Deletion of added files upon boot.

My Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) subsystem doesn't work. There I can't
run MS-DOS or any other 16-bit Windows-based programs.
I discovered the problem is that the AUTOEXEC.NT file required to run these
types of programs is missing from the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder.
Here's my problem:
I copy or expand the autoexec.nt file from my installation CD into the
C:\WINNT\System32 folder and the programs run fine. However when I shutdown
my computer and restart the XP operating system automatically DELETES the
file from the system32 folder. I can't figure out how to force the file to
remain in the folder so that the NTVDM subsystem will run without having to
reinsert the autoexec.nt file every time.

Does anyone have a solution?

NevBud
3 answers Last reply
More about deletion added files boot

    I have the same problem and haven't found an answer. My problem started after
    installing SP2 from cd. Talked to microsoft and Dell support. I have been
    instructed to uninstall SP2 and recently unchecked most startup files from
    msconfig. While I don't get an system32 error message anymore at restart, the
    file is still being deleted everytime I restart computer. I too have to copy
    autoexec.nt file to system32 after every start up. It was suggested to me
    that a virus could be causing this, but I have Norton antivirus which I get
    auto updates from and no virus has ever been found on my computer after
    scanning (which scans whole computer). This problem is very frustrating and I
    have yet to find someone who knows how to fix it. I too would really
    appreciate a workable answer.

    "Terry" wrote:

    > My Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) subsystem doesn't work. There I can't
    > run MS-DOS or any other 16-bit Windows-based programs.
    > I discovered the problem is that the AUTOEXEC.NT file required to run these
    > types of programs is missing from the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder.
    > Here's my problem:
    > I copy or expand the autoexec.nt file from my installation CD into the
    > C:\WINNT\System32 folder and the programs run fine. However when I shutdown
    > my computer and restart the XP operating system automatically DELETES the
    > file from the system32 folder. I can't figure out how to force the file to
    > remain in the folder so that the NTVDM subsystem will run without having to
    > reinsert the autoexec.nt file every time.
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution?
    >
    > NevBud

    See the thread by Sebastian on 11-20-04. He is having the same missing file
    problem. I can't find any virus involvement.

    The one guy that said he had a trojan that put a Winad Client program on
    his machine and nothing except an anti-virus program called "Pestpatrol"
    could detect it. However he said when he found it he could remove it with
    the Windows ADD\REMOVE program in Control Panel. I don't see any such
    program on my machine so I guess I don't have this Winad Client program. He
    is convinced the problem is not associated with the SP2 installation. I am
    also because I have the problem and I haven't installed SP2!

    There is some speculation that it's avirus that is intended to cause people
    to upgrade their programs from 16-bit to 32-bit which XP uses exclusively.
    Sounds far fetched to me.

    NevBud

    gojeffie <gojeffie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have the same problem and haven't found an answer. My problem started
    after
    > installing SP2 from cd. Talked to microsoft and Dell support. I have been
    > instructed to uninstall SP2 and recently unchecked most startup files from
    > msconfig. While I don't get an system32 error message anymore at restart,
    the
    > file is still being deleted everytime I restart computer. I too have to
    copy
    > autoexec.nt file to system32 after every start up. It was suggested to me
    > that a virus could be causing this, but I have Norton antivirus which I
    get
    > auto updates from and no virus has ever been found on my computer after
    > scanning (which scans whole computer). This problem is very frustrating
    and I
    > have yet to find someone who knows how to fix it. I too would really
    > appreciate a workable answer.
    >
    > "Terry" wrote:
    >
    > > My Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) subsystem doesn't work. There I
    can't
    > > run MS-DOS or any other 16-bit Windows-based programs.
    > > I discovered the problem is that the AUTOEXEC.NT file required to run
    these
    > > types of programs is missing from the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder.
    > > Here's my problem:
    > > I copy or expand the autoexec.nt file from my installation CD into the
    > > C:\WINNT\System32 folder and the programs run fine. However when I
    shutdown
    > > my computer and restart the XP operating system automatically DELETES
    the
    > > file from the system32 folder. I can't figure out how to force the file
    > > remain in the folder so that the NTVDM subsystem will run without having
    > > reinsert the autoexec.nt file every time.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a solution?
    > >
    > > NevBud

    Guess what? Another person said he had the same problem with the file being
    deleted and he changed the file properties to "read only" and it stopped the
    deletions. I tried it and IT WORKS!!

    "Terry" <tllawton@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > My Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) subsystem doesn't work. There I
    can't
    > run MS-DOS or any other 16-bit Windows-based programs.
    > I discovered the problem is that the AUTOEXEC.NT file required to run
    these
    > types of programs is missing from the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder.
    > Here's my problem:
    > I copy or expand the autoexec.nt file from my installation CD into the
    > C:\WINNT\System32 folder and the programs run fine. However when I
    shutdown
    > my computer and restart the XP operating system automatically DELETES the
    > file from the system32 folder. I can't figure out how to force the file to
    > remain in the folder so that the NTVDM subsystem will run without having
    > reinsert the autoexec.nt file every time.
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution?
    >
    > NevBud

System32 Windows XP