sys files

how to start sys file checker__please, and what to do with it__I know that
you type at run !!but what
With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia
7 answers Last reply
More about files

    "william smith" <xub1@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
    > how to start sys file checker__please, and what to do with it__I know
    > that
    > you type at run !!but what
    > With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia

    For some very good sources of help:

    - Go to http://support.microsoft.com/.
    - Choose your product (presumably "Windows XP").
    - Search on "system file checker" (exact phrase).
    - Voilá!

    Or you could just use the help already included right in Windows XP
    itself (Start -> Help and Support).

    Or you can search for help, like use Google
    (http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"Windows+XP"+%2B"system+file+checker")
    or whatever is your preferred search engine.

    Start > Run > type: sfc /scannow > click on OK.

    Ted Zieglar

    "william smith" <xub1@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
    > how to start sys file checker__please, and what to do with it__I know that
    > you type at run !!but what
    > With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia

    Start > Run > type: sfc /scannow > click on OK ____Will not work with SP2
    installed__this is another SP2 problem for me
    With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia

    "william smith" <xub1@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
    > how to start sys file checker__please, and what to do with it__I know that
    > you type at run !!but what
    > With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia

    Works fine on my computer, and I have SP 2.

    Perhaps you should uninstall SP 2, read the information in the following
    article from Microsoft, then install SP 2 again:

    "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Ted Zieglar

    william smith wrote:
    > Start > Run > type: sfc /scannow > click on OK ____Will not work with SP2
    > installed

    What happens when you try to run it? Do you have the original Windows XP
    CD-ROM?

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    It tells me that I have the wrong CD in the drive___BUT if I keep clicking
    retry it gets the job done and fills the dllcache folder__
    but I still do not have access to the Run/help support or Acc/sys tools/sys
    info___this is an ongoing problem for quite a while now___all else works
    fine __using win XP pro Original disk
    Bill smith

    william smith wrote:
    > It tells me that I have the wrong CD in the drive___BUT if I keep clicking
    > retry it gets the job done and fills the dllcache folder__
    > but I still do not have access to the Run/help support or Acc/sys
    > tools/sys info___this is an ongoing problem for quite a while now___all
    > else works fine __using win XP pro Original disk

    OK, if this has been an ongoing problem for a long time, then it is time to
    fix that before moving on to SP2. Can you uninstall SP2? It should be
    listed in your Add&Remove Programs listing.

    Then (or even if you can't) do a Repair install of XP using your original
    CD. That "should" fix the problem. Here are the steps for doing a Repair
    install:

    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive,
    and then restart your computer.

    2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen,
    press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

    Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
    drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start
    from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, see your computer's documentation or
    contact your computer manufacturer.

    3. You receive the following message on the Welcome to Setup screen that
    appears:
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run
    on your computer:

    To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

    To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

    To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.

    4. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
    license agreement.

    5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the
    box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

    6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows
    XP.

    MS MVP Michael Stevens has some additional information that is well worth
    your time to read. See the section entitled "XP Repair install" on this
    page: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    Once the Repair is complete, check that the menu items are now working as
    expected. Don't install SP2 again until you have this problem resolved. If
    everything is working as it should, you can then install SP2 (you don't need
    to install any of the other MS updates or SP1 first).

    --

    ....Sky

Microsoft Windows XP