Search does not work

Search suddenly no longer works. If I attempt a Search I get a small
message window:

Search Companion
Unexpected error. Action coukd not be completed.

I'm not aware of any particular change that might have caused it. (I
have installed PrevX Intrusion prevention I the last couple of days. I
can't remember whether I made a successful search since.)

TIA for any help.

Robin
4 answers Last reply
More about search work

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

    "Why doesn't Search work?"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Robin" <robin@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > Search suddenly no longer works. If I attempt a Search I get a small
    > message window:
    >
    > Search Companion
    > Unexpected error. Action coukd not be completed.
    >
    > I'm not aware of any particular change that might have caused it. (I
    > have installed PrevX Intrusion prevention I the last couple of days. I
    > can't remember whether I made a successful search since.)
    >
    > TIA for any help.
    >
    > Robin

    I have a problem installing Windows XP in that it is looking for files in
    D:\I386 but cannot (for some inexplicable reason) find the CD (that it has
    been using and will, on cancelling, continue to use). This is the subject
    of another thread.

    Reference here to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm further
    implicates I386. Search used to work and has stopped working and, fearing
    that this may be an indication of a nastier problem, the reason I have been
    trying to re-install on another hard disk.

    My question. What other things are installed from I386 so I can, at least,
    be aware of other problems from this source?

    Thanks

    Bill Ridgeway

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >
    > "Why doesn't Search work?"
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Robin" <robin@despammed.com> wrote in message
    >> Search suddenly no longer works. If I attempt a Search I get a small
    >> message window:
    >>
    >> Search Companion
    >> Unexpected error. Action coukd not be completed.
    >>
    >> I'm not aware of any particular change that might have caused it. (I
    >> have installed PrevX Intrusion prevention I the last couple of days. I
    >> can't remember whether I made a successful search since.)
    >>
    >> TIA for any help.
    >>
    >> Robin

    Hi

    The I386 folder holds the installation files for XP. There may be an I386
    folder on your hard disk/partition. Try pointing to that when asked for the
    XP CD.

    --

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:13:35 -0000, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >
    >"Why doesn't Search work?"
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

    Thanks for your help Will, but it didn't work I'm afraid.

    I now have a more serious problem: I decided to run a repair
    (following the regular repair option offered) from the XP intallation
    disc, and now after the repair Windows will not boot. I get the screen
    telling me to use the last successful installation and with options
    also to start in Safe Mode. None of the options work. All come back to
    the same screen again.

    I decided to reinstall XP on a different partition, which I have now
    done, but one user's My Documents folder was protected, and I can't
    access it.

    Is there a way to do one of 3 things?

    - successfully boot the first installation
    - access the protected folder from the new installation
    - if I reinstall XP over the first installation will I be able to
    access the folder via that user's desktop? (I know the password.)

    I'm going to post this as a new thread as well in the hope that more
    people will see it.

    TIA.

    Robin

Microsoft Windows XP