MOTHERBOARD PROBLEMS, I think

KrownRoyal

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I am having a problem with my system that is giving me headaches. My system consists of the folowing:

Windows XP OS
Biostar M7VIK VIA KT400 Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2000+/266 Processor
Speeze all Aluminum CPU Fan
Kingston 512M DDRAM/DDR333 PC-2700 Memory
WD 120G SE Hard Drive
WD 100G SE Hard Drive
Liteon 32X12X40 CD RW
10X DVD ROM
Leadtec VGA GF4 MX440 TDH 64M 8X Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Sound Card
Floppy Antec 350W Power Supply
2 Antec Case Fans

NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

When I turn my computer on the lights for the drives light up as usual, I get no beeps then the system just sits there doing nothing. The monitor will say check signal every once in awhile but for the most part it just sits there too. The only way I can get my system to boot up is to turn the power supply off and on, then turn on the computer. I get one beep then the computer boots up. I have tried different power supplies, I tried unplugging different components, different configurations, different monitor and still the same problem. If any one has heard of any similiar problems please let me know. Other than that issue the system works fine once I get it to boot up. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Try clearing the CMOS and then reset everything in the BIOS.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
hmm...
The motherboard maybe is the problem?

:smile: "I sawed-off the fan on my Nvidia FX VIDEO CARD and reached a db score of 240db on NVIDIA DEAF METER"

KrownRoyal

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I finally got the problem solved. I have the Biostar M7VIK Motherboard. I was using a Antec 350W Power Supply. When I initially suspected the power supply I replaced it with the same Brand and type of power supply. It turns out that the Biostar M7VIK doesn't like working with that particular power supply. I swapped it out with a 300W QMAX power supply from my kids system. My system now works like a charm. I gave them my power supply and their system works just fine. Thanks for trying to help.

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Glad your systems up and going now.
I didnt think it was the power supply at first since your power supply was 350watt. But I guess it was.
Here is another <font color=red> WARNING </font color=red> also: If you upgrade your video card or motherboard and processor the 300watt power supply will not be good enough but maybe the 350 would.

:smile: "I put a flowmaster on my Nvidia FX VIDEO CARD and reached a db score of 240db on Futuremark's DEAF METER 2003"

RCPilot

Champion
Yes, PSU's are becoming more critical now then the CPU's they are running.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
That seems very odd that the Antec wouldn't work but the other brand would. That troubles me. It doesn't make sense. The Antec is a good psu. I wonder if it is defective, but would work on the older system because it placed lower demands on the psu. I would try to get the Antec replaced and see if it happens again.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
see my comment above Krown