Thumbnail problem

November 19, 2004 4:38:23 AM

The only way I can describe the phenomenon that's happening here is to SHOW
you a sample ... find it at http://home.kc.rr.com/bilglas/sample.jpg ...
when viewing thumbnails in Windows Explorer (XP Pro, SP1) some thumbnails
are "funky" and some are not. And what's so confounding is, I cannot discern
ANY pattern to which ones distort and which do not. Some JPGs so, some
don't. Some TIFs do, some don't. It makes no difference whether the color
space is RGB or CMYK ... some do, some don't. File size and creation date
aren't the deciding factors, either. And I DO have the very latest [NVidia]
video driver installed, so THAT isn't the issue, either.

Would be grateful if anyone's got a clue what's causing this, and even more
grateful if you can suggest a way to fix the problem!

Bill

More about : thumbnail problem

November 19, 2004 9:25:29 PM

How about resolution? ARe they actually JPEGs? Canvas size?
Just some thoughts.
"Bill Glass" <AlphaBase@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
| The only way I can describe the phenomenon that's happening
here is to SHOW
| you a sample ... find it at
http://home.kc.rr.com/bilglas/sample.jpg ...
| when viewing thumbnails in Windows Explorer (XP Pro, SP1) some
thumbnails
| are "funky" and some are not. And what's so confounding is, I
cannot discern
| ANY pattern to which ones distort and which do not. Some JPGs
so, some
| don't. Some TIFs do, some don't. It makes no difference whether
the color
| space is RGB or CMYK ... some do, some don't. File size and
creation date
| aren't the deciding factors, either. And I DO have the very
latest [NVidia]
| video driver installed, so THAT isn't the issue, either.
|
| Would be grateful if anyone's got a clue what's causing this,
and even more
| grateful if you can suggest a way to fix the problem!
|
| Bill

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:44:20 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:38:23 GMT, Bill Glass wrote:

> The only way I can describe the phenomenon that's happening here is to SHOW
> you a sample ... find it at http://home.kc.rr.com/bilglas/sample.jpg ...
> when viewing thumbnails in Windows Explorer (XP Pro, SP1) some thumbnails
> are "funky" and some are not. And what's so confounding is, I cannot discern
> ANY pattern to which ones distort and which do not. Some JPGs so, some
> don't. Some TIFs do, some don't. It makes no difference whether the color
> space is RGB or CMYK ... some do, some don't. File size and creation date
> aren't the deciding factors, either. And I DO have the very latest [NVidia]
> video driver installed, so THAT isn't the issue, either.
>
> Would be grateful if anyone's got a clue what's causing this, and even more
> grateful if you can suggest a way to fix the problem!
>
> Bill

Suggestion:
-Delete the hidden thumbs.db file for the folder. The next time you access
the folder the file will rebuild.
-Save all master files as RGB - native for Windows PCs. Use CMYK with
reserve and only as needed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User