PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I got this error while trying to upgrade from Windows ME to XP Home Edition.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS
memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to
remve or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x85cc1BED, 0x0000001, 0x808FFE6A, 0x00000000)

I am not a computer whiz by any means, and I don't know what any of this
means. I tried restarting the upgrade process, but got the same message. I
am upgrading to XP at the advice of someone when I got this error message
after a storm last week on Windows ME: The following file is missing or
corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
Type the name of the Windows loader
(eg C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)

I am trying to make sure that all of the files on my hard drive are saved.
2 answers Last reply
More about page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

    Why disable new hardware/software,the only hardware devices you should
    have installed are the mouse,keyboard,monitor,leave the BIOS alone...Youre
    best bet for that upgrade is to,install xp cd,exit the info page,restart
    computer,
    boot to xp cd,then select,install xp,delete the partition (ME),create
    one,then let
    xp install auto.Like i said,leave the BIOS as is..

    "dawnssj" wrote:

    > I got this error while trying to upgrade from Windows ME to XP Home Edition.
    >
    > Disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS
    > memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to
    > remve or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
    > Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
    >
    > Technical Information:
    > *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x85cc1BED, 0x0000001, 0x808FFE6A, 0x00000000)
    >
    > I am not a computer whiz by any means, and I don't know what any of this
    > means. I tried restarting the upgrade process, but got the same message. I
    > am upgrading to XP at the advice of someone when I got this error message
    > after a storm last week on Windows ME: The following file is missing or
    > corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
    > Type the name of the Windows loader
    > (eg C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)
    >
    > I am trying to make sure that all of the files on my hard drive are saved.

    Usually that message indicates a hardware problem. Try a Google
    for
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    Pop

    "dawnssj" <dawnssj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I got this error while trying to upgrade from Windows ME to XP
    Home Edition.

    | Disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.
    Disable BIOS
    | memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to
    use Safe Mode to
    | remve or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to
    select
    | Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
    |
    | Technical Information:
    | *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x85cc1BED, 0x0000001, 0x808FFE6A,
    0x00000000)

    | I am not a computer whiz by any means, and I don't know what
    any of this
    | means. I tried restarting the upgrade process, but got the
    same message. I
    | am upgrading to XP at the advice of someone when I got this
    error message
    | after a storm last week on Windows ME: The following file is
    missing or
    | corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
    | Type the name of the Windows loader
    | (eg C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)
    |
    | I am trying to make sure that all of the files on my hard drive
    are saved.

Windows XP