haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I was just wondering if anyone has heard much about DX3 as all ive found is the little video teaser which is about 15 seconds long and the tiny bit on wikipedia which says it will be a prequel.

I'de love to know if anyone has any idea of a release date as its been talked of since well over a year ago!

This is also a big call out to Rob if he has heard anything as he found loads out about Far Cry 2 (the only other game i cant wait to play)!

Ive played DX2 and love it and havent got my hands on DX1 yet, but ive read the story synopsis so i pretty much know what happened!

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
What matters more to me is who the development team is. The team that did the original did a spectacular job. By all accounts the sequel was utter garbage. I will admit I never gave it a try but when I hear nothing positive about a game from anyone, I generally just save my money.

Shaddox

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
You gotta give DX1 a try haydox, it's an oldie but a goodie. I remember reading reviews and all sorts of fan fair when it first came out but I didn't bother with it till just 6 months ago. The combat system leaves much to be desired but the story and characters (upgrades) really carry it through even in an age of graphics such as CoD4, Crysis, and Halo 3.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I rank Dues Ex as the greatest game ever made. I must have played it over 10 times and each time i went about things differently.
The sequel was a pile of dung and Ion Storm paid the price for selling out to the consoles by going bust..
Hopefully 3 will be a proper pc game.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi all!!

I am a total Dues Ex 1 Fanboiiii!! I have spent many fun hours playing it... It is handy for my s*** ol' laptop with integrated SIS graphics...

Dues Ex 2 is interesting in that it needs an incredibly beefy system to play it (for the time it came out). However it is not clear where all the horse power is/was going because it looks like crap!! The game with linear, the character animation/AI was abysmal, the maps were too small, etc., etc.

Would like to see destructible, interactive landscapes in Dues Ex 3. I love the destructible walls in Red Faction 1 - really part of the game. A lot of modern games get bogged down with the graphics or just run out of development time. Just look at Mass Effect for what I mean!! Big maps are a must as well like the original.

If Dues Ex 3 is not a tour de force like Doom 3 it will kill the franchise once and for all... Just like how Dues Ex 2 brought Ion Storm to its knees.

LETS GET SOME MORE HARD INFO PLEASE - LIKE TIMESCALES??!!

Bob

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Ill have to give DX1 a try, but ill look for a texture pack too! Personally i dont think DX2 was that bad, the AI are pretty dumb but the biomods can make playing the game quite varied (stealthy, melee, frontal assault etc.) and the unified texture mod i have makes it look alright now too!

DX1 will work on my laptop too (HP TX series tablet) so it will give me a really good older game to play on it as i havent tried CoD2 yet!

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I'm keeping my eyes on DX3; DX1 was also on my recent list of all time favourites. Played DX2 relatively recently (couple of months ago): doesn't really hold a torch to the original, but it still has some merit. I enjoyed it to a degree at least.

I won't lie when I say i'd very much like a throw back to the original. Story wise especially.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The story is the part im looking foreward to with DX1, the story in 2 was quite good but after looking at the synopsis on wikipedia it does lack when compared to the first!

bobwya

May 21, 2005

unified texture mod?? I am still giving DX 2 a go off and on... Perhaps you could provide some info??

I have used the HD texture pack with DX 1 (although it is still not finished of course). Also playing at native HD resolution helps the look as well...

Bob

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The texture pack makes a big difference (especially when using the widescreen tweaks). http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/32339

There are a few texture mods for DX1 but none are done sadly, the only one i could find that has reportedly really good effects is the OpenGL update. You can get that here (http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/), you apparently just replace the DLL in the install direcctory. Everyone on the HD Texture Pack (another one thats not done yet!) forum here (http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205) seems to like it!

Edit: It appears to get that OpenGL thing to work you change more, go to page 4 of that forum thread i linked and the second post tells you how.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Well, just got DX (turns out my cousin had the Game of the Year version, whilst ide been downloading it off gametap!) and after tweaking the res and FOV as i play in widescreen i replaced those settings and used the OpenGL update and the game actually looks ok. I struggled at first to get along with it as i am a self confessed graphics snob, but the story has gripped me! (Possible spoiler: Just going to the sewers to find the airport and Paul is in the sh*t over failing to find the ambrosia).

Well, off to play it again!

Update: Combat really is harder in 1. In 2 you get quite a bit of ammo, lots of health kits and energy supplies and enough biomod cannisters to get a few useful upgrades, but in 1 ammo is harder to get for the good weapons, health packs are really rare and ive been playing for quite a while and only got one augmentation cannister!