Help with KT4 Ultra Upgrade

Amarony

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Ok, hoping some of you experts can help me with this. I'm trying to upgrade my system with an MSI KT4 Ultra but am having problems. This is a Windows XP system. The three new items in my upgrade are as follows:

MSI KT4 Ultra MBoard
Athlon XP 2100
512MB Kingston DDR PC2700 DIMM CL2.5 333MHz

Upon installing all the new items, my system boots the bios just fine, however it's after the initial boot is when i'm having problems. After the board recognizes the peripherals and tries to start windows, I get an incredibly quick blue screen with some text on it and then the whole computer restarts.

The blue screen has some text about encountering a problem.. blah virus... blah damage...
It goes so quick and then restarts that I don't have time to read it, all I can tell is that is about 3 short paragraphs on a bright blue screen.

I've reinstalled the old board and CPU/Memory and things work fine so it should not be a problem with any of the other peripherals (hard drive etc.). My problem is determining what kind of problem this is. Basically after each restart I keep proceeding on to the windows page where you can choose under XP how you want to restart windows (normal, safe, safe w/network etc.). When I proceed past that screen i get the quick blue screen and it reboots in a vicious circle.

Does anyone have an idea as to where the problem might be for start? CPU, Memory, or MBoard? I know this is kind of vague but I'm a lost cookie at this point. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated....

Casper5714

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
The drivers in your HD may not like your new motherboard. Try formating the HD. If you already did that then I dont know. There is also a way without formating the HD but I dont know that either and I hear its too complicated.

Casper

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Windows XP isn't as forgiving as the old Win9X series of operating systems in terms of finding new drivers in a new setup. While it's running in your old computer, you need to go in and change the hard disk controller to the generic Windows one in the device manager, then when you put the new board in, it will work and happily load all the new drivers that go with the new setup.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!