New XP installation - no recognition of integrated soundca..

I have installed an early edition of XP Home on to my second hard drive. I
still have Win 98 SE on my first hard drive.

XP has installed OK, but it won't recognise the integrated soundcard in my
MSI KT4AV motherboard despite having installed the drivers for the card.

My motherboard was new this year, so I don't expect there to be any problems
with the motherboard or drivers.

I've tried everything I know in the XP device manager, but have drawn a blank.

Can anyone help?

Please reply here or e-mail to quarkiebear@aol.com

Thanks

Quarkiebear
6 answers Last reply
More about installation recognition integrated soundca

    Try searching drivers for WinXP at your soundcard manufacturer website.
    If you don't know the manufacturer website try searching for it in:
    http://www.google.com

    "Quarkiebear" wrote:

    > I have installed an early edition of XP Home on to my second hard drive. I
    > still have Win 98 SE on my first hard drive.
    >
    > XP has installed OK, but it won't recognise the integrated soundcard in my
    > MSI KT4AV motherboard despite having installed the drivers for the card.
    >
    > My motherboard was new this year, so I don't expect there to be any problems
    > with the motherboard or drivers.
    >
    > I've tried everything I know in the XP device manager, but have drawn a blank.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Please reply here or e-mail to quarkiebear@aol.com
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Quarkiebear

    In sounds and audio device properties, make sure that you sound card is
    chosen as the default device. Some time a headset will step on the settings
    and you will have no sound through the speakers.

    It happens frequently with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B and NVIDIA M/B drivers.
    I have to change this setting every time I update the M/B drivers.

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Quarkiebear" <Quarkiebear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed an early edition of XP Home on to my second hard drive. I
    > still have Win 98 SE on my first hard drive.
    >
    > XP has installed OK, but it won't recognise the integrated soundcard in my
    > MSI KT4AV motherboard despite having installed the drivers for the card.
    >
    > My motherboard was new this year, so I don't expect there to be any
    > problems
    > with the motherboard or drivers.
    >
    > I've tried everything I know in the XP device manager, but have drawn a
    > blank.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Please reply here or e-mail to quarkiebear@aol.com
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Quarkiebear

    I can't chose my sound card as the default device because XP says no sound
    devices are installed. I far as I can tell, XP doesn't even know I've got a
    soundcard integrated in my motherboard despite having installed the drivers.

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > In sounds and audio device properties, make sure that you sound card is
    > chosen as the default device. Some time a headset will step on the settings
    > and you will have no sound through the speakers.
    >
    > It happens frequently with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B and NVIDIA M/B drivers.
    > I have to change this setting every time I update the M/B drivers.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >

    > "Quarkiebear" <Quarkiebear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed an early edition of XP Home on to my second hard drive. I
    > > still have Win 98 SE on my first hard drive.
    > >
    > > XP has installed OK, but it won't recognise the integrated soundcard in my
    > > MSI KT4AV motherboard despite having installed the drivers for the card.
    > >
    > > My motherboard was new this year, so I don't expect there to be any
    > > problems
    > > with the motherboard or drivers.
    > >
    > > I've tried everything I know in the XP device manager, but have drawn a
    > > blank.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help?
    > >
    > > Please reply here or e-mail to quarkiebear@aol.com
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Quarkiebear

    Is the on-board sound card enabled in the BIOS?

    |I can't chose my sound card as the default device because
    XP says no sound
    | devices are installed. I far as I can tell, XP doesn't
    even know I've got a
    | soundcard integrated in my motherboard despite having
    installed the drivers.

    | "Richard Urban" wrote:
    |
    | > In sounds and audio device properties, make sure that
    you sound card is
    | > chosen as the default device. Some time a headset will
    step on the settings
    | > and you will have no sound through the speakers.
    | >
    | > It happens frequently with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B and
    NVIDIA M/B drivers.
    | > I have to change this setting every time I update the
    M/B drivers.

    | > --
    | >
    | > Regards:
    | >
    | > Richard Urban
    | >
    | > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    | >

    | > "Quarkiebear" <Quarkiebear@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message

    | > >I have installed an early edition of XP Home on to my
    second hard drive. I
    | > > still have Win 98 SE on my first hard drive.
    | > >
    | > > XP has installed OK, but it won't recognise the
    integrated soundcard in my
    | > > MSI KT4AV motherboard despite having installed the
    drivers for the card.

    | > > My motherboard was new this year, so I don't expect
    there to be any
    | > > problems
    | > > with the motherboard or drivers.
    | > >
    | > > I've tried everything I know in the XP device manager,
    but have drawn a
    | > > blank.
    | > >
    | > > Can anyone help?
    | > >
    | > > Please reply here or e-mail to quarkiebear@aol.com
    | > >
    | > > Thanks
    | > >
    | > > Quarkiebear

    As far as I know it is. The soundcard still works perfectly well under Win 98
    which I can run from my other drive, and I've not changed the BIOS apart from
    getting the PC to boot from the CD-ROM when I was trying to install XP.

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Is the on-board sound card enabled in the BIOS?

    > "Quarkiebear" <Quarkiebear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message
    > |I can't chose my sound card as the default device because
    > XP says no sound
    > | devices are installed. I far as I can tell, XP doesn't
    > even know I've got a
    > | soundcard integrated in my motherboard despite having
    > installed the drivers.
    > |
    > | "Richard Urban" wrote:
    > |
    > | > In sounds and audio device properties, make sure that
    > you sound card is
    > | > chosen as the default device. Some time a headset will
    > step on the settings
    > | > and you will have no sound through the speakers.
    > | >
    > | > It happens frequently with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B and
    > NVIDIA M/B drivers.
    > | > I have to change this setting every time I update the
    > M/B drivers.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > Regards:
    > | >
    > | > Richard Urban
    > | >
    > | > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > | >

    > | > "Quarkiebear" <Quarkiebear@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message

    > second hard drive. I

    > integrated soundcard in my
    > drivers for the card.

    > there to be any

    > but have drawn a

    I had a similar problem trying to run two soundcards, had to change the bios
    from default on the sound setting to the other setting ( can't remember what
    it was) but it will only accept one card if not changed.

Hard Drives Motherboards Windows XP