. This
    usually results from a virus infection. Exactly what do you mean by "won't
    work"?
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:37:27 -0500, martymkm@webtv.net wrote:

    > I was being the neat, anal type person I am and was tidying up my All
    > Programs list and was moving Administrative Tools to the top and somehow
    > messed up. It is no longer on that list but there is now an empty folder
    > on my desktop. How can I undo what I have done?
    >
    > Stay Safe; Marty

    Start Menu Properties> Start Menu> Customize. Place check to show
    Administrative Tools. If the check is already there - remove it. Close out
    of the dialog. Go back and replace the check mark.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Everything goes thru just like it should, but at the very end after it
    reboots it says "restore incomplete" (I beleive that is the wording) No
    changes have been made to your computer.
    Norton AV, Spybot, or Ad-Aware has detected anything (other than the
    usual data miners). I update and run them every other day, sometimes
    every day....Nada

    Stay Safe; Marty

    A symptom of restore point corruption.

    Ted Zieglar

    > Everything goes thru just like it should, but at the very end after it
    > reboots it says "restore incomplete" (I beleive that is the wording) No
    > changes have been made to your computer.
    > Norton AV, Spybot, or Ad-Aware has detected anything (other than the
    > usual data miners). I update and run them every other day, sometimes
    > every day....Nada
    >
    > Stay Safe; Marty

    I was on the phone with HP last night for over an hour and still haven't
    got my Administrative Tools situation hashed out yet. I just couldn't
    get them to understand me! The Indian girl just kept asking me "you want
    to put an Administrative Tools icon on your desktop, is that correct"???
    Could someone please help me? I did a search on my machine for
    "administrative" and three items cam up:

    File Folder C:\Documents and Settings\
    Adminstrator\Desktop
    And it says "Folder is Empty"

    In Folder C:\Documents and Settings\
    MyName\Start Menu
    And it also tells me it's empty.

    In FolderC:\Documents and Settings\
    Owner\Start Menu
    And bingo! There are files in there.

    How in the world can I get the files back into the other folders? I'm
    about ready to snatch myself bald over this, so I would really
    appreciate any insight anyone might be able to give me.

    Stay Safe; Marty

    I was on the phone with a HP tech guy again and he told me the files
    were simply gone, but I told him no, they were on the owner, so they
    were still there.... That what was gone was simply the shortcuts to
    them. He was not real helpful at all. So I asked him if I could simply
    copy and paste the folder over to MyName and the Administrator where the
    empty ones were. He said he didn't know if it would work or not, but I
    could try.... Presto! Easy as pie! It simply asked me if I wanted to
    replace the empty ones (since they had the same name) Some tech support,
    huh?

    Stay Safe; Marty

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP