Will a 16 Bit ODBC Programe run on XP-Pro OS

Mike

Splendid

I have a client who would like to upgrade about 120 sites to Windows XP-Pro
from 98-SE and XP-Home. My problem with this is as follows.

I am running older software that uses DB-III as part of its function. The
ODBC program that came with it is a 16 Bit version. This runs on everything
from Windows 95 through XP-Home, but it will not function at all on Windows
XP-Pro.

Is there a fix or a work around for this problem.

Thanks....Mike

Hey Mike, check out this microsoft article about running old 16-bit
programs:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Also check this article about your Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM)
subsystem where the problem lies. You are probably missing the AUTOEXEC.NT
file. If you run "command.com" and get the error message you will know if
you are missing the file.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106

Two problems occured with me:
1) The destination location is C:\WINNT\system32 folder not the
C:|windows\system32 folder.
2) Putting the autoexec.nt file in the system32 folder will run 16-bit
programs but it will be deleted from the folder when you reboot your
computer, at least it does with me. I can't seem to find out how to stop
this deleting.

Bud

Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a client who would like to upgrade about 120 sites to Windows
XP-Pro
> from 98-SE and XP-Home. My problem with this is as follows.
>
> I am running older software that uses DB-III as part of its function. The
> ODBC program that came with it is a 16 Bit version. This runs on
everything
> from Windows 95 through XP-Home, but it will not function at all on
Windows
> XP-Pro.
>
> Is there a fix or a work around for this problem.
>
> Thanks....Mike

Mike

Splendid

Thanks Bud.

I will read the articles mentioned.

Cheers.
Mike

"Bud Norris" wrote:

> Hey Mike, check out this microsoft article about running old 16-bit
> programs:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> Also check this article about your Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM)
> subsystem where the problem lies. You are probably missing the AUTOEXEC.NT
> file. If you run "command.com" and get the error message you will know if
> you are missing the file.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106
>
> Two problems occured with me:
> 1) The destination location is C:\WINNT\system32 folder not the
> C:|windows\system32 folder.
> 2) Putting the autoexec.nt file in the system32 folder will run 16-bit
> programs but it will be deleted from the folder when you reboot your
> computer, at least it does with me. I can't seem to find out how to stop
> this deleting.
>

> Bud
>
> Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a client who would like to upgrade about 120 sites to Windows
> XP-Pro
> > from 98-SE and XP-Home. My problem with this is as follows.
> >
> > I am running older software that uses DB-III as part of its function. The
> > ODBC program that came with it is a 16 Bit version. This runs on
> everything
> > from Windows 95 through XP-Home, but it will not function at all on
> Windows
> > XP-Pro.
> >
> > Is there a fix or a work around for this problem.
> >
> > Thanks....Mike

TRENDING THREADS