Disk Clean Up

8 answers Last reply
More about disk clean

    "The Subject ®" wrote:

    If you are referring to automatic scheduling of the disk clean up utility -
    no. Otherwise, Start> All Programs> Accessories> Disk Clean up.

    Actually, Chuck, you're incorrect. Disk Cleanup can be fully automated.

    1) Click Start, Run and enter CLEANMGR /SAGESET

    2) Check off the items you want automatically cleaned up

    3) Create a Scheduled Task using the command line CLEANMGR /SAGERUN

    All hard disks will be checked and cleaned automatically, with no user intervention. You can also manually run the CLEANMGR /SAGERUN command to see the behavior.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A1E4649-A3CC-41DA-9EAA-4D87BE0A1D74@microsoft.com...

    > "The Subject ®" wrote:

    > If you are referring to automatic scheduling of the disk clean up utility -
    > no. Otherwise, Start> All Programs> Accessories> Disk Clean up.

    3) Create a Scheduled Task using the command line
    CLEANMGR /SAGERUN

    Okay you give the info what to do but don't give how its
    done , can you at least show how this is done ^^^^^^^

    What part don't you understand?

    1) Click Start, Run and enter CLEANMGR /SAGESET You will get a dialog listing all the available options.

    2) Apply the items you want automatically cleaned up and click OK.

    3) Click Start, Run and enter CLEANMGR /SAGERUN to actually run the automated cleanup, so you can watch it in Action.

    4) Go to Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, Add Scheduled Task.

    5) Click Next

    6) In the next Window that opens select Browse

    7) Browse to C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe. High light it and click Open.
    (This assumes that XP is installed in C:\Windows. If not change the path to the correct location)

    8) Enter a name for the Schedule Task and select how often you want it to run.

    9) Click Next.

    10) Select the time you want the task to run at, how often and when its to start. Click Next

    11) Enter the username of the user who's account the task will run under and the password for that account.
    (Note: the account must have a password. Also, only this user's account will be cleaned up. User specific
    files for other users will not be affected.)

    12) Click Next.

    13) Check the Open advanced properties box and click Finish.

    14) Modify the Run line to add the /SAGERUN command line option. Make sure you leave a space before /SAGERUN

    15) Click OK. You'll be prompted again, for the password for the User account that the task is running under.

    You should be all set.

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19c601c4cd19$54bb6420$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > 3) Create a Scheduled Task using the command line
    > CLEANMGR /SAGERUN
    >

    > Okay you give the info what to do but don't give how its
    > done , can you at least show how this is done ^^^^^^^

    Is there anyway to set this up for ALL users or do I need to set up each one
    separately? Also I noticed my Internet History cleans out now, but I do not
    see anything in the CLEANMGR /SAGESET that would clean that out. Any clues
    as to what caused it.

    Thanks

    --

    Due to large amount of spam mail as well as personal security, please
    respond directly to this newsgroup. Encrypted Messages, using PGP can be

    PGP Security Key: 0xB093E95A (I no longer use the key - 0xE0685B4D)
    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    What part don't you understand?

    1) Click Start, Run and enter CLEANMGR /SAGESET You will get a dialog
    listing all the available options.

    2) Apply the items you want automatically cleaned up and click OK.

    3) Click Start, Run and enter CLEANMGR /SAGERUN to actually run the
    automated cleanup, so you can watch it in Action.

    4) Go to Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, Add Scheduled Task.

    5) Click Next

    6) In the next Window that opens select Browse

    7) Browse to C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe. High light it and click
    Open.
    (This assumes that XP is installed in C:\Windows. If not change the path to
    the correct location)

    8) Enter a name for the Schedule Task and select how often you want it to
    run.

    9) Click Next.

    10) Select the time you want the task to run at, how often and when its to
    start. Click Next

    11) Enter the username of the user who's account the task will run under
    and the password for that account.
    (Note: the account must have a password. Also, only this user's account
    will be cleaned up. User specific
    files for other users will not be affected.)

    12) Click Next.

    13) Check the Open advanced properties box and click Finish.

    14) Modify the Run line to add the /SAGERUN command line option. Make sure
    you leave a space before /SAGERUN

    15) Click OK. You'll be prompted again, for the password for the User
    account that the task is running under.

    You should be all set.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    > 3) Create a Scheduled Task using the command line
    > CLEANMGR /SAGERUN
    >

    > Okay you give the info what to do but don't give how its
    > done , can you at least show how this is done ^^^^^^^

    You're right, there is nothing that would indicate that History is cleared. It may be part of the TIF cleanup, but it shouldn't be.

    And yes, to clean up user specific files, you would need to set this up for each of their accounts as well. The TIF and others are User specific.

    "The Subject ®" <The_Subject@the.village.com> wrote in message news:302kgtF2puhl7U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > Is there anyway to set this up for ALL users or do I need to set up each one
    > separately? Also I noticed my Internet History cleans out now, but I do not
    > see anything in the CLEANMGR /SAGESET that would clean that out. Any clues
    > as to what caused it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    >
    > Due to large amount of spam mail as well as personal security, please
    > respond directly to this newsgroup. Encrypted Messages, using PGP can be
    > posted in alt.anonymous.messages, please place
    > "D43E68CD14F2AD50465A4CF3D8C4DC1C99C221A5" in the subject of the message.
    >
    > PGP Security Key: 0xB093E95A (I no longer use the key - 0xE0685B4D)
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > What part don't you understand?
    >
    > 1) Click Start, Run and enter CLEANMGR /SAGESET You will get a dialog
    > listing all the available options.
    >
    > 2) Apply the items you want automatically cleaned up and click OK.
    >
    > 3) Click Start, Run and enter CLEANMGR /SAGERUN to actually run the
    > automated cleanup, so you can watch it in Action.
    >
    > 4) Go to Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, Add Scheduled Task.
    >
    > 5) Click Next
    >
    > 6) In the next Window that opens select Browse
    >
    > 7) Browse to C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe. High light it and click
    > Open.
    > (This assumes that XP is installed in C:\Windows. If not change the path to
    > the correct location)
    >
    > 8) Enter a name for the Schedule Task and select how often you want it to
    > run.
    >
    > 9) Click Next.
    >
    > 10) Select the time you want the task to run at, how often and when its to
    > start. Click Next
    >
    > 11) Enter the username of the user who's account the task will run under
    > and the password for that account.
    > (Note: the account must have a password. Also, only this user's account
    > will be cleaned up. User specific
    > files for other users will not be affected.)
    >
    > 12) Click Next.
    >
    > 13) Check the Open advanced properties box and click Finish.
    >
    > 14) Modify the Run line to add the /SAGERUN command line option. Make sure
    > you leave a space before /SAGERUN
    >
    > 15) Click OK. You'll be prompted again, for the password for the User
    > account that the task is running under.
    >
    > You should be all set.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> 3) Create a Scheduled Task using the command line
    >> CLEANMGR /SAGERUN
    >>

    >> Okay you give the info what to do but don't give how its
    >> done , can you at least show how this is done ^^^^^^^

    When I do this scheduled task (CLEANMGR /SAGESET) all it does is reopen the
    choice list of items to clean. Shouldn't I do something like schedule the
    Disk Cleanup instead?

> [...]

    > 14) Modify the Run line to add the /SAGERUN command line option. Make
    sure
    > you leave a space before /SAGERUN
    >
    > 15) Click OK. You'll be prompted again, for the password for the User
    > account that the task is running under.
    >
    > You should be all set.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> 3) Create a Scheduled Task using the command line
    >> CLEANMGR /SAGERUN
    >>

    >> Okay you give the info what to do but don't give how its
    >> done , can you at least show how this is done ^^^^^^^

    When you re-open it to actually run it, use the /SAGERUN command line switch. You use /SAGESET to "set" the options.

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <plb2862@cox.net> wrote in message news:F_%md.106095$bk1.36263@fed1read05...
> [...]
    > sure
    >> you leave a space before /SAGERUN
    >>
    >> 15) Click OK. You'll be prompted again, for the password for the User
    >> account that the task is running under.
    >>
    >> You should be all set.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> 3) Create a Scheduled Task using the command line
    >>> CLEANMGR /SAGERUN
    >>>

    >>> Okay you give the info what to do but don't give how its
    >>> done , can you at least show how this is done ^^^^^^^

Security Microsoft PGP Windows XP