Remote Assistance and Outlook Express

Hi,

I use the MS Windows XP Professional ver. 2002 SP1.

The MS Outlook Express ver. 6.00.2800.1123 is my default e-mail program.
(In IE6 : Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs OE is listed as the default
e-mail program)

I have 1 e-mail account (with 1 alias).
(In OE6 : Tools -> Accounts -> tab Mail the e-mail account is set as default.
It has an SMTP server configured as output.)

When I want to initiate Remote Assistance via e-mail:
Start -> Help and Support -> Invite a friend to connect to your computer
with Remote Assistance -> Invite someone to help you
the following information is shown:
Outlook Express is not set up
Remote Assistance is either incompatible with the default e-mail
program on this computer, or could not detect a default e-mail account.
After clicking on the button "Setup Outlook Express" - nothing happens.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Ewa
8 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance outlook express

    Ewa wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use the MS Windows XP Professional ver. 2002 SP1.
    >
    > The MS Outlook Express ver. 6.00.2800.1123 is my default e-mail
    > program. (In IE6 : Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs OE is
    > listed as the default e-mail program)
    >
    > I have 1 e-mail account (with 1 alias).
    > (In OE6 : Tools -> Accounts -> tab Mail the e-mail account is set as
    > default. It has an SMTP server configured as output.)
    >
    > When I want to initiate Remote Assistance via e-mail:
    > Start -> Help and Support -> Invite a friend to connect to your
    > computer
    > with Remote Assistance -> Invite someone to help you
    > the following information is shown:
    > Outlook Express is not set up
    > Remote Assistance is either incompatible with the default e-mail
    > program on this computer, or could not detect a default e-mail
    > account. After clicking on the button "Setup Outlook Express" -
    > nothing happens.
    >
    > Any help will be very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ewa

    That's because you have to use Windows Messenger for remote assistance.
    Try typing Remote Assistance into Windows XP Help and Support. All the
    information you need is there.
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Ewa wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use the MS Windows XP Professional ver. 2002 SP1.
    >
    > The MS Outlook Express ver. 6.00.2800.1123 is my default e-mail
    > program. (In IE6 : Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs OE is
    > listed as the default e-mail program)
    >
    > I have 1 e-mail account (with 1 alias).
    > (In OE6 : Tools -> Accounts -> tab Mail the e-mail account is set as
    > default. It has an SMTP server configured as output.)
    >
    > When I want to initiate Remote Assistance via e-mail:
    > Start -> Help and Support -> Invite a friend to connect to your
    > computer
    > with Remote Assistance -> Invite someone to help you
    > the following information is shown:
    > Outlook Express is not set up
    > Remote Assistance is either incompatible with the default e-mail
    > program on this computer, or could not detect a default e-mail
    > account. After clicking on the button "Setup Outlook Express" -
    > nothing happens.
    >
    > Any help will be very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ewa

    Sorry, dis-regard previous response, was having a blond moment!
    But...the Help and Support files should guide you through using either
    Messenger or Outlook Express.
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    1. http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx; then...

    2. http://www.oehelp.com/oelnk.aspx

    If still no joy, see:

    SendTo and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    Ewa wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use the MS Windows XP Professional ver. 2002 SP1.
    >
    > The MS Outlook Express ver. 6.00.2800.1123 is my default e-mail program.
    > (In IE6 : Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs OE is listed as the
    > default e-mail program)
    >
    > I have 1 e-mail account (with 1 alias).
    > (In OE6 : Tools -> Accounts -> tab Mail the e-mail account is set as
    > default. It has an SMTP server configured as output.)
    >
    > When I want to initiate Remote Assistance via e-mail:
    > Start -> Help and Support -> Invite a friend to connect to your computer
    > with Remote Assistance -> Invite someone to help you
    > the following information is shown:
    > Outlook Express is not set up
    > Remote Assistance is either incompatible with the default e-mail
    > program on this computer, or could not detect a default e-mail account.
    > After clicking on the button "Setup Outlook Express" - nothing happens.
    >
    > Any help will be very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ewa

    Thanks for your reply.

    > But...the Help and Support files should guide you through using either
    > Messenger or Outlook Express.
    I read a lot of information on it. It only says what to do next, not why
    it shows that my OE is not set up!

    If you have any exact link to information I need, please let me know.

    Regards
    Ewa

    Thanks for your reply.

    > 1. http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx;
    I tried it yesterday. It didn't help. :-(

    > 2. http://www.oehelp.com/oelnk.aspx
    That type existed and was OK.

    > SendTo and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
    In my register everything was OK.

    I still don't know what to do. Of course I can use either the file or the Messenger
    solution but it's not the point (provided that they work - I don't know yet)

    Regards
    Ewa

    RVdBLCB3aGVuIHdpbGwgS2VuIGJlIGJ1cmllZCBhbmQgaXMgdGhlIGZ1bmVyYWwgcHJpdmF0ZT8=

    Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs, and ensure that Outlook Express is set as your default e-mail client. If it is, then click Start, Run and enter MSIMN.EXE /REG This command will re-register OE and update various Registry entries.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Ewa" <ewa@ewa.com.pl> wrote in message news:cnisig$ntd$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use the MS Windows XP Professional ver. 2002 SP1.
    >
    > The MS Outlook Express ver. 6.00.2800.1123 is my default e-mail program.
    > (In IE6 : Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs OE is listed as the default
    > e-mail program)
    >
    > I have 1 e-mail account (with 1 alias).
    > (In OE6 : Tools -> Accounts -> tab Mail the e-mail account is set as default.
    > It has an SMTP server configured as output.)
    >
    > When I want to initiate Remote Assistance via e-mail:
    > Start -> Help and Support -> Invite a friend to connect to your computer
    > with Remote Assistance -> Invite someone to help you
    > the following information is shown:
    > Outlook Express is not set up
    > Remote Assistance is either incompatible with the default e-mail
    > program on this computer, or could not detect a default e-mail account.
    > After clicking on the button "Setup Outlook Express" - nothing happens.
    >
    > Any help will be very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ewa

    Thanks for your reply.

    > Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs, and ensure that Outlook Express
    > is set as your default e-mail client. If it is, then click Start, Run and enter
    > MSIMN.EXE /REG This command will re-register OE and update various
    > Registry entries.
    OE is set as default e-mail program in Internet Options and I re-registered the OE.
    It didn't help. :-(

    Regards
    Ewa

Default Outlook Express Email Windows XP