AOpen AX4PE Max memory and Raid

ayosha

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Hi,
I am assembling a new system.
I searched with Google for AOpen AX4PE Max and there were only a few articles and no persistent problems at all. As if none of the owners actually know they have this board. Exactly what I need. It supports only SATA Raid but that is a small price to pay if it works. Another issue is the memory, there are 3 DIMM slots with max. capacity of 512Mb each. But AOpen claims max. main memory to be 2Gb. Now, in
my math 3 times 512Mb is 1.5 Gb. Then there was that issue some time ago (older boards) where you could fill only 2 out of three slots.

Has anybody used more than 1Gb with this board or filled all slots?

Second question (yeah, January sales, two for one) deals with Raid. Quite a few boards with i845PE overload CPU in various HD setups. Do any of you guys and girls have AOpen AX4PE running its Raid successfully? Any horror stories?
Thanks

and thanks for all the fish.

RCPilot

Champion
It supports only SATA Raid but that is a small price to pay if it works.
Sounds good until you realize the SATA isn't available yet. I've heard of 1 HDD, Segate, that has SATA & I can't confirm it. Don't really know when SATA will be main stream. Not for awhile I'd bet. Yes a lot of MOBO's have it, but It's the HDD manufactures that need to support it. One reason they don't yet is because it's no better than ATA, just has smaller cables.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!