Win2K and K7V Install problems

G

The problem with running Win2K on a K7V appears to be with the Via Tech 8598 CPU to AGP controller. (While installing in normal mode run the boot logging option. The log file stops at the intialize CPU to AGP controller method.) Win2k does not seem to support this CPU-AGP controller.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem and get Win2k installed?

G

I have a K7V in my machine and all I did was update the BIOS to get WIn2000 to install.... After that just install the newest VIA drivers and Video drivers and you should be set....

G

I am not sure what version I have now but I can check when I go home tonight... Have you ever updated your BIOS? I say this becouse when I first tried to install Win2000 it would crash when detecting the hardware but after flashing the bios it installed fine.

Here is a link to the Newest K7V Bios...

<A HREF="http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=mb/slota/k7v/k7v1007.zip" target="_new">http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=mb/slota/k7v/k7v1007.zip</A>

G

I had 1007, it didn't work, same problem. I just put 1008 beta D and I still get the same problem... I'm kinda stumped. And when I try it install in safe mode it says "Fatal Error: failure to install product catalogs" Do you know whats up with that?

G

I checked mine and I have 1007 on it... I am kind of stumped to why it is not working. If I where you I would remove everything but the video card one hardrive and one cdrom and thry it again. If it still doesn;t work I would suspect the ram.

Also, do you have your system overclocked in any way? If you do that could also be the problem....

G

As far as the AGP controller is concerned, there is a problem with WIN2000 and the VIA controller but it shouldn't effect the installation.. It just disables the agp until you install the latest VIA drivers and Video drivers..

I have 30 workstations at work that all use the VIA chipset plus my athlon at home and all of them install Win2000 just fine....

G

Thats really interesting, it may be some other problem. I'll try your suggestions and post if it works. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS