koomba

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
I wasnt really sure where to put this, but I thought maybe here cuase here is what i was wondering about. How many connectors does the average power supply have? Because I was going to have 4 case fans plus everything else, plus a 9700 so thatll take a connection too. But my question is is there a certain brand that would have more connectors? Or do some of the parts like case fans connect to the MB or what? Sorry I dont know much, but i really wanted to build my own comp. Wish me luck! BTW, heres what im getting:
p4 2.53 ghz
Abit IT7-MAX2 V2.0
All acrylic case
(Probably Antec True430 PSU, or any good suggestions)
80 bg wd w/8 mb cache
512 mb corsair xms pc3200
liteon-cdrw
geforce 3 now, soon to be 9700 pro

Thanks!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
most mobos have 3 fan connectors, 1 for CPU and 2 additional. Plus that PS is no slouch, it will most likely have more than enough. You can also buy Y connectors to split a PS lead. Don't worry, it will work.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Casper5714

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
A power supply usually has 20 connectors. There are some that have 24 but just make sure that there are the same amount of connectors on the mobo as on the power supply. The power supply runs throught the mobo to the other parts like the video card, optical drives, floppy drives etc... The case fans are connected to the motherboard through the jumpers. You will be able to find these jumpers in the manual for the mobo.

Thats a pretty sweet system but if you are looking at the Abit IT7 Max 2, you should look at the Asus P4PE. Its cheaper and its from a better company.

Also if you are new to this, make sure you work with someone who knows what they are doing. These parts are really expensive and delicate. It would suck if you were to make a mistake that ruined a component.

Casper

lwj81

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2001
The ANTEC should have 5 or 6 outputs. The motherboard will have a few fan headers.The 9700 has a spliter,so it gives you back the one it takes from the psu.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
A power supply usually has 20 connectors. There are some that have 24
I think that statement is apples and oranges. I think you're referring to the number of pins in the ATX power header? The poster was referring to the number of 4 pin power leads (he called them connectors) so he would have enough for all the hard drives, plus case fans.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Stay with the Abit mobo...It is a better mobo and has dual channel raid unlike the asux...the power supply you mentioned is plenty and you should have plenty of connectors...another good psu would be an enermax 465AX-V (FMA) which would give you a little more power for all the 12v fans etc but its up to you

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
you can allways buy splitters and all the casefans dont have to connect to the case. Only should you connect vitual 3-pin lead to the mobo so that the mobo can make sure its operational. The others like case fans are optional and dont add any threat to system.

:smile: "I put a flowmaster on my Nvidia FX VIDEO CARD and reached a db score of 240db on Futuremark's DEAF METER 2003"

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002

:smile: "I put a flowmaster on my Nvidia FX VIDEO CARD and reached a db score of 240db on Futuremark's DEAF METER 2003" <font color=blue>Http://www.Digitalstormonline.com</font color=blue>