This is very hurtful for pc gaming

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
This is probably why I won't be playing Force Unleashed on pc.

http://xboxoz360gamer.com/2008/08/25/game-pirates-under-attack-developers-shoot-off-a-broadside-to-counter-attacks/

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Hey games industry -

sue the whole world if you like. Don't bother me none.

But can I get back some of the $100s (if not $1000s) of dollars I've spent on absolute crap games over the years as a trade-off? Games that should never had been on store shelves that I had no way of getting my money back for?

It's been so bad I can't remember the last time I bought a new release. Why should I, when chances are better than 50% I'd be throwing away my 50 bucks.

Oh wait - I can remember the last new release I bought: it was Gothic 3.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Quoting the link:

Ubisoft have sued North Carolina-based company called Optical Experts Manufacturing (OEM), a disc replication company for allowing leaked copies to get on the net, when it was part of their NDA and Working Terms & Conditions. It was stated that NO personnel were allowed to take stock home prior to release and Ubisoft called it: %u201Can extraordinary breach of trust and gross negligence%u201D on the part of OEM.

OEM should take a hard fall over it. It was the PC version but it could be any game, on any console.

About Assassins Creed, i was going to buy it, to make collection with my POP (SoT, WW, T2T). I love the genre. But Ubisoft pulled a Nvidia on Assassins Creed, so i kept my paws off. No worries, im playing Assassins Creed ANYWAY, because it came with a 9600GT a friend of mine bought.

I guess, they don't account for it also huh. Don't tell me Nvidia only produced 40.000 9600GT chips. AC is a a tale ready bad written, and i don't believe much what they say in this moment. One thing, is good in that review.

Quoting your link once more:
However, Ex MS Xbox-DIv big boy Peter Moore and now EA Sports CEO has other thoughts on the matter, stating that this is not the way to get around the issue. He commented that %u201CI%u2019m not a huge fan of trying to punish your consumer,%u201D further commenting . . . %u201CAlbeit these people have clearly stolen intellectual property, I think there are better ways of resolving this within our power as developers and publishers.%u201D

This is what they should do. Not go after every pirate in the world. Wait, lemme rephrase. They should go after piracy IN THE WORLD. Pirating games for self profit i mean, stupidly enough, software houses haven't realized the the Asian market is huge and quite un-ruled atm. For example.

And don't think there isn't piracy in the consoles. The problem is even bigger.

Quoting the same article once more:

If you think they won%u2019t just pick on you if you%u2019re just a mum or small gamer, then think again. The law firm Davenport Lyons, who are now representing the five publisher mentioned above, won a $US30,000 judgment against an unemployed mother of two %u201Cthis week%u201D for illegally downloading Topware%u2019s Dream Pinball 3D through a file-sharing site,
Like they say here in spain, "me cago en la leche". Topware he ? I would defenantly scratch that name of the list. Well, it makes pinball games so, i don't give a fack.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Why don't they ever learn? Really.... this didn't work for the music industry, It won't work now either. Are they all mentally retarded or do they just not pay any attention to the VERY RECENT PAST?

*sigh* I don't even pirate anymore an this pisses me off. The vast majority of pirates are in countries that don't even penalize for this sort of thing and are untouchable by a lawsuit. How can they not realize that?

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
and so the debate rages on..... with nothing to do with the subject matter changing, no new ideas, no major breakthroughs - nothing changing.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Free games for all, then buy if you wanna play more or multi-player.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
It's just turning into Blizzard and Valve = PC Gaming. Everyone else is garbage.

Also, just thought I'd mention I never hear anything about the PC Gaming industry dying except on these forums, so it really seems to be a sort of attitude held here.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

+1

I was about to type the Bliz / Valve thing. :p

As long as they stay in the game, I will be happy. Maybe then it will set a standard level of quality for other games to move up to and stop so much crap from being released. (That will all go to Xbox and Ps3 :p) Who knows, maybe EA will even shape up like they said they would and release something better than a re-skin of an old game... or a re-skin of a re-skin. :sarcastic:

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

Quite honestly, I don't care what happens to the industry. They're games. Yea, it's someone's job. Yea, it's someone's livelyhood. But it's a game. When it comes down to what's important, a game is not. And while that may sound like a wash, that's how most people think and why they don't give a rats butt if they're `stealing' a game off the internet and hurting a `market.'

I love playing games. I love great deals too though. The Orange box for example was monumental and had me shelling out my hard earned $$ for that great release. If the industry looked at that and said, "Wow, we could make a killing. When it's a great deal and a great series, people will actually buy it." Sure, folk still pirate that thing. But for $40, you get it all, and even steadfast pirates can't argue with such a good deal in games. I'm over joyed that I waited a long time to buy into HL2 because instead of spending the money each time something came out for it, I got the whole bundle for cheaper. Just like now, I can go grab battle chests for blizzard games and get all the titles for like $50. I don't need the brand new released game right now. I'll get to it eventually. I just like knowing it's there. I like to see if it's worth actually buying before shelling out. I don't want to fuel an industry of "let's see how pretty we can make it, even though it's the 1,000th version of the same game."

I think game producers should ditch publishing. They spend so much in publishing that they could put that into a nother method of distribution. People are torrenting. So why not use that. Sell your game online for a much smaller price, since they can do that and still bank profit since they knock a large price off distribution and packaging. And they can even bank on bandwidth as gamers torrent the thing themselves.

Consider this. Most stores out there are getting at least 50% profit from each sale, otherwise, they would not put that thing on the shelf as it would not be worth their time to buy and distribute the merchandise, regardless of what it is. So if that new game was $50 on the shelf, that store probably only paid like $20~25 for it initially. Of that, how much of it actually is costed by the publisher? Another fair chunk. In the end, how much does the publisher pay for the actual content to publish? Very little. If the desingers just published on the net and distrubted via the net, using bit torrent, they could sell it for the same, if not more, and not have the hassle.

Sure, people could still pirate. But the thing is, a lot of folk would be far more likely to actually whip out their credit card and pay $10 for an online game, full access to it, and be able to download it without even leaving their house.

They could just buy into a membership. Pay $X and you get download access to various content. A lot like how Steam works. But on a larger scale and using the users' bandwidth as an option (torrenting).

Finally, I'm not keen on them going purely into consoles and leaving the PC platform for the biggest selling companies who can remain affloat even with mass piracy due to their games just being so damn good and them being so damn popular. Only those trying to break into the market will go to the PC release after a long while and might strike it big or lose out horribly to the big wigs and piracy. Me? I'm not interested in buying a stupid console. I like to do all kinds of things with my PC. Gaming is one of them, but not the only thing. Sure, you can do several things with consoles now, but that still doesn't have me wanting to spend $200~400 on a console. Hell, my computer costed like $500 and it plays all the games out there just fine. Why would I want to buy a console, controllers, and other crap that is just one more damn thing in my house taking up space, when I could have it all on ONE machine, the PC? I'm just not into consoles. I likely never will be until I have no option.

Sad too, I wanted to really play Force unleashed, but frankly, if the game is just a bore and nothing innovative beyond the cool factor of force pushing storm troopers through walls, I'll probably not be too sad.

Very best, :)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Agreed; I was so happy when GTA IV released and they hadn't gotten the opportunity to purchase Take-Two. I don't even know if they're worth buying now for EA due to the amount they've made on GTA IV.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
You guys forget that the market won't allow for a large gap where PC gaming is. It will always adapt, and the companies that are rolling with that are the ones that are incredibly successful. Then you have companies that can't cope, and they're just trying to add restrictions to their products like the RIAA and MPAA, rather than simply changing the distribution methods, or even the games themselves. Multiplayer is where it's at for PC gaming. It adds replayability, and allows for validation of CD keys/accounts without being invasive. For games where the core focus is single player, and the companies are spending more time trying to be restrictive in number of installs, etc., you're going to see failure. They'd like you to think that just because they're failing, the industry as a whole is doing poorly, but that's simply not the case.

All the anti-piracy people seem to be buying into this as well. Consider that single player games are going for $50 with 4-8 hours of playtime, while the big companies are releasing huge multiplayer titles for the same cost. If you want to be successful right now, you have to go multiplayer.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
companies need to stop relating piracy to loosing money.

if you cant guarantee 100% that the pirate would buy it if it was not up for download then it is a lost sale but if you cant prove that then it is not a lost sale as you wouldn't have made money from it anyway.

I understand if someone walks into a store and steals a tv, because to replace that lost tv the store has to spend money.

but it cost the company nothing if their game is pirated

they can consider piracy morally wrong but that should not be allowed to call it a lost sale as the game will not be purchased anyway.

what needs to be done is a DRM thats transparent to the legit user. transparent security is never debated against as it doesn't effect the innocent user, it only effects the criminal

also games are becoming shorter every year. because of the graphics push going on, it has become so hard to program games that they become shorter

it doesn't matter if hardware is getting better the developers are not getting better

videocards have gotten 20-30 times more powerful over the years, but you cant say the same for the programmers

so proportional to how the game looks, it becomes shorter

games are becoming shorter and shorter and there becoming more expensive this is not encouraging to the consumer market

while we all like games that look good, people have to see that the wow effect of next gen graphics only last bout 5-10 minutes then after that your only focused on the game

if graphics were the only important things in games then the best selling product will be 3Dmark

or those nvidia demos

because not even crysis can do this
screenshot4.jpg

downside is nvidia demos have no gameplay or probably under a minute of gameplay depending on the demo

do you see 3d mark or those other 3d benchmarking companies crying about lost sales due to piracy.

no because they lack gameplay to a point that people wont even pirate it

remember

while hardware is rapidly becoming faster, programmers are not so in order to meet deadlines, games will become shorter and shorter

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i need to get on this 3d mark...lol

but yeah totally agree about the piracy/lost sale, ea/rockstar, valve/blizzard etc etc

i personally stopped pirating, but see, i don't buy the games anyway. so basically, im not doing anything except trolling these forums.

i also agree with the stop publishing method... hey, you can see in game advertising that im PRETTY SURE brings the company some decent revenue, soo... IDEAS ANY?