get around unknown pass word

A friend gave me her computer (old ) and on log in it asks for password. she
dosent know it cause her husband put it in there and he has recently died in
iraq.
-- It has xp pro on it and I just want to get in there to clean it up get
rid of there files (personal) and give it to my stepson for xmas is there a
leagle way around password??
frownows
2 answers Last reply
More about unknown pass word

    frownows wrote:
    > A friend gave me her computer (old ) and on log in it asks for password. she
    > dosent know it cause her husband put it in there and he has recently died in
    > iraq.
    > -- It has xp pro on it and I just want to get in there to clean it up get
    > rid of there files (personal) and give it to my stepson for xmas is there a
    > leagle way around password??
    > frownows

    Your best bet is probably to reload the machine using the restore disks
    if supplied, or the XP CD that the original install was done from. This
    will allow you to set your own password, clean up the old files you want
    to get rid of, and generally get the machine back in factory new state
    as far as the OS goes.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Hi;

    Tom is correct (as usual <g>). However, you may try booting into Safe Mode,
    then logging in as Administrator hitting the return key (for a blank
    password) at that login screen. If that works you can change/add/delete
    user accounts; clean up; etc.

    Also, if can you boot into the Recovery Console the system may be set to log
    the Administrator in automatically or the password there may also be blank.

    Some of the info here may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305 and
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    --

    ....Sky

    frownows wrote:
    > A friend gave me her computer (old ) and on log in it asks for password.
    > she dosent know it cause her husband put it in there and he has recently
    > died in iraq.
    > -- It has xp pro on it and I just want to get in there to clean it up get
    > rid of there files (personal) and give it to my stepson for xmas is there
    > a leagle way around password??
    > frownows

Microsoft Windows XP