Audio Recording

ddrummer4jc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
Can anyone tell me from personal experience or from direct knowledge, what motherboard, chipset and cpu are the most fit for audio recording and production? I would appreciate any insight. I've been the Macintosh route and decided against being heldup for more and more money and component needs to operate. Very frustrating! I have found out after 2 to 3 years of trying in vain to build a properly functioning computer based system for recording, that I must have a pentium based system for my hardware to function right. I had been building nothing but AMD systems, much to my dismay. Can anyone tell me why it would be neccessary to have an Intel based system rather than an AMD based system?

deadjo

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
hi,

the software companies generally write their software to work with the pentium architecture, as pentium was once the forerunner of home and office pc's. These days there is little difference, and either the companies or amd have worked with compatibility.

the only difference these days (i think - help me out here guys!) is pentium is built for speed and amd for power.

think about which music progs u will use, how many at a time - mutlitasking. also, go for a board without onboard sound so u may wanna step back a generation for a stable board and spend the extra money on a decent soundcard.

hope this is off help...please add to this if anyone has other ideas : )

i like to play...

ddrummer4jc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
I have several versions of Cakewalk now. It will work basically. But it trips and falls while trying to record. I've never been able to get a complete take on anything, except midi stuff. I have 2 Midiman 2044's both have 4 in's and out's. They were where I started as well as Cakewalk Pro Audio7. Then I upgraded to Pro Audio8. And later to XL and bought a Motu 2408 MKII. It won't even try to work using the Motu. I've had almost 2 years and it has never been used.

My current computer is just an AMD K-6-2/500mhz. I had built all the way up to an Athlon 1.1ghz. with no more success than I have now. I recently was doing a repair on an Intel 1.3ghz system that I had built for a friend, so I piddled around on it a bit and got thr very first recording with out Cakewalk tripping out. So it proves that it does work using an Intel based system, but which one or what configuration? None of the software and hardware folks that I got my gear and software from could ever tell me why I was having problems getting things to wo. I believe the guy's ay Motu finally revealed it to me, but no until the 3rd or 4th talk with them and over a year from the time i first bought the MKII. They said only Intel supported audio recording in their Chipsets, and that AMD doesn't. BTW, Mac does too, but who can afford the non-ending purchases required.

Thanks,
Bob Estell