Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

what is causing reboots during program installs?

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 19, 2004 6:00:35 PM

I have a dual boot system (2k pro/xp pro) where a problem has developed with win2k. Being a new pc, I began to start installing apps including norton's antivirus, zonealarm(v4.5) office etc and got upto about 10 or 15 installs when the computer started to reboot. This happens only when I start to install programs. If I don't install anything then win2k runs along without a glitch, it is only during the process of installing that the reboots occur and it does not matter what is being installed. I am not talking about the normal reboots that happens after an installation has been completed because the installation never gets to the finished stage. Could this be a fault of the Windows installer?
I formated the 2k partition and reinstalled it and yet again the problem resurfaces after about 10 or 15 installs.
I can't understand this as the xp partition is running along smoothly with the same hardware.
What could be causing this?
mainboard = is7 cpu = p4 3.0GHz

More about : causing reboots program installs

July 3, 2004 3:56:04 PM

Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) should list what caused errors.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
July 5, 2004 5:30:22 PM

Wow that is a very useful little tool. Sadly I don't understand it enough yet to find it useful but will definitely look into or future use.
I have disabled Norton's antivirus and zonealarm and have managed to install a small application so I'm going to be following that line of reasoning in my fault search.