PC Makers Announce Fermi Gaming Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Got to love that CyberPower had a press release ready to go the moment nVidia's presentation was over stating that they'd have Fermi-equipped PCs for sale - as if there was some fear that these custom shops would be boycotting this new line of GPUs.

If you're building a machine on CyberPowerPC, and want to add a second GPU to a configuration, they'll charge you as much as $899 to put in an HD 5970. Can't wait to see what their price for a GTX 480 will jump to once the cards go on sale, and people have to deal with the reality of the short supply.

G

owell some one got to sell that over price over rated crap o0

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
And I thought the hype was over...
I don't remember seeing all these news for ATI 5xxx
I really think this one was uncalled for, it was expected...
What next an article saying that stores will actually sell it!!!
Of course they will

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[nom]Origin PC[/nom]Maingear is getting in on the action too, and wants us to "party like it's 2099" with its SHIFT desktop boasting an option for a triple configuration that carries a price tag of more than $6,000. Party indeed, Maingear.

Really even if Fermi fixed the power issues and released a driver that gave it the significant increase over the 5xxx's that where promised I would still hope that we'll be WELL past this tech by 2099! I'm hoping we'll be into holographic tech by 2050 at the latest. Horrible inaccurate advertisement!

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Seriously, anyone who buys this for gaming is just a fanboi. too much of a power draw for too little of an improvement at too high of a price. These cards should be used for CUDA only.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Complaining about power draw is like complaining that a Lamborghini gets poor gas mileage....Performance always has its price. Get a bigger power supply...

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Complaining about power draw is like complaining that a Lamborghini gets poor gas mileage....Performance always has its price. Get a bigger power supply...[/citation]
Fermi is not a Lamborghini... maybe a Toyota :)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]seriously, anyone who buys this for gaming is just a fanboi. too much power draw, too little of an improvement over too high of a price. These cards should be used for CUDA only.[/citation]

From the benchmarks I saw the GTX470 is sitting squarely in between the 5850 and the 5870 and the GTX480 is in between the 5870 and the 5970 in terms of both price and performance.

5850 ~ $300
470 ~ $350
5870 ~ $420
480 ~ $500
5970 ~ $700

Not that I'd buy one because of the temps they run at but they seem to fill gaps in AMD's lineup.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Your missing the point, its a performance/enthusiasts card. Toyota is not a performance/enthusiasts brand.[/citation]You drive a Lamborghini for the brand and the shape of its car, not for its breakpads.

noobz1lla

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Seriously, anyone who buys this for gaming is just a fanboi. too much of a power draw for too little of an improvement at too high of a price. These cards should be used for CUDA only.[/citation]

No I think only a fanboy would make a comment like that. The Fermi cards have proved in benchmarks to perform superior to comparable ATI cards with AA enabled. So to someone who cares about AA Fermi is an attractive option. Admit that it does something right and is not just irrelevant. If nothing else it will help you get your ATI card for cheaper. Also if ATI had sold their 5850/5870 for MSRP I would have one in my system by now. But since they wanted to maximize profits they most likely cost themselves my business. What they should have done sold at MSRP to get all these new Nvidia guys on their boat.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]From the benchmarks I saw the GTX470 is sitting squarely in between the 5850 and the 5870 and the GTX480 is in between the 5870 and the 5970 in terms of both price and performance. 5850 ~ $300470 ~ $3505870 ~ $420480 ~ $5005970 ~ $700Not that I'd buy one because of the temps they run at but they seem to fill gaps in AMD's lineup.[/citation]And where are they listed in the power requirements?

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Noobz1lla[/nom]No I think only a fanboy would make a comment like that. The Fermi cards have proved in benchmarks to perform superior to comparable ATI cards with AA enabled. So to someone who cares about AA Fermi is an attractive option. Admit that it does something right and is not just irrelevant. If nothing else it will help you get your ATI card for cheaper. Also if ATI had sold their 5850/5870 for MSRP I would have one in my system by now. But since they wanted to maximize profits they most likely cost themselves my business. What they should have done sold at MSRP to get all these new Nvidia guys on their boat.[/citation]All my GPUs are integrated by intel. I game on my PS3, which is nvidia. Yeah, I'm such a fanboy.

G

"You drive a Lamborghini for the brand and the shape of its car, not for its breakpads."

Depends on what type of person you are. If you're a metro d-bag, then you'll buy it for the name, looks and show factor. If you're an enthusiast, then you're buying it for the 0-60, 60-0, etc. You get the point.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]And where are they listed in the power requirements?[/citation]

I don't know how that is relevant. If you are spending upwards of $400 on a GPU chances are you either already a sufficient power supply or you have the $$ to get a power supply. System Assemblers chronically assemble computers with over the top power supplies so I wouldn't be surprised if most "heavy gamers" could just swap one of these things right in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.