Help with Athlon XP speed

cliffoisis

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Hey everyone,
I'm new this message board, and fairly new to putting together comps, and I think I just recently ran into a problem with the latest comp. So I've got an Asus A7V8X with an Athlon XP 2400+. Everything is running fine, except that when I set the CPU speed at 2500 in the bios, it doesn't seem to want to start up. My only other options are to run it at 1500 mhz or 2000 mhz, and so far I'm running at 2.0. It seems to be hanging and taking me back to bios anytime I even try 2500. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Might it be from overheating? Maybe I have to unlock the Athlon? Any help regarding this would be great.

RCPilot

Champion
Same chip & same board. Man, you're trying to run a 2 gig chip @ 2.5 gigs. It'll OC, but not that way.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo C,

Do you understand that AMD names their CPU's by a "PR" rating that has nothing to do with actual "Clock" speed? Your XP 2400+, real clock speed should be 2000 mhz. Anything higher is called "Over-Clocking" your CPU. What have you set your FSB at? It should be set at 133 mhz.

How fast did you want to run your system & why? If it is important to Over-clock your system, try going to the Over-clocking section. I do not feel it would be wise for me to tell you how to OC your system at this time..........you need to learn more about this on your own first, by reading other sources & learning the risks.

Peace Out................tile2

Why do you want to believe me?