Is Windows Vista Home Premium stable enough to run high end games?

flabsalp

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Hello!

I recently bought a computer system for $1200 from a guy around town. Just so you don't think I'm an idiot, he threw in his desk, a 22" hdmi lcd monitor, a backup battery, a multimedia pc remote, and cables that hook it to just about anything.

The system specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core (2.2ghz)
3gb DDR2 RAM
nvidia sli motherboard (?????)
nvidia (BFG) 8800GT graphics card
640gb harddrive (split between 2 drives)

It came with a factory image partition that I used to format his partition and install Vista Home Premium fresh for myself.

My problem:

I installed Crysis (first thing I bought when I brought the system home!), Turok, and Oblivion soon after I'd installed the OS and began playing. Crysis ran fine (for me thats 25-35 fps) on maximum everything, Turok ran even better, and there was no difference between Oblivion's lowest and highest setting as far as frame rates. However, it started booting me out of games and giving me completely useless errors (e.g. A problem has caused ______ to stop working.). My computer would sometimes pop up a blue screen for 1 or 2 seconds saying something about a physical memory dump or some such.

It seems to me that Vista Home Premium is just too buggy to handle either those kinds of games or simply is completely unstable regarding my hardware or something. I have no clue.

Any help and opinions as far as my problem would be greatly appreciated!

What would the most stable and reliable OS be for these types of games? Am I fine with Home Premium? Help!!!

ThreatDown

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
I have like 80 gigs worth of games installed including crysis and am running 64 bit home premium, and they all run perfectly, there is some specific problem on your end because vista can game fine.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Have you installed service pack 1 yet? If not do that right away. Also, you should install updates for vista to see if that helps.

As for memory, run memtest to see if you got a bad stick. BTW, Oblivion is not the most stable of games, and I've had that game crash on me in XP, XP 64, and Vista, but thankfully it auto save pretty often.

foxhound009

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
My vista home premium is stable...

Install sp1 it works wonders :)
btw. If you'll get it right.. stable on sp1
you should be fine when looking at fps
because oblivion performs better on vista sp1 than on xp sp2...

maybe you should re-install vista if updating won't help...
make sure u update windows first, then vga, then u can install antivirus.

btw. don't use cd to install your vga go to nvidia site and get drivers from there...

if that won't help try memtest86...
then download cpu-z and check if your cpu is OC'ed..
(My vista reports only original clocks though the OC is there and performs :p )
if it OC'ed run prime95...

but before you do any of that ask the guy from whom you bought this PC
whetever he had any type of problems with it....

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Is Vista stable? Um...., yes.
Vista has been stable since 4 weeks after release (second wave of drivers made everything work for me). Quit blaming a good OS and check your hardware. Sounds like you have a problem with overheating or your pushing an OC too far. May also be a PSU problem, not enough juice to keep everything going full throttle for long.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
It sounds to me you're getting an overheating issue in your computer, not an OS problem. I'd double check all the fans in the case, and look to see if you have room to add more. It could also be your friend didn't clean up his cables inside the case creating poor airflow. Some cable ties and a few fans will probably get you back up and running just fine.

MrJanderson

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Make sure you run your games as administrator: 'Right click', 'Run as Administrator'. I had similar problems and this fixed all of them.

michael343

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
i am having problems with crysis and other games running really slow. what do i do? should i get a different running system

victordilorenzo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008

Sounds like gfx card driver issue, reinstall them and make sure you have the latest drivers

victordilorenzo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008

I can corroborate this because my system is running on the same OS issue free, more than a year now.