Upgrade from 98 to XP - H/W Compat. VIA PCI to USB Enh Hos..

I am about to upgrade my pc from 98 to XP. I have run the detailed upgrade
report and it tells me that my VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller is not
compatible with XP. My PC is less than 1 year old. I have searched
drivers.com and Via's website but I have the latest driver. I noticed
something in another post that said if you upgrade and install SP2, it will
work. However, I want to make sure before I upgrade. Can anyone help with
this?

peter

When I upgraded a VIA based motherboard chipset computer from ME to XP The USB
still worked.
When I installed SP1 and later SP2 it still worked.................mind you that
was on my machine.There is no guarantee that it will work on yours...nothing is
ever guaranteed in the computer world.
peter
"Newf1" <Newf1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am about to upgrade my pc from 98 to XP. I have run the detailed upgrade
> report and it tells me that my VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller is not
> compatible with XP. My PC is less than 1 year old. I have searched
> drivers.com and Via's website but I have the latest driver. I noticed
> something in another post that said if you upgrade and install SP2, it will
> work. However, I want to make sure before I upgrade. Can anyone help with
> this?

Thanks, Peter. Did you run the H/W compatibility check on the XP cd prior to
your upgrade? Did you get the same warning I received?

"peter" wrote:

> When I upgraded a VIA based motherboard chipset computer from ME to XP The USB
> still worked.
> When I installed SP1 and later SP2 it still worked.................mind you that
> was on my machine.There is no guarantee that it will work on yours...nothing is
> ever guaranteed in the computer world.
> peter
> "Newf1" <Newf1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am about to upgrade my pc from 98 to XP. I have run the detailed upgrade
> > report and it tells me that my VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller is not
> > compatible with XP. My PC is less than 1 year old. I have searched
> > drivers.com and Via's website but I have the latest driver. I noticed
> > something in another post that said if you upgrade and install SP2, it will
> > work. However, I want to make sure before I upgrade. Can anyone help with
> > this?

I'd be thinking it's the software (driver) that's not XP compatible. The hw
should work OK..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Newf1" <Newf1@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I am about to upgrade my pc from 98 to XP. I have run the detailed
upgrade
> report and it tells me that my VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller is
not
> compatible with XP. My PC is less than 1 year old. I have searched
> drivers.com and Via's website but I have the latest driver. I noticed
> something in another post that said if you upgrade and install SP2, it
will
> work. However, I want to make sure before I upgrade. Can anyone help
with
> this?

peter

I did not run the compatability check........I just installed
Some items Needed XP drivers after the install..and I figured if the USB screwed
I would download a XP drivers off the VIA website.