Kyocera 7135

Last response: in Network Providers
June 6, 2004 2:02:00 PM

I just got a Kyocera 7135. It's a nice phone, and so far I like it a lot,
apart from two things:

1. When the hands-free kit is plugged in, you can't hear it ring (except
through the hands-free kit). I like to use a hand-free kit much of the time,
but still to hear the phone ring without having to have the hands-free
permanently in my ear, or to have the phone on my belt in vibrate mode. Is
there any way around this (for example, a handsfree kit that does not
physically trigger the turning off of the speaker, if such a thing is
possible)? I thought perhaps I could work around the problem by leaving the
speakerphone on, but it disables the speakerphone whenever the hands-free
kit is plugged in (which kind of makes sense, I suppose).

2. The phone has occasionally been crashing (soft reset required). I
initially tracked this down to accidentally having allowed the connectivity
kit from my old palm device (m515) to get synched to the 7135 when I first
installed it. It would crash whenever I received, or tried to send, a text
message. Removing the connectivity kit solved the problem (kit not required
for this phone, of course). However, last night the phone again mysteriously
crashed. I need to spend some more time finding out what might have caused
it (text messages were not involved this time). Has anyone else discovered
other things that crash this phone?

By the way, in case anyone ever finds this message because they are having
problems with unnecessary (and perhaps accidentally-installed) connectivity
components on a 7135, here's what I did to uninstall them (if you just try
to delete them from the phone, you get an error message: "default
configurations cannot be deleted"):

1. Soft reset after the crash
2. Synchronize with laptop to ensure no data loss in next step
3. Hard reset
4. On laptop, rename ConnectionMgrDB.pdb to some other name (so that it does
not get found next time you sync)
5. Also on laptop rename NetworkDB.pdb to some other name (same reason as
above)
6. Synchronize 7135 with laptop

Incidentally, I have a lot of add-on software loaded on the phone: Agendus,
powerOne Finance, HandDBase, SplashPhoto, and TextPlus. Perhaps one of these
caused last night's crash. I will methodically remove them and then add them
back to the 7135, but if anyone in the meantime knows from experience that
one of these can cause a crash, I'd be very interested. I really want things
to work out with this phone, because I'm *very* impressed with what it can
do.

Gerry

More about : kyocera 7135

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 9:55:50 PM

Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Gerry Morgan said:

; 1. When the hands-free kit is plugged in, you can't hear it ring (except
; through the hands-free kit). I like to use a hand-free kit much of the time,
; but still to hear the phone ring without having to have the hands-free
; permanently in my ear, or to have the phone on my belt in vibrate mode. Is

Phone Prefs: Accessories. Disable "Play alert through speaker when
headset is plugged in.

; 2. The phone has occasionally been crashing (soft reset required). I
; initially tracked this down to accidentally having allowed the connectivity
; kit from my old palm device (m515) to get synched to the 7135 when I first
; installed it. It would crash whenever I received, or tried to send, a text
; message. Removing the connectivity kit solved the problem (kit not required
; for this phone, of course). However, last night the phone again mysteriously
; crashed. I need to spend some more time finding out what might have caused
; it (text messages were not involved this time). Has anyone else discovered
; other things that crash this phone?

Nothing specific, but it does flake out on me occasionally, requiring a
soft reset. The usual indication of this, on my unit, is it will
freeze.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

"Would you buy a used pocket dreadnought from this man?" (Miles
Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "Brothers in Arms"])
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:42:19 PM

Gerry Morgan wrote:
> I just got a Kyocera 7135. It's a nice phone, and so far I like it a
> lot, apart from two things:

> 2. The phone has occasionally been crashing (soft reset required). I
> initially tracked this down to accidentally having allowed the
> connectivity kit from my old palm device (m515) to get synched to the
> 7135 when I first installed it. It would crash whenever I received,
> or tried to send, a text message. Removing the connectivity kit
> solved the problem (kit not required for this phone, of course).
> However, last night the phone again mysteriously crashed. I need to
> spend some more time finding out what might have caused it (text
> messages were not involved this time). Has anyone else discovered
> other things that crash this phone?

It sounds like you are Palm savvy. Because of the phone integration,
SD card, etc. there are some apps that don't play well together. There
are a lot more interrupts and asynchronous things happening than on
a palm only device. Get Crash Pro. Helps a lot to identify offending
software and automatically reset and re-enble hacks following an
event.

Even before that get thee to www.pdaphonehome.com and browse
the Kyocera 7135 forum.

I am running a boat load of heavy duty software, a bunch of hacks,
majorly modified ROM and Flash RAM and it's solid as a rock.
It all depends on your software mix.

-Quick

> Incidentally, I have a lot of add-on software loaded on the phone:
> Agendus, powerOne Finance, HandDBase, SplashPhoto, and TextPlus.
> Perhaps one of these caused last night's crash. I will methodically
> remove them and then add them back to the 7135, but if anyone in the
> meantime knows from experience that one of these can cause a crash,
> I'd be very interested. I really want things to work out with this
> phone, because I'm *very* impressed with what it can do.
>
> Gerry
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:33:35 PM

I would occasionally "crash" mine when I hit the sync button on the cradle
as I removed it from the cradle. Operator error.

Almost all of my other crashes have been applications. The worst offender
for me has been AvantGo. Since cleaning that off my system, I can go months
without crashes. :)
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 6:11:44 PM

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 10:02:00 -0700, "Gerry Morgan" <gerrym@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I just got a Kyocera 7135. It's a nice phone, and so far I like it a lot,
>apart from two things:

Go to pdaphonehome.com for all your 7135 questions.

You should bookmark it too.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 12:47:23 AM

Regarding the crashing. I've been a 6035 user for several years, and had
the 7135 for about 4 months. My 7135 is solid and no crashing, but I'm very
careful about what software I put on the device.

One thing is to add software one application at a time to go through a
series of stable states. I can say that "SnapperMail" seems to have
consistent problems crashing my device if auto-delivery is enabled. If I
manually get messages it works perfectly. I had this problem both on the
6035 and 7135.

Anyway, there are many possibilities to look at when crashing. You need to
take it to the base case, and make things as simple as possible, then add
things back one at a time.

i.e.
- sync
- find your palm folder,
i.e c:\program files\palm\username
- Move your backup folder somewhere (don't delete, just move it)
-- hard reset.
- sync
- This should get you a blank 7135 with only address book, and calendar,
memos, notepad, todo-- the simple basics.
If it works, add things from the Backup folder one at a time (by
installing
them -- double-click on PRC or PDB to re-install.)

"Gerry Morgan" <gerrym@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> 4. On laptop, rename ConnectionMgrDB.pdb to some other name (so that it
does
> not get found next time you sync)
> 5. Also on laptop rename NetworkDB.pdb to some other name (same reason as
> above)
> 6. Synchronize 7135 with laptop
>
> Incidentally, I have a lot of add-on software loaded on the phone:
Agendus,
> powerOne Finance, HandDBase, SplashPhoto, and TextPlus. Perhaps one of
these
> caused last night's crash. I will methodically remove them and then add
them
> back to the 7135, but if anyone in the meantime knows from experience that
> one of these can cause a crash, I'd be very interested. I really want
things
> to work out with this phone, because I'm *very* impressed with what it can

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:43:58 AM

"Gerry Morgan" <gerrym@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 2. The phone has occasionally been crashing (soft reset required).

Thanks for all the great replies about this (and my initial inability to
make the phone ring when the hands-free kit was plugged in). Just to follow
up on this, the phone turned out to be defective. I did a hard reset and
tried the phone with no third-party apps added to it, and it still kept
crashing. So I returned it to Verizon (I was still within my 15 days). Now
I've been told that Verizon is coming out with the Treo 600 in July, so I'm
considering whether to get another 7135 or to wait for the Treo (I like the
7135 because it's smaller than the Treo, but I think I might be able to
write email faster with the Treo keyboard than the 7135).

Anyway, thanks again for all the help.

Gerry
!