Sign in with
Your question

Maturing Tastes

Last response: in Video Games
August 20, 2008 3:27:12 PM

Yesterday, sitting here at my office desk, work being the last thing on my "Things I can't be bothered to do" list, I found myself trawling through the ever growing number of "Best Games of all time" threads posted around on the websites I can actually access from work.

It prompted me to fashion my own list; much to my shock however, many of these games were from my old PS1/N64/Old PC days, and not from my PS2 era - the largest of my gaming years, due to having a collection of about 60 games.

What does it mean? Is it a case of modern gaming being a diluted and maybe even uninspiring era of gaming? (Something I doubt :pfff:  ) Is it a sign that my tastes have matured to a degree where I am far more critical of gaming? (Possible :heink:  ) Or is it simply that I am no longer so provoked by the current generations narratives and gameplay mechanics due to age? :sweat: 

Honestly, I feel it would make sense that it was simply an age thing; being 19 now, and having started gaming on the Master System back when I was in primary school....well, imagination has perhaps taken a step back! Has any one else felt themselves hit with the same realistion? Games just don't have the same impact as they used to.

Just for the sake of it, my list, in the order they came to me (bracketed entries are ones I was unsure about):

- FF VII
- Crash Team Racing - A recent re-discovery, one that has led me and my flatmate to basically play this at least 3 times a day like clockwork!!
- Deus Ex
- (Medieval: Total War)
- Portal
- Goldeneye
- (Halo: CE) - due to the amount of times I could easily play The SIlent Cartographer co-operatively.
- Red Alert 2
- Wipeout 2097
- (Ratchet and Clank)
- (Shadow Hearts)
- (Arcanum)
- Shadow of the Colossus

EDIT

- Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
- Knights of the Old Republic

More about : maturing tastes

August 20, 2008 3:51:06 PM

I know what you mean. For me it is competitive FPS. I've just never really gotten into deathmatching. The only competitive FPS that I ever really got into was the original Tribes. For some reason I was just really REALLY good at that game. But I am absolute cannon fodder on most FPSs.

I would say though that the past year has produced a lot of really great, memorable titles.
August 20, 2008 3:56:42 PM

Perhaps, but I feel uncaptivated by most. Bioshock for example; I completed that on my 360 recently...I could tell it was graphically a good game, interesting attempt at philosophy woven into it, yet I just wasn't captured by it in the way many people were.

As for FPS; Coutner Strike I did used to enjoy, twas simply a case of it being on my brother's PC and not mine! lol.
Related resources
August 20, 2008 5:01:52 PM

I just got into gaming before the whole deathmatch craze. I was big into C&C and Warcraft II and am still an RTS fan today.

Have you tried many of the Bioware RPGs?
August 20, 2008 6:06:30 PM

Indeed; in fairness I should have Kotor on that list as that was the first game in a long time that I actually solidly played for a weekend to finish.

Mass Effect I enjoyed, but it didnt have the same effect on me as KotoR did. Jade Empire I haven't played.

I was very much into C and C's first iteration, but then didn't get hooked again til red alert 2
August 20, 2008 6:39:03 PM

Same here. I'm kind of looking forward to RA3, but I'm also worried. Mostly because of EA's influence.

Jade Empire wasn't as good as ME or KOTOR, but it was good.
August 20, 2008 7:45:43 PM

RA3; hmm. The one sole thing I actually loved about RA2 was the ability to garrison buildings. Fantastically fun tactic, even if not all that effective.
August 20, 2008 8:24:56 PM

I loved the Battlefortress APCs, Yuris, Chrono Legionaires, hell just about every unit was interesting and fun in some way except for the basic boring tanks.
August 20, 2008 10:20:18 PM

True. Well, im cautious but i'll definitely give it a whirl. I would've played C+C 3 but it came with my bros 360, and quite frankly playing RTS on consoles? Id rather set myself on fire. And did.

Thinking about it now, there ARE games that pop on my radar as being possible interests. So yes I think it is age that has made me more critical, and basically harder to inspire when it comes to gaming.

However, the games i'm keeping a keen eye on? Mirror's Edge, Final Fantasy XIII, Left4Dead. Of course Left4Dead is a multiplayer affair, so thats solely a gameplay watch.

Mass Effect sequels: I want to see how they refine the formula, and push the dialogue trees further for greater impact.
August 20, 2008 10:48:58 PM

I've got my eye on Mirror's Edge, Prototype, Brutal Legend, RA3, Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Force Unleashed, Dragon Age, Spore, Mass Effect 2, and the KOTOR MMO being developed by Bioware.

Usually there are only 1 or 2 games on my up and coming radar. The past year has been interesting for me though.
August 21, 2008 3:46:32 AM

I can understand that...but I bet if, several years down the road, you look back at the PS2 games, those will start to stick out, too. Only recently did I realize that Starcraft is probably the greatest game I've ever played, followed closely by some others such as Ocarina of Time or maybe Super Smash Brothers (64). For the PS2 era it would be the DMC games and the God of War games, along with the MGS games. On the other hand, though, some new ones would make it into my top ten list, like Mass Effect, COD 4, and possibly Titan Quest, which I've been spending waaaay too much time on recently. I bet sometime in the future I'll look back and think about a certain game and go, "Man...that game was just freaking awesome, and I didn't even realize it at the time!"
August 21, 2008 5:07:36 AM

Quake 2 CTF

Grappling hook - nuff said.
August 21, 2008 9:35:46 AM

I am well into the latter stages of middle age and have been gaming since the earliest available games systems (binatone tennis or something).
I have found that alot of games leave good memories, but when you try replaying them you end up thinking about why you ever liked it.
I recently found an amiga emulator and tried out some old games that I remember being good - that was a waste of time!
So enjoy your memories, don't ever try to relive them, and look for the next gem on the horizon of the gaming world!
August 21, 2008 9:44:46 AM

True, games are very very fun the first time.

I remeber the 'who's Revan moment'

Good times.

These day's its more graphics and etc. Oh well...
August 21, 2008 12:35:24 PM

Mass Effect was the best game ive played in a while.

Some good old ones were Counter Strike and if you can remember Populous by Bullfrog!! first God game for my old Atari ST.
August 21, 2008 1:16:54 PM

I think if I was to make a top 10 list of my favourite games the split between the ages would be fairly even. I’ve been playing games since the days of the NES and Atari ST, games like Elite and Monkey Island bring back fond memories, fast forward a few years and I remember games like Thief and AOE2, then GTA Vice City and KOTOR, and most recently I would have to include Half Life 2 Ep2 which I consider to be the best FPS game ever made (all be it a tad short).
August 21, 2008 2:31:10 PM

Goldeneye, what a huge motherfu***r of a fantastic game. Great and humerous (4 way I think) death matches - remote mines where just brilliant. And very replayable, I always remember trying to do the boat mission with just double grenade launchers, man that was fun......

EDIT: possibly the only pc game to come close for me was C&C zero hour, and that was only because of the editable .ini files - added so much lastability - damn you EA for changing that system in C&C3
August 21, 2008 2:54:11 PM

I think that for many, most?, of us our taste in games matures as we do. For example there are a number of games that I played on the SNES/PSX back in the day that I thought were phenomenal, but when I go back to play some of those titles the magic just isn't there. It's like revisiting 80's cartoons that you loved and facing the shocking realization that a) they sucked or b) I was one dumb kid.

I think as the industry as a whole has matured, gaming in general has become more complex. There are a lot of unique titles out there, and while a good chunk of the games produced today are near-carbon-copies of previous titles, there are still enough out there that do things in a fresh way that helps reinvigorate the genre. Example? TF2, I had grown really bored with the state of FPS before that game rolled out, but the instant I played it I was in love. That's a game that not only offers you compelling gameplay but also keeps a smile on your face ... or at least my face.

Lately the craze on consoles has been music games, and I honestly never thought I'd see the public at large willing to purchase a ~200 dollar kit for a game like rockband. I've been pleasantly surprised. The trick, if there is one, to keeping your love of gaming alive, for me at least, is variety. Download demos of upcoming titles, play games you probably wouldn't normally consider playing, and don't let the opinions of others dictate what is and is not considered good. You'll probably find a lot out there to keep you busy.
August 21, 2008 5:08:33 PM

actually, if you count console games, recently I really loved Twighlight princess (Don't ask me why, I just enjoyed it loads :) ) In addition, KOTOR was FANTASTIC, and I have to go eat and will probably revisit this post later
August 21, 2008 10:24:00 PM

There were certain PS2 titles I considered; DMC was one, Ratchet and Clank and Shadow Hearts as I had on my list. However, whilst enjoying them I found I really couldn't come back to them/they didn't have the same lasting impression on me. God of War really didn't impress me at all (that said, I felt the sequel was an improvement.)

Others that did pop up from that generation were Star Wars: Starfighter and Star Wars: Rogue Leader. I think Rogue Leader would very much take it, but really its only because it echoes what I felt when I played Rogue Squadron on the N64!
!