Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The future of "Terminator" in PC gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 18, 2008 9:03:05 PM

In 1991-1993 PC gamers could get their hands on Terminator 2 and Terminator 2029, inspired by Terminator 2 movie, in 1994-1998 Bethesda released Terminator: Future Shock for single player and a few years later Terminator: Skynet for multiplayer. According to some game reviews of that time, Terminator: Future Shock had been the first genuine 3D first person shooter game for PC. It was released before Quake 1. In 2003-2004 Atari released an FPS game inspired by Terminator 3. There were also some Terminator games for consoles, but I excluded them from the list.

The future looks very promising. In 2009 Terminator 4: Salvation should appear in cinemas. The preview teaser trailer is already available:
(e.g. http://www.alltrailers.net/terminator-salvation-the-future-begins.html ).
After Terminator 4, Hollywood is supposed to start working on at least two more sequels.
It is very likely that after the new movie(s) some game company will once again release a PC game.
The only question is whether it will be some crappy or average spin-off game or a really decent game. I have also wondered once in a while for almost ten years whether there will ever be a massive online game based on Terminator.

Does anyone have any interesting information on this topic?
August 19, 2008 11:54:45 AM

Morton said:
In 1991-1993 PC gamers could get their hands on Terminator 2 and Terminator 2029, inspired by Terminator 2 movie, in 1994-1998 Bethesda released Terminator: Future Shock for single player and a few years later Terminator: Skynet for multiplayer. According to some game reviews of that time, Terminator: Future Shock had been the first genuine 3D first person shooter game for PC. It was released before Quake 1. In 2003-2004 Atari released an FPS game inspired by Terminator 3. There were also some Terminator games for consoles, but I excluded them from the list.

The future looks very promising. In 2009 Terminator 4: Salvation should appear in cinemas. The preview teaser trailer is already available:
(e.g. http://www.alltrailers.net/terminator-salvation-the-future-begins.html ).
After Terminator 4, Hollywood is supposed to start working on at least two more sequels.
It is very likely that after the new movie(s) some game company will once again release a PC game.
The only question is whether it will be some crappy or average spin-off game or a really decent game. I have also wondered once in a while for almost ten years whether there will ever be a massive online game based on Terminator.

Does anyone have any interesting information on this topic?


Nope. There are others FPS that nobody gave a dam, like the new Turok. Oh, well....
August 19, 2008 2:06:35 PM

Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: Skynet were actually quite successful PC games but Terminator 3 received bad reviews. Skynet might have been the first multiplayer fps game for PC in which you could drive or fly a vehicle (or play as terminator). Terminator 3 was done in the same spirit as Skynet but it didn't manage to excite too many gamers.

Alien vs Predator 3 (or just Alien) and a decent Terminator game would be some of the games I'd love to see for PC in the future.
Related resources
August 19, 2008 5:20:51 PM

Morton said:

Alien vs Predator 3 (or just Alien) and a decent Terminator game would be some of the games I'd love to see for PC in the future.


The First Alien Vs Predator was excellent. we even got a "patch" so we could do the Human campaign in coop/multiplayer.
4 grown men playing in LAN, in the dark screaming like little girls when the motion sensor did a strange "tick".

Good old times.
August 19, 2008 5:38:52 PM

I wish they'd stopped with T2 (I'm talking about the films here) everything after - t3 and the series - just looks just cheap ****. But role on more pc games
August 19, 2008 8:58:37 PM

radnor said:
The First Alien Vs Predator was excellent. we even got a "patch" so we could do the Human campaign in coop/multiplayer.



Human campaign in multiplayer co-op in Alien vs Predator 2 would be great.


rtfm, I agree that the first two Terminator films were the best ones, but Terminator 3 was not too bad either. Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles weren't good compared to the films but probably above average compared to many other TV-series. Terminator 4 could be a nice film. Me and many other people have always wanted to see more of that world after judgement day in Terminator movies. I'm probably somewhat of a Terminator fan, though. :D 

Terminator: Skynet was a nice multiplayer game. Unfortunately, Terminator 3 wasn't too great. The best thing about T3 (PC Game) is that you can play as the Schwarznegger terminator on the human side if you are leading in kills. He is the only terminator which can be on the human team and can take much more damage than the human characters. You get Schwarznegger's skin and you can send voice commands to your team with Arnold's voice (sound clips from the movies). You can also equip a heavy weapon without becoming slowed down too much.

August 20, 2008 7:10:41 PM

hmmn, guess I thought t3 was too much of a cash-in, plus the tech seemed like a step backwards (morphing metal indestructable robot in t2 vs inspector gadget style robot in t3). If there is a t4, I hope it has a decent budget
August 20, 2008 7:21:13 PM

Christian Bale is playing Connor, and the budget is 200$ million. Big enough? lmao

Unfortunately, directed by "McG", Charlie's Angels.. yay. He also did Fastlane, O.C. and Supernatural, which I like (not so much O.C.), so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
August 20, 2008 7:27:06 PM

stemnin said:
Christian Bale is playing Connor


Not Sarah Conner, I hope!!
April 3, 2009 5:40:38 PM

There's been some progress, it seems. Alien vs Predator 3 project was announced, Aliens: Colonial Marines looking fine, Terminator 4 (the movie) will be released after a few months and Terminator games are getting better, at least graphically. :whistle: 

Terminator 4 game intro & trailer:
http://www.terminatorsalvationthegame.com/

Still waiting for a good Terminator game, though. ;) 
February 25, 2010 12:57:51 PM

A new Terminator game would be cool if it was similar to Fallout 3....ie. open world to explore, playing as a human tryig to survive in a machine dominated landscape....ahh the possibilities.

Sorta like Future Shock, just open ended.

4 player coop would be good too...

One can only hope.


February 25, 2010 1:54:41 PM

The problem I would see with any Terminator themed games is that will the initial idea is cool (post-apocalyptic humans vs robots) the actual Terminator franchise ends up being too much of a drag. Any game that started off with that basic theme would be much better off going it's own way and not being tied down by the Terminator storyline, characters, etc. There really isn't much appeal to playing as John Conner verse the Skynet Robots as opposed to just being some guy fighting some robots where the latter two are completely open to new artistic direction and not stuck in the Terminator world.

I mean there are some movies/stories which are worth basing a game on because the particulars of that pre-created world would be fun to play in (Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, various Mythologies, etc). But Terminator is not one of them. Not to mention that the movies within that franchise that were actually decent were the ones that dealt very little with the part of the story that would make a decent video game.
!