Bios password Question

rcarlile

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Hi everyone, I need a motherboard that I can assign a password to the BIOS and have it expire in a certian period of time. Does anyone know of a mother board that has a feature like that. I thank you in advance. I would rather read stuff I already know rather than take a chance of missing something I don't.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
you can set as many bios passwords as you wish, if one truly wanted to get around it, all they would have to do is clear the cmos by removing the battery then rebooting the machine, then they are in.

Sorry for boosting your bubble.

Y'all steady tryin to drown a shark....

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've never heard of that feature.

Out of curiousity, why would you need something like that?

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

RCPilot

Champion
ASUS has had that on their boards for awhile. My A7V has it & that's pretty old now.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I have a brand new A7V8X, and it doesn't have that feature. I even checked the manual to see if I somehow missed it, and there's nothing there about it.

I can't recall seeing it on previous ASUS boards I've used either. But then I wasn't looking for it, so who knows.

I still can't understand why someone would want this feature. What would you use it for?

RCPilot

Champion
Well that's funny. I'm running the A7V8X as well. You must have missed it in the manual. Go to page 4-11. There it explains a Supervisor Password & a User Password. The Supervisor Password is need to gain full access of the BIOS if you set one.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Uh, I think you've missed the whole point of this thread!

The guy wanted to know if there's a way to get the password to EXPIRE after a certain amount of time.

Did you even read his original post?

RCPilot

Champion
I don't know any of them that expire as the first thread answer said. Then it went on from there I though? Sorry!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No problem. You just had me confused. You seemed really sure that there was such a feature on ASUS boards and I couldn't understand how I was "missing it all this time.

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I need a motherboard that I can assign a password to the BIOS and have it expire in a certian period of time.
I don't see how this would help in any way. What do you think you need this for? You can set a BIOS password and change it whenever you want. But do you really go into the BIOS that much? Once I have a computer working how I want, I never look at the BIOS again until my next upgrade. I would hate to have it force me to change the BIOS password every 3 months.

Also, like what was said earlier, the BIOS password can easily be cleared. So if you are that concerned you should also put a padlock on your case so it can't be opened up.

RobD

Champion
Well, I've certainly never seen this feature on any boards I've worked on. BIOS pwd's don't do much really, as all the other posts state you can easily get round it.

Anyways, as long as you use an OS such as 2k or XP, then you'll be OK, as they prompt you to log in and I haven't seen anything that can get round it ( OK, everyone who knows who to bypass the logon form an orderly queue to smack me down!)

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I'm still curious as to why you want to do this. Maybe there is another way to do what you need.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>