bil

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004

Am no expert, but have loaded Wme and Linux in the past and I know what a
smooth install is like. Am having major problems installing Wxp. 1st install
got to setting up networking and date, then hung, then I had to hard start PC
and monitor went blank, then I rebooted again and Wxp loaded all the way to
desktop but then hung again so reformatted HD and tried to reinstall with
different hdwr. Now receiving corrupt file errors, cannot copy errors, please
insert Service Pack 2 CD (there is no 2nd disk). XP has finally loaded under
FAT32, but still hanging up. Up to this point have tried 3 different cdroms,
2 hard disks, 3 motherboard/CPU, checked the RAM with WINDIAG(OK), formatted
in both FAT32 AND NTFS, a variety of settings in BIOS, hours online FAQ's,
tutorials, etc. This is getting to be very nonproductive and I'm certain that
this hardware is working and the Wxp disk is brand new . Have been reading
posts about lots of Wxp installation problems. This can't be normal! Any
ideas?
Thanks for any help.

What is the common component to all installations?
What environmental factors may be the cause?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"bil" <bil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am no expert, but have loaded Wme and Linux in the past and I know
> what a
> smooth install is like. Am having major problems installing Wxp. 1st
> install
> got to setting up networking and date, then hung, then I had to hard
> start PC
> and monitor went blank, then I rebooted again and Wxp loaded all the
> way to
> desktop but then hung again so reformatted HD and tried to reinstall
> with
> different hdwr. Now receiving corrupt file errors, cannot copy
> errors, please
> insert Service Pack 2 CD (there is no 2nd disk). XP has finally
> loaded under
> FAT32, but still hanging up. Up to this point have tried 3 different
> cdroms,
> 2 hard disks, 3 motherboard/CPU, checked the RAM with WINDIAG(OK),
> formatted
> in both FAT32 AND NTFS, a variety of settings in BIOS, hours online
> FAQ's,
> tutorials, etc. This is getting to be very nonproductive and I'm
> certain that
> this hardware is working and the Wxp disk is brand new . Have been
> reading
> posts about lots of Wxp installation problems. This can't be normal!
> Any
> ideas?
> Thanks for any help.

If encountered similar problems with flaky motherboards and power supplies.
Have you tried swapping those out?

Where did you get your XP installation disk? If this is a copy then it could
be a bad burn. If it is an original disc then it could be scratched or
damaged.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp