A7N8X Deluxe gone crazy!!!

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
My friend's pc started going weird on us... like if it was possessed.
It would turn on and then off by itself w/o no 1 touching it. He eventually decided to unplug it from the wall. Before this the computer would get REAL HOT (about high 50's Celcius to low 60) and even after i decided 2 put some AS3 on it (have no idea what the HSF is, but it does have a volcano 6cu fan on it, and the HS is aluminum w/ a copper core @ bottom) and it still gets REAL HOT!!! I know the HSF works cuz when i'd turn it on the fan would start 2 make noise (its the only fan... no case fans... and doubt that the psu fan makes more noise than the HSF). I had told him recently to not turn it on and let me ask in some forums to see what ppl can recommend me do before turning it on again (so that it won't get SOO HOT again), and that's when the pc started to act like if it was possesed.
I have a Athlon XP 1600. and the HSF mentioned above.

Any Recomendations?

Would just getting an slk-800 or 900 do the trick?!?! btw, he has WinME (if it matters).

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

deadjo

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
have heard that people who have bought there pc's in a shop where nunces put them together, have noticed that the h/s is on the wrong way round - and hence high temps. have u checked this? is anything set to wake the computer, e.g. lan, modem, keyboard, mouse etc. mine has popped on when the dog jumps on a certain floorboard, under the leg of the table, table vibrates and optical mouse is activated!

love u all

i like to play...

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It's possible it a poorly manufactured heatsink, and the copper core isn't contacting the aluminium very well.

But that's doubtfull. What is more likely is you're not getting good contact with the chip. Did you put the clip on the right way?

There's a "right" and a "wrong" way to put the clip on. And it will go on either way, but the "bend" in the clip should be directly over the cpu. Not off to one side.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did the owner clean off the old HS gloop/thermal pad B4 applying the AS3 (and also avoided scraping the bottom of the hsf...)

AS3 should only be put on as a thin layer (no more than a pea-sized blob)

in the bios, what spped does it say the fan is spinning at ??

is it summer already ??? oh, its just the heat haze coming off my PC...

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
You know... that probably would make the most sense!!! Because my question isn't about the hot temps (although it would be nice 2 get suggestions on how 2 remedy it) but why it turns on and off by itself... remember this happened like a day after he stopped using the pc, so the temps are bout same as room temp.

How would I be able to check if i did something in the bios that makes the pc turn on?!?! (i.e. touching the keybaord or mouse and POOF!! the computer turns on )

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
That could be possible but i doubt that. Him and my dad had ended up getting the same "bare bone" systems and they use the same cpu and HSF and my dad's STILL HASNT given him trouble (although both my friend and my dad had to change the mobo cuz they started going whack on us... both ECS or was it EKS... forgot). YES I did put it back in the right way... it only does fit properly one way and i did check that.

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
I tried 2 clean it off as best as possible. After turning off the pc, i waited like 1/2 hour b4 removing the case side panel and taking out the HSF. I tried w/ a normal scraper, and it wasn't doing the job. I then got a razor and started 2 tackle it.... it was sticked on the HSF harder than I thought. I then decided to get a (i think it was 80 grit or 100... forgot which but it was a high grit #) sandpaper and started to sand it off. Pretty soon the whole thermal pad was gone and it looked pretty shiney :) too. On the cpu itself, I got one of those lint-free cotton wipes (in fact, I used the lens cleaner of my friend's glasses) and was going 2 start 2 rub off the remaining gloop that was left on the cpu, but 4 some reason, when I started 2 rub on the cpu, it started 2 stick 2 the cotton sheet. It had acted like some sorta glue... in fact i think there are like 3 or 4 little hairs on there (in between the HS and the cpu) so I decided to just put the AS3 over it, cuz it looked like the more i tried to rub it off, the worse it was getting cuz more hairs would stick from this "lint free" cotton rag. I put the AS3 on top of it, and put the now shinny copper core HSF back in, and @ first the temp had dropped by like 10 degrees C, but I guess it later went back up (the temps).

Did I do something wrong?!?! Should I just get a new HSF?!?!

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The volcano 11 when it comes out looks well sweet (I hopefully get one when I can even)...

next time U wanna clean the CPU core/Heatsink, after wiping off what U can with a lint free cloth then use isopropoyl alcohol or some other non-damaging cleaner-stuff and a cotton rag and carefully wipe off the core & Heatsink everything that is left (thats what I do), let it dry then AS3 your core & reconnect everything...

is it summer already ??? oh, its just the heat haze coming off my PC...

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it is looking to be one of the best new HSFs coming out this half/quarter (what ever the Americans wanna call it...) & thats jusy going by the spec... ie better cooling of the PCU...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
oh... ok. I'll prob. tell him though 2 get an slk-800. He duzn't wanna spend to much.

Oh btw, my friend's pc died a few days ago. When he plugged the power back in the outlet (wall outlet), he tried 2 then push the power button 2 turn it on... but it didnt turn on anymore. Guess the A7N8X has REALLY GONE CRAZY!!!

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it doesnt like him any more & has commited suicide... ;-) 'whoops'

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
prob. I feel bad cuz I had convinced him and told him that THAT was the best mobo there was right now (the A7N8X Deluxe) and it wouldn't of been so bad still if just 1/2 the stuff worx cuz he's really computer illiterate, but having the PC DIE on him is something REAL REAL BAD.