How to format large hard discs with XP ???

Sander

I bought a new pc and want to install Windows XP. Therefore I had to make
new partitions on a 200 Gb hard discs. The thing is, that XP doesn't
recognize the total available storage of the hard discs. XP only recognizes
131 Gb as a max instead of the full 200 Gb.

Who knows how to format large hard discs from a clean XP installation?
Starting with making new partitions and and a clean format (no pre-installed
situation).

peter

Do a google for BootItNG
It will let you partition that drive into 2 or more segments and then you can
install XP ,format during the install and away you go!!
The free trial version works nicely off a boot floppy
peter

On 20/11/2004 Sander wrote:

> I bought a new pc and want to install Windows XP. Therefore I had to
> make new partitions on a 200 Gb hard discs. The thing is, that XP
> doesn't recognize the total available storage of the hard discs. XP
> only recognizes 131 Gb as a max instead of the full 200 Gb.
>
> Who knows how to format large hard discs from a clean XP
> installation? Starting with making new partitions and and a clean
> format (no pre-installed situation).

You need to check that your BIOS recognises the full capacity of the
new drive, if not you need a BIOS upgrade (from the PC/mobo
manufacturer's website).

Once the BIOS recognises it there are a couple of possibilities. If you
have at least SP1 then XP *should* recognise it. If not then if you
have an Intel chipset on your mobo you need to d/l the 'Intel
Application Accelerator' from Intel's web site and install it. It
sounds like a Harry Potter go faster thing but it enable recognition of
large (> 137GB) hard drives.

If you don''t have an Intel chipset then some drive manufacturers offer
similar utilities, Maxtor has one called 'big drive' or something
similar.

Be very, very careful about using the disk until you have sorted this.
If XP runs CHKDSK on boot thinking it's a < 137GB drive it's bye bye
data :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Sander" <Sander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new pc and want to install Windows XP. Therefore I had to
>make
> new partitions on a 200 Gb hard discs. The thing is, that XP doesn't
> recognize the total available storage of the hard discs. XP only
> recognizes
> 131 Gb as a max instead of the full 200 Gb.
>
> Who knows how to format large hard discs from a clean XP installation?
> Starting with making new partitions and and a clean format (no
> pre-installed
> situation).

Windows XP needs Service Pack 1 to under 48-bit LBA ATAPI addressing.
Sounds like you have an install CD that did not slipstream in Service
Pack 1 (or 2). So, for now, create the partitions during the install,
run Windows Update to ensure you get at least Service Pack 1, and then
use a 3rd party partitioning utility, like PartitionMagic or BootIT NG
(I haven't used the freebie Ranish Partition Manager), to resize/move
the partitions. Otherwise, get or make a slipstreamed version of the
Windows XP install CD that incorporates Service Pack 1 (or 2).

Read http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303013.

How long ago did you get the Windows XP install CD? It didn't include
SP-1? Have you checked that your BIOS also supports 48-bit LBA mode
(you never mentioned what is your hardware)?

Sander wrote:
> I bought a new pc and want to install Windows XP. Therefore I had to
> make new partitions on a 200 Gb hard discs. The thing is, that XP
> doesn't recognize the total available storage of the hard discs. XP
> only recognizes 131 Gb as a max instead of the full 200 Gb.
>
> Who knows how to format large hard discs from a clean XP installation?
> Starting with making new partitions and and a clean format (no
> pre-installed situation).

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Format XP
http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
--