Status
Not open for further replies.

pwoznic

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hi all,

I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo with a 5000+ amd x2 right now, and I am not looking to build a whole new pc yet (need to save some money for the next year or so).

The best CPU that can go into that mobo is the 6400+.. but I cannot find it anywhere other than some ridiculous ebay prices, so figured I'd come here. :hello:

I just bought an XFX 5830 that i am replacing an EVGA 8800gt with (i'm tired of bad company 2 on medium), and have plenty of ram so i figured I could just upgrade my CPU and be good for a while.

So, anyone have an AMD 64 x2 6400?

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I see what you mean... if you look in the ebay completed items, they're selling from around $65-105 :(

Do you have a frys or microcenter near you ? Frys has had some really good AMD combo's recently w\ ASUS and Gigabyte boards + CPU for $60-100.

I got a 6400 right after they came out and wasn't super impressed. It ran REALLY hot and wasn't amazing. idk if the performance jump from the 5000-6400 would be work too much compared to getting a more recent cpu.

I'm loving my Athlon II 620. quad core, cool, probably get one for around $80 new or w\ a mobo if they're onsale.

pwoznic

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not looking for a bridge-upgrade yet (i.e. new mobo/ram/etc), just want to swap video card and cpu (all my budget allows for now... darn grad school costs). I plan on building an i7 monster in several months though, especially when prices (hopefully) go down.

I can get the 6000+ for around $55 new, but that won't be as much of an upgrade as the 6400. No frys near me, unfortunately.

I'm also concerned about changing too many components right now with Windows 7 x64. From my understanding, if you change too much, you cannot use your key any more and have to buy another one, right? I got an MSDN one off fleabay, in case that means something.

Status
Not open for further replies.