PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I got this error while trying to upgrade from Windows ME to XP Home Edition.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS
memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to
remve or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x85cc1BED, 0x0000001, 0x808FFE6A, 0x00000000)

I am not a computer whiz by any means, and I don't know what any of this
means. I tried restarting the upgrade process, but got the same message. I
am upgrading to XP at the advice of someone when I got this error message
after a storm last week on Windows ME: The following file is missing or
corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
Type the name of the Windows loader
(eg C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)

I am trying to make sure that all of the files on my hard drive are saved.

Why disable new hardware/software,the only hardware devices you should
have installed are the mouse,keyboard,monitor,leave the BIOS alone...Youre
best bet for that upgrade is to,install xp cd,exit the info page,restart
computer,
boot to xp cd,then select,install xp,delete the partition (ME),create
one,then let
xp install auto.Like i said,leave the BIOS as is..

"dawnssj" wrote:

> I got this error while trying to upgrade from Windows ME to XP Home Edition.
>
> Disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS
> memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to
> remve or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
> Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
>
> Technical Information:
> *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x85cc1BED, 0x0000001, 0x808FFE6A, 0x00000000)
>
> I am not a computer whiz by any means, and I don't know what any of this
> means. I tried restarting the upgrade process, but got the same message. I
> am upgrading to XP at the advice of someone when I got this error message
> after a storm last week on Windows ME: The following file is missing or
> corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
> Type the name of the Windows loader
> (eg C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)
>
> I am trying to make sure that all of the files on my hard drive are saved.

pop

Usually that message indicates a hardware problem. Try a Google
for
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Pop