Switching to Sprint? Opinions?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 7, 2004 10:37:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
a bit spotty. My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
says her friends with Sprint phones can.

The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.

I like Verizon very much-- had customer service issues with them in the
past, but they've been better this past year, and they work well for me
when I travel in Los Angeles, where I spend a lot of time, and in the
East Coast, where I often do work as well. Reception in my home is a
significant issue, however, and I'd like to have it.

The sales rep at Radio Shack pointed out that Sprint, like Verizon, is a
CDMA system and that many Sprint phones are tri-mode. I've read that
1900 MHZ systems are not as good as 800 Mhz, but he pointed out that the
tri-mode Sprint phones are 1900, 800, and analogue, and he said that
with Sprint's Expanded Voice Coverage, a Sprint phone can roam nearly
everywhere in the US.

I have a few technical questions about that: does that mean that a
tri-mode Sprint phone would pick up the SAME analogue signal as my
Verizon phone in the outer reaches of Marin, where I sometimes rely on
an analogue signal? Does that mean that when a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal
is not reaching my phone when I travel, it will pick up the same 800 MHZ
signal that my Verizon phone would? I understand that, all other things
being equal, the Sprint phone will default to a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal;
I'm just not clear what happens when roaming on Sprint and, more
importantly, how it would compare with Verizon.

Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14 days
and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan with 4
phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it, and go back
to Verizon.

I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but these
companies change all the time. Any opinions? I remember in particular
that Sprint had weak coverage in the Los Angeles area. Has that
changed?

Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 11:39:41 PM

"Michael L." <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
>He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
>than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
>any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
>service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.

I assume he gets a commission for selling new service, so he doesn't
care whether you change from Sprint to Verizon Wireless or Verizon
Wireless to Sprint - as long as you change.

>Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14 days
>and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan with 4
>phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it, and go back
>to Verizon.

Why is that? You don't have to port all your numbers, or even one
number, to try a different carrier. When I was thinking of switching
from ATTWS to Verizon, I tried out the phone for a week and then ported
my number. It would have cost me a bit of money if I hadn't switched,
but not a lot (one prorated plan week).

>I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but these
>companies change all the time.

Yes, ATTWS was good when I started with them, but deteriorated greatly
over the past few years, in both coverage and customer service. I had
previously had Sprint service, but switched when I started to need
better roaming capabilities. With their new plans, that wouldn't be as
big a concern.

Have you tried a different Verizon phone? Maybe the model you have is
just a poor performer.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:44:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Michael -

I live in SF and work in Oakland, have 4 phones on my plan, and am very
satisfied with Sprint PCS service here, and in LA when we visit there.
I've been a customer since 1997 and have had no customer service issues.

Verizon is Sprint's primary roaming partner in the SF Bay Area, so yes,
if your Sprint phone can't find a Sprint signal in West Marin, and if
you set your Sprint phone to allow it to roam off of Sprint, then it
will use the same Verizon signal (CDMA 800 or analog 800) that your
Verizon phone uses. But it will cost 69 cents/min, unless you have a
Free & Clear America Plan for $5 extra per month (then no extra cost).

In other cities around the country, the preferred roaming partner may be
Verizon, or it may be some other carrier that gave Sprint a better deal,
so roaming coverage (off the Sprint network) may not be the same as for
your Verizon phone. Sprint's map shows they have roaming agreements
nearly everywhere, but they may not all be using the same providers that
your Verizon phone was using. In Cleveland, Ohio, the two cellular
providers are Verizon (A-side) and Alltel (B-side). I was just there,
and when I was in a weak Sprint signal area between towers on the Ohio
Tpk west of Youngstown, or if I set my phone to 'analog only', it used
Alltel, not Verizon.

June 8, 2004 3:31:25 AM

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Michael L. <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
> phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
> can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
> a bit spotty. My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
> and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
> get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
> says her friends with Sprint phones can.

Ok, how does Sprint work at YOUR house and in other places where you use
it? That's what counts. Verizon and Sprint both work well in most of Southern
California, for example, but Verizon has a few issues up here in the Victor
Valley that are causing me to move to Sprint - but I already know Sprint
works everywhere I need it to, since my wife has a Sprint phone. It is
essential that you check coverage BEFORE you make a committment, since you
know someone who has the service.

> Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14 days
> and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan with 4
> phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it, and go back
> to Verizon.

So don't get rid of the Verizon contract until you're sure a Sprint phone
will work where you need it to. Obviously, only try one phone at first. :)

> I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but these
> companies change all the time. Any opinions? I remember in particular
> that Sprint had weak coverage in the Los Angeles area. Has that
> changed?

They're solid in the areas where I go, but I hang out primarily in the Inland
Empire, especially Rancho Cucamonga and San Bernardino, and I live in the
High Desert (Apple Valley, and I spend tons of time in Victorville, Adelanto
and Hesperia too). Coverage in the places I've been to (Anaheim and Orange
County, and west and south of LA) has been good. However, there are probably
other people here who can give you a better picture of LA proper.

> Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
> with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?

1900 MHz is supposed to have a harder time penetrating buildings than
800 MHz. However, I've not seen any major differences. (Remember that Verizon
is 1900 in certain areas too.)

I am both a Verizon *and* Sprint customer right now, with my phone being
a VZ phone and my wife's a Sprint phone, but I'm porting my number to Sprint
due to some issues at my house and in a couple spots in Victorville where I
spend a lot of my time.

June 8, 2004 5:48:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <FIGHTALLSPAM-481F70.18374707062004@news-60.giganews.com>,
"Michael L." <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
> phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
> can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
> a bit spotty.

Ask also in the Verizon group, maybe your current model phone is a dog
as far as reception goes. Some LG and Samsung models of 2 years ago were
poor.

> My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
> and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
> get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
> says her friends with Sprint phones can.
>
> The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
> He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
> than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
> any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
> service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.

No, if he didnt tell you Sprint was better he wouldnt sell you.
Certainly SprintPCS has millions of happy customers, and 1,400,000
who left during the first quarter of this year.

I'd say borrow your daughter's friends Sprint phone this weekend.

> I like Verizon very much-- had customer service issues with them in the
> past, but they've been better this past year, and they work well for me
> when I travel in Los Angeles, where I spend a lot of time, and in the
> East Coast, where I often do work as well. Reception in my home is a
> significant issue, however, and I'd like to have it.
>
> The sales rep at Radio Shack pointed out that Sprint, like Verizon, is a
> CDMA system and that many Sprint phones are tri-mode. I've read that
> 1900 MHZ systems are not as good as 800 Mhz, but he pointed out that the
> tri-mode Sprint phones are 1900, 800, and analogue, and he said that
> with Sprint's Expanded Voice Coverage, a Sprint phone can roam nearly
> everywhere in the US.

Sprint natively uses only 1900 MHz. You can only roam where SprintPCS
allows you to roam, not just anywhere.

> I have a few technical questions about that: does that mean that a
> tri-mode Sprint phone would pick up the SAME analogue signal as my
> Verizon phone in the outer reaches of Marin, where I sometimes rely on
> an analogue signal? Does that mean that when a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal
> is not reaching my phone when I travel, it will pick up the same 800 MHZ
> signal that my Verizon phone would?

If SprintPCS has a roaming agreement with the same analog provider, then
yes.

> I understand that, all other things
> being equal, the Sprint phone will default to a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal;
> I'm just not clear what happens when roaming on Sprint and, more
> importantly, how it would compare with Verizon.

Everyplace is different depending on each companies roaming agreements.

> Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14 days
> and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan with 4
> phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it, and go back
> to Verizon.
>
> I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but these
> companies change all the time. Any opinions? I remember in particular
> that Sprint had weak coverage in the Los Angeles area. Has that
> changed?
>
> Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
> with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?

All things being equal (and they never are), 800 MHz would be better;
but you've already indicated you think SprintPCS has better coverage in
your area.
Your best bet is to borrow your daughter's friends' Sprint phone
this weekend. Pay her $20 for the insult, it's a bargain to get good
hands-on knowledge of how good SprintPCS would be for you.

> Thanks in advance,
> Michael
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:40:49 AM

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.city> wrote in message
> In article <FIGHTALLSPAM-481F70.18374707062004@news-60.giganews.com>,
> "Michael L." <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
> > phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
> > can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
> > a bit spotty.
>
> Ask also in the Verizon group, maybe your current model phone is a dog
> as far as reception goes. Some LG and Samsung models of 2 years ago were
> poor.

Phillipe aka: Robert M. may be right ... however the bottom statement says
the daughter's phone has coverage problems as well.

> > My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
> > and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
> > get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
> > says her friends with Sprint phones can.
> >
> > The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
> > He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
> > than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
> > any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
> > service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.
>
> No, if he didnt tell you Sprint was better he wouldnt sell you.
> Certainly SprintPCS has millions of happy customers, and 1,400,000
> who left during the first quarter of this year.

I've noticed you've brought back that 1,400,000 number in the past two days.
So Phillipe, just where is that simple copy and paste, along with a page
number out of the 10Q. After 20 plus requests from quite a few people here,
including yours truly, you still haven't backed up your statement.

> I'd say borrow your daughter's friends Sprint phone this weekend.

That would be a good idea, as long as she didn't need it and had the N & W
option on here account.

> > I like Verizon very much-- had customer service issues with them in the
> > past, but they've been better this past year, and they work well for me
> > when I travel in Los Angeles, where I spend a lot of time, and in the
> > East Coast, where I often do work as well. Reception in my home is a
> > significant issue, however, and I'd like to have it.
> >
> > The sales rep at Radio Shack pointed out that Sprint, like Verizon, is a
> > CDMA system and that many Sprint phones are tri-mode. I've read that
> > 1900 MHZ systems are not as good as 800 Mhz, but he pointed out that the
> > tri-mode Sprint phones are 1900, 800, and analogue, and he said that
> > with Sprint's Expanded Voice Coverage, a Sprint phone can roam nearly
> > everywhere in the US.
>
> Sprint natively uses only 1900 MHz. You can only roam where SprintPCS
> allows you to roam, not just anywhere.
>

> > I have a few technical questions about that: does that mean that a
> > tri-mode Sprint phone would pick up the SAME analogue signal as my
> > Verizon phone in the outer reaches of Marin, where I sometimes rely on
> > an analogue signal? Does that mean that when a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal
> > is not reaching my phone when I travel, it will pick up the same 800 MHZ
> > signal that my Verizon phone would?

Actually, with SPCS's newly issued PRL, if you were out of SPCS's coverage,
you could be roaming on 800 CDMA before 800 Analog. It all depends on who
the agreement is with.

> If SprintPCS has a roaming agreement with the same analog provider, then
> yes.
>
> > I understand that, all other things
> > being equal, the Sprint phone will default to a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal;
> > I'm just not clear what happens when roaming on Sprint and, more
> > importantly, how it would compare with Verizon.
>
> Everyplace is different depending on each companies roaming agreements.
>

> > Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14 days
> > and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan with 4
> > phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it, and go back
> > to Verizon.

Well, you can try one phone on their new F & F plan, within the 14 day trial
period. If you find that it works for you, then you can decide whether you
want to port all your numbers off to SPCS.

> > I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but these
> > companies change all the time. Any opinions? I remember in particular
> > that Sprint had weak coverage in the Los Angeles area. Has that
> > changed?

Yes, it has. SPCS has added a lot of towers in the LA, SF & SD metro areas.
We have a few folks who post here from the LA & SF areas, and all find
satisfactory coverage.

> > Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
> > with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?
>
> All things being equal (and they never are), 800 MHz would be better;
> but you've already indicated you think SprintPCS has better coverage in
> your area.
> Your best bet is to borrow your daughter's friends' Sprint phone
> this weekend. Pay her $20 for the insult, it's a bargain to get good
> hands-on knowledge of how good SprintPCS would be for you.
>

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Michael

Anytime ... :)

Bob
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 7:12:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <i99ac09v0no5otmdt1accgs006vjtn916o@4ax.com>,
Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

> Why is that? You don't have to port all your numbers, or even one
> number, to try a different carrier. When I was thinking of switching
> from ATTWS to Verizon, I tried out the phone for a week and then ported
> my number. It would have cost me a bit of money if I hadn't switched,
> but not a lot (one prorated plan week).

Sprint will charge you

Activation Fee
Prorated charges for initial short billing period
a Full month if you go 10 seconds past initial billing period.

So even a short 1 week trial on Sprint commonly will cost ~ $100
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 7:13:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I switched to Verizon because I had a very poor reception with my Sprint
phone inside my house.

Before I switched to Verizon, I borrowed a Verizon phone from one of my
friends at work. During one lunch break, I took the phone home. I was
impressed because I can place/receive calls with a very good quality signal.
That made me decide that I have had it with Sprint. I had discussed this
problem with Sprint for almost 2 years but there was never a hint of
improvement on my signal quality in my house!

"Michael L." <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
> phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
> can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
> a bit spotty. My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
> and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
> get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
> says her friends with Sprint phones can.
>
> The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
> He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
> than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
> any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
> service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.
>
> I like Verizon very much-- had customer service issues with them in the
> past, but they've been better this past year, and they work well for me
> when I travel in Los Angeles, where I spend a lot of time, and in the
> East Coast, where I often do work as well. Reception in my home is a
> significant issue, however, and I'd like to have it.
>
> The sales rep at Radio Shack pointed out that Sprint, like Verizon, is a
> CDMA system and that many Sprint phones are tri-mode. I've read that
> 1900 MHZ systems are not as good as 800 Mhz, but he pointed out that the
> tri-mode Sprint phones are 1900, 800, and analogue, and he said that
> with Sprint's Expanded Voice Coverage, a Sprint phone can roam nearly
> everywhere in the US.
>
> I have a few technical questions about that: does that mean that a
> tri-mode Sprint phone would pick up the SAME analogue signal as my
> Verizon phone in the outer reaches of Marin, where I sometimes rely on
> an analogue signal? Does that mean that when a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal
> is not reaching my phone when I travel, it will pick up the same 800 MHZ
> signal that my Verizon phone would? I understand that, all other things
> being equal, the Sprint phone will default to a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal;
> I'm just not clear what happens when roaming on Sprint and, more
> importantly, how it would compare with Verizon.
>
> Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14 days
> and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan with 4
> phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it, and go back
> to Verizon.
>
> I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but these
> companies change all the time. Any opinions? I remember in particular
> that Sprint had weak coverage in the Los Angeles area. Has that
> changed?
>
> Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
> with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael
June 8, 2004 7:13:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <q9axc.2288$BM.502@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
someone@microsoft.com says...
> I switched to Verizon because I had a very poor reception with my Sprint
> phone inside my house.
>
> Before I switched to Verizon, I borrowed a Verizon phone from one of my
> friends at work. During one lunch break, I took the phone home. I was
> impressed because I can place/receive calls with a very good quality signal.
> That made me decide that I have had it with Sprint. I had discussed this
> problem with Sprint for almost 2 years but there was never a hint of
> improvement on my signal quality in my house!
>

> "Michael L." <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
> > phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
> > can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
> > a bit spotty. My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
> > and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
> > get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
> > says her friends with Sprint phones can.
> >
> > The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
> > He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
> > than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
> > any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
> > service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.
> >
> > I like Verizon very much-- had customer service issues with them in the
> > past, but they've been better this past year, and they work well for me
> > when I travel in Los Angeles, where I spend a lot of time, and in the
> > East Coast, where I often do work as well. Reception in my home is a
> > significant issue, however, and I'd like to have it.
> >
> > The sales rep at Radio Shack pointed out that Sprint, like Verizon, is a
> > CDMA system and that many Sprint phones are tri-mode. I've read that
> > 1900 MHZ systems are not as good as 800 Mhz, but he pointed out that the
> > tri-mode Sprint phones are 1900, 800, and analogue, and he said that
> > with Sprint's Expanded Voice Coverage, a Sprint phone can roam nearly
> > everywhere in the US.
> >
> > I have a few technical questions about that: does that mean that a
> > tri-mode Sprint phone would pick up the SAME analogue signal as my
> > Verizon phone in the outer reaches of Marin, where I sometimes rely on
> > an analogue signal? Does that mean that when a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal
> > is not reaching my phone when I travel, it will pick up the same 800 MHZ
> > signal that my Verizon phone would? I understand that, all other things
> > being equal, the Sprint phone will default to a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal;
> > I'm just not clear what happens when roaming on Sprint and, more
> > importantly, how it would compare with Verizon.

Funny - I'm now having this problem with Verizon, when I never had it
before.

I think we should try to post with our location - btw, I'm in Manhattan

Louise
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 7:26:03 AM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.city> wrote in message
> In article <i99ac09v0no5otmdt1accgs006vjtn916o@4ax.com>,
> Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > Why is that? You don't have to port all your numbers, or even one
> > number, to try a different carrier. When I was thinking of switching
> > from ATTWS to Verizon, I tried out the phone for a week and then ported
> > my number. It would have cost me a bit of money if I hadn't switched,
> > but not a lot (one prorated plan week).
>
> Sprint will charge you
>
> Activation Fee
> Prorated charges for initial short billing period
> a Full month if you go 10 seconds past initial billing period.
>

> So even a short 1 week trial on Sprint commonly will cost ~ $100

Oh, I think it would be more like $50-$70. Can't see it coming close to
$100.

Bob
June 8, 2004 8:50:41 AM

> [...]

> up the same 800 MHZ signal that my Verizon phone would? I
> understand that, all other things being equal, the Sprint phone
> will default to a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal; I'm just not clear what
> happens when roaming on Sprint and, more importantly, how it would
> compare with Verizon.
>
> Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14
> days and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan
> with 4 phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it,
> and go back to Verizon.
>
> I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but
> these companies change all the time. Any opinions? I remember
> in particular that Sprint had weak coverage in the Los Angeles
> area. Has that changed?
>
> Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint
> quality with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?

If you have a phone that allows it, you may be able to force Sprint PCS
on your Verizon phone. I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and on my
LG4400B I can force roaming on Sprint (extended network) by going to
menu 0 (then 000000) -> 3 -> PCS only. This will allow you to test
Sprint in your home. Restore Verizon by selecting Automatic (or CDMA
only if you want to block out analog).

--
regards,
jerry

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:44:31 -0700, Frank Harris
<frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

>In other cities around the country, the preferred roaming partner may be
>Verizon, or it may be some other carrier that gave Sprint a better deal,
>so roaming coverage (off the Sprint network) may not be the same as for
>your Verizon phone. Sprint's map shows they have roaming agreements
>nearly everywhere, but they may not all be using the same providers that
> your Verizon phone was using. In Cleveland, Ohio, the two cellular
>providers are Verizon (A-side) and Alltel (B-side). I was just there,
>and when I was in a weak Sprint signal area between towers on the Ohio
>Tpk west of Youngstown, or if I set my phone to 'analog only', it used
>Alltel, not Verizon.

This may not have been what you think. In the Youngstown area,
Verizon HAS no network... in fact, even VZW phones use Alltel in that
area. If you look at a VZW coverage map, Mahoning and Trumbull
counties are "Extended Network".

I forget who the other A/B carrier in the market is...I think it's DBA
Cellular One.

Mike
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:02:51 PM

I do not think that there is much difference in building
penetration between 800 and 1900 Mhz systems. The real difference is
how far you are from the antenna site and what is between you and it.
In most places there are two cellular (800 Mhz) carriers. If
verizon or Sprint PCS do not have service in a certain area, they can
choose either analog carrier. Sometimes they are the same. Sometimes
verizon roams on Sprint PCS. Sometimes Sprint PCS roams on verizon.

Michael L. wrote:
> My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
> phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
> can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
> a bit spotty. My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
> and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
> get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
> says her friends with Sprint phones can.
>
> The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
> He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
> than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
> any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
> service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.
>
> I like Verizon very much-- had customer service issues with them in the
> past, but they've been better this past year, and they work well for me
> when I travel in Los Angeles, where I spend a lot of time, and in the
> East Coast, where I often do work as well. Reception in my home is a
> significant issue, however, and I'd like to have it.
>
> The sales rep at Radio Shack pointed out that Sprint, like Verizon, is a
> CDMA system and that many Sprint phones are tri-mode. I've read that
> 1900 MHZ systems are not as good as 800 Mhz, but he pointed out that the
> tri-mode Sprint phones are 1900, 800, and analogue, and he said that
> with Sprint's Expanded Voice Coverage, a Sprint phone can roam nearly
> everywhere in the US.
>
> I have a few technical questions about that: does that mean that a
> tri-mode Sprint phone would pick up the SAME analogue signal as my
> Verizon phone in the outer reaches of Marin, where I sometimes rely on
> an analogue signal? Does that mean that when a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal
> is not reaching my phone when I travel, it will pick up the same 800 MHZ
> signal that my Verizon phone would? I understand that, all other things
> being equal, the Sprint phone will default to a 1900 MHZ Sprint signal;
> I'm just not clear what happens when roaming on Sprint and, more
> importantly, how it would compare with Verizon.
>
> Obviously, the easy answer to this would be to try Sprint for 14 days
> and see how I like it. Unfortunately, I'm on a family plan with 4
> phones, so it would be a huge pain to try it, not like it, and go back
> to Verizon.
>
> I must say I haven't heard much good about Sprint in the past, but these
> companies change all the time. Any opinions? I remember in particular
> that Sprint had weak coverage in the Los Angeles area. Has that
> changed?
>
> Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
> with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:22:18 PM

In article <%gfxc.25778$Tn6.14539@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I do not think that there is much difference in building
> penetration between 800 and 1900 Mhz systems. The real difference is
> how far you are from the antenna site and what is between you and it.
> In most places there are two cellular (800 Mhz) carriers. If
> verizon or Sprint PCS do not have service in a certain area, they can
> choose either analog carrier. Sometimes they are the same. Sometimes
> verizon roams on Sprint PCS. Sometimes Sprint PCS roams on verizon.

I am not aware of SprintPCS using 800 MHz anywhere. I am not aware of
SprintPCS having any analog service of its own - anywhere.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:23:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <ca3jnp$5v0$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
Frank Harris <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

> Michael -
>
> I live in SF and work in Oakland, have 4 phones on my plan, and am very
> satisfied with Sprint PCS service here, and in LA when we visit there.
> I've been a customer since 1997 and have had no customer service issues.
>
> Verizon is Sprint's primary roaming partner in the SF Bay Area, so yes,
> if your Sprint phone can't find a Sprint signal in West Marin, and if
> you set your Sprint phone to allow it to roam off of Sprint, then it
> will use the same Verizon signal (CDMA 800 or analog 800) that your
> Verizon phone uses. But it will cost 69 cents/min, unless you have a
> Free & Clear America Plan for $5 extra per month (then no extra cost).

ONLY if total roaming minutes are less than half of the total minutes
used that month.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:12:16 PM

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Frank Harris <frankbhX@xcompuservex.com> wrote:
> nearly everywhere, but they may not all be using the same providers that
> your Verizon phone was using. In Cleveland, Ohio, the two cellular
> providers are Verizon (A-side) and Alltel (B-side). I was just there,
> and when I was in a weak Sprint signal area between towers on the Ohio
> Tpk west of Youngstown, or if I set my phone to 'analog only', it used
> Alltel, not Verizon.

Yup. Verizon doesn't use Sprint in Cleveland, nor does Sprint use Verizon.
Verizon also doesn't roam on Alltel - their network footprints in Cleveland
and Northeast Ohio are just about identical.

June 8, 2004 2:14:25 PM

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This may not have been what you think. In the Youngstown area,
> Verizon HAS no network... in fact, even VZW phones use Alltel in that
> area. If you look at a VZW coverage map, Mahoning and Trumbull
> counties are "Extended Network".
>
> I forget who the other A/B carrier in the market is...I think it's DBA
> Cellular One.

Dobson CellularONE. I believe you're right. Sprint has native coverage
there, Dobson has native coverage there, and Alltel also does. Verizon
does not, and if you have National Single Rate, America's Choice or North
America's Choice you roam for free on Alltel (I think you may also roam for
free on the local plans, but I'm not sure about that).

**SJS (I miss Northeast Ohio!)

June 8, 2004 2:14:49 PM

Robert M. <rmarkoff@faq.city> wrote:

>> I do not think that there is much difference in building
>> penetration between 800 and 1900 Mhz systems. The real difference is
>> how far you are from the antenna site and what is between you and it.
>> In most places there are two cellular (800 Mhz) carriers. If
>> verizon or Sprint PCS do not have service in a certain area, they can
>> choose either analog carrier. Sometimes they are the same. Sometimes
>> verizon roams on Sprint PCS. Sometimes Sprint PCS roams on verizon.
>
> I am not aware of SprintPCS using 800 MHz anywhere. I am not aware of
> SprintPCS having any analog service of its own - anywhere.

Sprint doesn't use 800, but Verizon does use 1900.

June 8, 2004 7:05:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Michael L." <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<FIGHTALLSPAM-481F70.18374707062004@news-60.giganews.com>...
> Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
> with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?

I wouldn't make the decision based solely, or even mostly, on the
quality of the reception, any more than I'd buy a car based on how
fast it'll go. For me it's all about overall quality of the
experience, which mostly means customer service.

In my experience Sprint PCS had very bad, awful, really breathtakingly
bad customer service. Given a choice between Sprint PCS and no
wireless service at all, I'd choose no service every time. (I'm not
exaggerating; I did have that choice and did choose to go without a
mobile phone for several months.)

They inspired my little web page at
<http://www.loganet.net/~doumakes/sprint.html&gt;.

Favorite Sprint PCS anecdote: my first phone needed a warranty
replacement, and they promised they'd call me the minute it was
available to be picked up. They didn't call. I went into the store
to ask about my replacement phone. Turns out it had been there for
several days already, and they claimed to have called and left me a
message as promised. You guessed it: they called my dead mobile
phone to tell me my replacement phone was in.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 7:34:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Thankfully, this has apparently changed for the better:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=61b4131fb8...

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.city> wrote in message
> In article <i99ac09v0no5otmdt1accgs006vjtn916o@4ax.com>,
> Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > Why is that? You don't have to port all your numbers, or even one
> > number, to try a different carrier. When I was thinking of switching
> > from ATTWS to Verizon, I tried out the phone for a week and then ported
> > my number. It would have cost me a bit of money if I hadn't switched,
> > but not a lot (one prorated plan week).
>
> Sprint will charge you
>
> Activation Fee
> Prorated charges for initial short billing period
> a Full month if you go 10 seconds past initial billing period.
>

> So even a short 1 week trial on Sprint commonly will cost ~ $100
June 8, 2004 7:37:17 PM

In alt.cellular.verizon Michael L. <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
: My Verizon contract is up, and I went to Radio Shack today to compare
: phones. I'm very happy with Verizon, except, and this is important, I
: can only get a Verizon signal in one room of my house, and even that is
: a bit spotty. My daughter tells me that one of her friends has Sprint,
: and she gets reception everywhere in my house. My daughter also can't
: get Verizon reception in her dorm room back in Massachusets, and she
: says her friends with Sprint phones can.

A lot depends on the phone. Have you checked how well your Verizon
phone is rated for reception? It could be that getting a better phone
(probably free from Verizon) would solve your reception problems in
your house - maybe your daughter's too.

Sure, could very well be that Sprint has better signal at your house
and that no Verizon phone will make a difference - but you should to
try to make sure a better phone won't make the difference. If you
pick a good Sprint phone to test in your house, try to pick a
different Verizon phone, too, perhaps a friend's. I have a Nokia
3589i for example - it's known to have excellent reception (and it
will work well with low signal, too - with only one bar of reception,
it still worked great at my old place).

: The sales rep at Radio Shack told me that he uses Sprint and likes it.
: He said that he has found a more stable, stronger signal from Sprint
: than Verizon here in Marin County California. I don't know if he has
: any particular agenda, but Radio Shack sells both Verizon and Sprint
: service, so I would assume that it's all the same to him.

No, he probably gets no commission if you stay with Verizon - but he
gets one if you switch to Sprint.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 8, 2004 7:54:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <C0lxc.13486$IQ2.7255200@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
"Unsaid" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Thankfully, this has apparently changed for the better:
>
> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=61b4131fb8...
> threadid=382258

I would love to be wrong and for SprintPCS to have changed its policy
about the 14 day testing period. However an anonymous poster at Howard
is not what I would call an Authoritative source.

Heck you can't even believe SprintPCS authoritative sources.

Just recently eCare emailed me these lies:

" To acquire Ready Link for your two Phones, must have a 2 year
Advantage Agreement and business shared minutes."

As they likely cut and paste from Scripts, who provides the CSRs with
such lies?

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.city> wrote in message
> > In article <i99ac09v0no5otmdt1accgs006vjtn916o@4ax.com>,
> > Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Why is that? You don't have to port all your numbers, or even one
> > > number, to try a different carrier. When I was thinking of switching
> > > from ATTWS to Verizon, I tried out the phone for a week and then ported
> > > my number. It would have cost me a bit of money if I hadn't switched,
> > > but not a lot (one prorated plan week).
> >
> > Sprint will charge you
> >
> > Activation Fee
> > Prorated charges for initial short billing period
> > a Full month if you go 10 seconds past initial billing period.
> >

> > So even a short 1 week trial on Sprint commonly will cost ~ $100
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 8:59:29 PM

> In article <C0lxc.13486$IQ2.7255200@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> "Unsaid" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Thankfully, this has apparently changed for the better:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=61b4131fb8...
> > threadid=382258
>
> I would love to be wrong and for SprintPCS to have changed its policy
> about the 14 day testing period. However an anonymous poster at Howard
> is not what I would call an Authoritative source.

Well, he's not anonymous ... as he's one of the moderators for Howard
Forums. In saying that, the current policy, per the agreement one has to
agree to says -

Satisfaction Guarantee: Requires return of your complete, undamaged PCS
Phone from Sprint with the original retailer's proof of purchase within 14
days of purchase. We will send a refund either by check or a charge-card
credit. You will remain responsible for all charges incurred prior to the
return of the phone (e.g. activation fees, service charges, etc.)."

SPCS could be in the process of changing that, as they are with the WLNP
monthly charges, that were announced at the beginning of that thread from
$1.10 down to $0.40, starting sometime in July.

Bob
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 9:10:08 PM

On 8 Jun 2004 15:37:17 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
wrote:

>A lot depends on the phone. Have you checked how well your Verizon
>phone is rated for reception? It could be that getting a better phone

Can you point me to any reliable sources on phone reception ratings?
I am in the market for a new phone and so far haven't run across any
reception ratings.

TIA,
Kevin
--
E-mail: kevjay@attglobal.net
June 8, 2004 9:43:20 PM

: wrote:
: >A lot depends on the phone. Have you checked how well your Verizon
: >phone is rated for reception? It could be that getting a better phone

: Can you point me to any reliable sources on phone reception ratings?
: I am in the market for a new phone and so far haven't run across any
: reception ratings.

I don't know of any systematic tests comparing phones (could be - I
just don't know about them). All I have to go on is anecdotal
information I've seen here and on HowardForums. Basically people
who have two phones (family plan) can say, "My wife's phone works
great in our house but mine barely gets reception". Stuff like that.
I heard good reception feedback about the 3589i before I bought it and
it has been a good phone.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 8, 2004 9:43:21 PM

In article <cfyfyfy86382032009@bizaveMYSHOES.com>,
usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

> Kevin <kjfkjf@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> : On 8 Jun 2004 15:37:17 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
> : wrote:
> : >A lot depends on the phone. Have you checked how well your Verizon
> : >phone is rated for reception?

We've had Verizon for quite some time, so I have the benefit of trying
different phones here in Marin. Recently, I ran comparison tests of my
old LG510, my current Samsung A310, and my daughter's old Nokia 3285.
They all do pretty well in general, but the Nokia 3285 does seem to get
better reception in my house than the others.

BUT, it's still not good enough to rely on inside (works in one room but
no others). I am the one who posted the original question in this
thread, by the way, and I feel pretty certain that no Verizon phone will
work for me here at home. However, for what it's worth, that big brick
of a Nokia works pretty well as far as reception around town goes. As a
fan of very simple, no frills phones, I'd say it's quite decent, and if
I do end up sticking with Verizon, I'll probably get the 3589i.

By the way, thanks to all the people who responded to my query. I'm
leaning towards trying Sprint on a 14 day trial to see how it works for
me, especially if it is a 14 day no risk deal.

www.phonescoop.com does have user ratings that often discuss reception.

> I don't know of any systematic tests comparing phones (could be - I
> just don't know about them). All I have to go on is anecdotal
> information I've seen here and on HowardForums. Basically people
> who have two phones (family plan) can say, "My wife's phone works
> great in our house but mine barely gets reception". Stuff like that.
> I heard good reception feedback about the 3589i before I bought it and
> it has been a good phone.
>
> Andrew
June 8, 2004 9:43:22 PM

Michael L. <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> By the way, thanks to all the people who responded to my query. I'm
> leaning towards trying Sprint on a 14 day trial to see how it works for
> me, especially if it is a 14 day no risk deal.

Do be aware that, as I think others have mentioned, you will at least
pay the $36 activation fee whether or not you keep the service. You will
also pay for whatever airtime you used, I believe. You will be refunded
the money for the phone, and you will not be charged an early termination
fee, if you cancel within 14 days. (Double-check with your friendly
neighborhood Sprint PCS rep to be sure, but I believe the info I've offered
here is correct.)

June 8, 2004 10:30:57 PM

The main factor is the quality of reception. There are cusotmer
service problems in all area of cellular servce. I have rarely had to
access customer service and have had very little problems when I did.

Get a GOOD phone and try it out for the grace period that they offer
(I think 14 days). Make sure you get the reception you need in the
areas that are important to you.

On 8 Jun 2004 15:05:19 -0700, doumakes@loganet.net (Don Doumakes)
wrote:

>"Michael L." <FIGHTALLSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<FIGHTALLSPAM-481F70.18374707062004@news-60.giganews.com>...
>> Does anyone have any comments comparing the 1900 MHZ CDMA Sprint quality
>> with Verizon's 800 MHZ CDMA quality?
>
>I wouldn't make the decision based solely, or even mostly, on the
>quality of the reception, any more than I'd buy a car based on how
>fast it'll go. For me it's all about overall quality of the
>experience, which mostly means customer service.
>
>In my experience Sprint PCS had very bad, awful, really breathtakingly
>bad customer service. Given a choice between Sprint PCS and no
>wireless service at all, I'd choose no service every time. (I'm not
>exaggerating; I did have that choice and did choose to go without a
>mobile phone for several months.)
>
>They inspired my little web page at
><http://www.loganet.net/~doumakes/sprint.html&gt;.
>
>Favorite Sprint PCS anecdote: my first phone needed a warranty
>replacement, and they promised they'd call me the minute it was
>available to be picked up. They didn't call. I went into the store
>to ask about my replacement phone. Turns out it had been there for
>several days already, and they claimed to have called and left me a
>message as promised. You guessed it: they called my dead mobile
>phone to tell me my replacement phone was in.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 11:01:50 PM

Andrew <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote:
>Kevin <kjfkjf@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>: On 8 Jun 2004 15:37:17 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
>: wrote:
>: >A lot depends on the phone. Have you checked how well your Verizon
>: >phone is rated for reception? It could be that getting a better phone
>
>: Can you point me to any reliable sources on phone reception ratings?
>: I am in the market for a new phone and so far haven't run across any
>: reception ratings.
>
>I don't know of any systematic tests comparing phones (could be - I
>just don't know about them). All I have to go on is anecdotal
>information I've seen here and on HowardForums. Basically people
>who have two phones (family plan) can say, "My wife's phone works
>great in our house but mine barely gets reception". Stuff like that.
>I heard good reception feedback about the 3589i before I bought it and
>it has been a good phone.

When comparing reception, ignore "bars" on the phones, and compare how
the phones actually perform. Do incoming calls actually ring the phone
and you can answer the call, or do they just go to VoiceMail? Do you
ever get dropped during a call? Signal "bars" on a phone on a phone are
determined solely by the particular version of the software running on
that particular model of phone. On one phone in a given location with
the same provider, it may show one bar, but work fine. Another might show
three bars, and work miserably. And particulary for the CDMA technology
which Verizon uses, it is not clear what the bars SHOULD show: with CDMA,
everyone shares the same frequency at the same time, and you may have
a very strong signal, but the "noise" of all other callers on the same
frequency may make a call impossible, whereas if there are few users,
a relatively weak signal will be fine.
June 9, 2004 3:36:57 AM

[...]

Nokia offers the 3588i for Sprint - seems like almost exactly the same
phone as the 3589i. So if you go with Sprint, keep that in mind. If
you are a Costco member, Sprint sells phones there as well, but I have
no idea if you would get a special deal there.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 9, 2004 5:35:24 AM

In article <ttpcc09n8l3dfqqgr35fkjbli90162r0f4@4ax.com>,
Scott <Refused@Refused.com> wrote:

> The main factor is the quality of reception. There are cusotmer
> service problems in all area of cellular servce. I have rarely had to
> access customer service and have had very little problems when I did.
>
> Get a GOOD phone and try it out for the grace period that they offer
> (I think 14 days). Make sure you get the reception you need in the
> areas that are important to you.

pray you never have to deal with SprintPCS CSRs. I haven't found a one
that knows anything about ReadyLink.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:13:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <rmarkoff-909FA3.20480607062004@news4.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@faq.city says...

> Sprint natively uses only 1900 MHz. You can only roam where SprintPCS
> allows you to roam, not just anywhere.

???

Aside from some really small regional carriers, we've got roaming
agreements that cover 97% of the entire land area of the country.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote:

>> Sprint natively uses only 1900 MHz. You can only roam where SprintPCS
>> allows you to roam, not just anywhere.
>
> ???
>
> Aside from some really small regional carriers, we've got roaming
> agreements that cover 97% of the entire land area of the country.

Well, technically, he *is* right. :)  You can't force a Sprint phone to use
a network not in its PRL, can you?

June 9, 2004 7:27:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <rmarkoff-40C2C5.04233008062004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@faq.city says...

> ONLY if total roaming minutes are less than half of the total minutes
> used that month.

Actually, no. If you exceed that 50% limit, you're still covered.
We send you a friendly reminder of the 50% limit, but cover you
unless you exceed it twice within a 3-month period.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <7tmdncx5j4ChHlvdRVn-vw@lmi.net>, sjsobol@JustThe.net
says...

> Well, technically, he *is* right. :)  You can't force a Sprint phone to use
> a network not in its PRL, can you?

Yes, if you're way out in the boonies, and the phone find an analog
signal from Rinky-Dink Telecom, Inc, it will acquire and sign in.
Then, if you try to use the phone to place a call, you will wind up
redirected to their customer care center, where they'll ask for a
credit card number, and they'll charge you some per-minute fee to use
their network (and I'm told some of those fees make our international
roaming rates look cheap).

That's just one example.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Sometimes a Sprint PCS phone or a verizon phone will roam cellular
or PCS. Now that there are cellular carriers that use CDMA, verizon may
have them higher in verizon's prl than they have Sprint PCS in their
prl. But it used to be that if a verizon phone roamed in WI, and they
wanted to keep the service provided digital, verizon roamed with Sprint
PCS higher in the prl. Otherwise the verizon phone would roam analog.

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Robert M. <rmarkoff@faq.city> wrote:
>

>>> I do not think that there is much difference in building
>>>penetration between 800 and 1900 Mhz systems. The real difference is
>>>how far you are from the antenna site and what is between you and it.
>>> In most places there are two cellular (800 Mhz) carriers. If
>>>verizon or Sprint PCS do not have service in a certain area, they can
>>>choose either analog carrier. Sometimes they are the same. Sometimes
>>>verizon roams on Sprint PCS. Sometimes Sprint PCS roams on verizon.
>>
>>I am not aware of SprintPCS using 800 MHz anywhere. I am not aware of
>>SprintPCS having any analog service of its own - anywhere.
>

> Sprint doesn't use 800, but Verizon does use 1900.

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:44:39 AM

Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Sometimes a Sprint PCS phone or a verizon phone will roam cellular
> or PCS. Now that there are cellular carriers that use CDMA, verizon may
> have them higher in verizon's prl than they have Sprint PCS in their
> prl. But it used to be that if a verizon phone roamed in WI, and they
> wanted to keep the service provided digital, verizon roamed with Sprint
> PCS higher in the prl. Otherwise the verizon phone would roam analog.

Yeah, I know Sprint's coverage in WI has traditionally been better than
Verizon's. However, I think the real reason why Sprint may not be higher
in the PRL now is that Verizon's roaming deals are much cheaper with US
Cellular and Alltel than with Sprint. USCC is in Wisconsin, I believe...

Anyhow, I don't think 1900 or 800 matters. To qualify for no-roaming
on America's Choice or Verizon's other nationwide plans, you're required
to have a phone that can use both frequencies. Makes sense, since a couple
large chunks of Verizon's native coverage are 1900 MHz. (Most of Texas and
Florida are 1900 MHz, and Verizon has overlaid 1900 MHz coverage on top of
800 in some markets.)

June 9, 2004 10:34:44 AM

O/Siris wrote:

> In article <7tmdncx5j4ChHlvdRVn-vw@lmi.net>, sjsobol@JustThe.net
> says...
>
>>Well, technically, he *is* right. :)  You can't force a Sprint phone to use
>>a network not in its PRL, can you?
>>

> Yes, if you're way out in the boonies, and the phone find an analog
> signal from Rinky-Dink Telecom, Inc, it will acquire and sign in.
> Then, if you try to use the phone to place a call, you will wind up
> redirected to their customer care center, where they'll ask for a
> credit card number, and they'll charge you some per-minute fee to use
> their network (and I'm told some of those fees make our international
> roaming rates look cheap).
>
> That's just one example.

1998, Mississippi. Qualcomm QCP-2700. No Sprint. No FM radio even. Want
to call home to tell them I'm still alive. I check the signal meters,
and I do have something. I get this roaming network. I can enter a card
number or I can call collect. No disclosure of fees, no customer service
people. I decided to call home collect. I figured I'd pay $2-$4 for the
call. A month later I get a bill of $16 for a two minute call.
-mike
June 9, 2004 2:45:10 PM

"Mike" <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message
> O/Siris wrote:
>
> > In article <7tmdncx5j4ChHlvdRVn-vw@lmi.net>, sjsobol@JustThe.net
> > says...
> >
> >>Well, technically, he *is* right. :)  You can't force a Sprint phone to
use
> >>a network not in its PRL, can you?
> >>

> > Yes, if you're way out in the boonies, and the phone find an analog
> > signal from Rinky-Dink Telecom, Inc, it will acquire and sign in.
> > Then, if you try to use the phone to place a call, you will wind up
> > redirected to their customer care center, where they'll ask for a
> > credit card number, and they'll charge you some per-minute fee to use
> > their network (and I'm told some of those fees make our international
> > roaming rates look cheap).
> >
> > That's just one example.
> >

> 1998, Mississippi. Qualcomm QCP-2700. No Sprint. No FM radio even. Want
> to call home to tell them I'm still alive. I check the signal meters,
> and I do have something. I get this roaming network. I can enter a card
> number or I can call collect. No disclosure of fees, no customer service
> people. I decided to call home collect. I figured I'd pay $2-$4 for the
> call. A month later I get a bill of $16 for a two minute call.
> -mike

Boy, you aint from these parts are you..... LOL
June 9, 2004 3:35:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:14:25 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

(re: Youngstown/Warren, OH)

>> I forget who the other A/B carrier in the market is...I think it's DBA
>> Cellular One.
>
>Dobson CellularONE. I believe you're right. Sprint has native coverage
>there, Dobson has native coverage there, and Alltel also does. Verizon
>does not, and if you have National Single Rate, America's Choice or North
>America's Choice you roam for free on Alltel (I think you may also roam for
>free on the local plans, but I'm not sure about that).

I believe the roaming is free in Youngstown/Warren on the Local
DigitalChoice plans, too... the map, IIRC, includes pretty much all of
Ohio and Michigan, except perhaps much of the extreme southeast part
of the state (I think the Alltel coverage along I-77 in SE Ohio is
included, but much of SE Ohio has little service to begin with).

Sprint is there in Youngstown/Warren, but Sprint's Cleveland SID was
taken out of the PRL a few revisions ago. I was able to roam on
Sprint on my old 5185i, but no PRL in my LG 4400 has allowed Sprint
roaming in NE Ohio. It's Alltel or nothing. Fortunately, Alltel
seems to have pretty extensive digital coverage in the
Youngstown/Warren area, and I've never been without service in the
Mahoning Valley.

Mike
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 3:38:21 PM

I can say some good things about verizon's service in Wisc. It is
all CDMA and all PCS. USCC (USCellular) may be cheaper, but they cover
a lot more square miles than Sprint PCS. It is good that you can access
Sprint PCS' entire network with a single band phone.

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes a Sprint PCS phone or a verizon phone will roam cellular
>>or PCS. Now that there are cellular carriers that use CDMA, verizon may
>>have them higher in verizon's prl than they have Sprint PCS in their
>>prl. But it used to be that if a verizon phone roamed in WI, and they
>>wanted to keep the service provided digital, verizon roamed with Sprint
>>PCS higher in the prl. Otherwise the verizon phone would roam analog.
>

> Yeah, I know Sprint's coverage in WI has traditionally been better than
> Verizon's. However, I think the real reason why Sprint may not be higher
> in the PRL now is that Verizon's roaming deals are much cheaper with US
> Cellular and Alltel than with Sprint. USCC is in Wisconsin, I believe...
>
> Anyhow, I don't think 1900 or 800 matters. To qualify for no-roaming
> on America's Choice or Verizon's other nationwide plans, you're required
> to have a phone that can use both frequencies. Makes sense, since a couple
> large chunks of Verizon's native coverage are 1900 MHz. (Most of Texas and
> Florida are 1900 MHz, and Verizon has overlaid 1900 MHz coverage on top of
> 800 in some markets.)

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:45:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing that eventually, VZW will drop nearly all Sprint coverage
> out of the PRL, except when they have no other choice. Almost every
> PRL update seems to kick out anywhere from one to three Sprint PCS
> SIDs.

Probably because Verizon can't get the sweet roaming deals from Sprint
that they can from USCC and Alltel.

June 11, 2004 8:36:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

What if you have 700 regular minutes and the unlimited evening/weekends of
course. Your total for the month turns out to be 600 regular minutes and
2,000 evening/weekend minutes. 400 of your regular minutes are roaming and
only 600 of the evening/weekend minutes are. Do you get warned? What about
if only 250 of the regular minutes are roaming but 1,500 of the
evening/weekend ones are? What happens then?

I'm thinking about switching from Verizon to Sprint, but I keep hearing
stuff that scares me away. And I can't find anyone who can tell me if the
service will work well in an area that's about 2 miles from the Interstate
but kind of in the country (Verizon works well there).

A 14-day trial isn't very reasonable for me, because I'll be putting 3
phones on the same account and keeping my numbers that I currently have with
Verizon. So I need to know for sure what to do before I make a decision.

Also, I want a phone that is a good camera phone, is reliable, and works
well with PCS Vision. I was going to get the PM8200 (even though I don't
need RL), but some people on here have been saying the phone isn't so
reliable. I don't want to spend more than $100/phone after the instant
rebates.

Ernest

----------------------

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
In article <rmarkoff-40C2C5.04233008062004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@faq.city says...

> ONLY if total roaming minutes are less than half of the total minutes
> used that month.

Actually, no. If you exceed that 50% limit, you're still covered.
We send you a friendly reminder of the 50% limit, but cover you
unless you exceed it twice within a 3-month period.

--
RØß
O/Siris
I work for Sprint PCS
I *don't* speak for them
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 2:37:29 AM

"Ernest D. Stalnaker" <ernest@purdue.edu> wrote in message
> What if you have 700 regular minutes and the unlimited evening/weekends of
> course. Your total for the month turns out to be 600 regular minutes and
> 2,000 evening/weekend minutes. 400 of your regular minutes are roaming
and
> only 600 of the evening/weekend minutes are. Do you get warned? What
about
> if only 250 of the regular minutes are roaming but 1,500 of the
> evening/weekend ones are? What happens then?

SPCS does not make any distinction between AT & N & W minutes on their web
site. They just say 50% of the minutes used during a billing cycle can be
used for roaming.

If you expect to be roaming that much, even with SPCS's F&CA deal, SPCS is
not for you. Why would you go to a carrier where you expect to make so many
off network calls?

From your email addy, it looks like you are @ Purdue, and in the Indy
coverage area which is pretty well covered. It might behoove you to list out
where you expect to your phone the most, and possibly some lurker in this
newsgroup from your area(s) will pipe in with their coverage results.

> I'm thinking about switching from Verizon to Sprint, but I keep hearing
> stuff that scares me away. And I can't find anyone who can tell me if the
> service will work well in an area that's about 2 miles from the Interstate
> but kind of in the country (Verizon works well there).

Again, if you post the neighborhood area you are in, someone in here might
answer. Another idea is to go to your local bars and restaurants, and ask
around if anyone uses SPCS and whether they are satisfied.

> A 14-day trial isn't very reasonable for me, because I'll be putting 3
> phones on the same account and keeping my numbers that I currently have
with
> Verizon. So I need to know for sure what to do before I make a decision.

Actually, you don't need to port all three phones to try it. Just get one
phone, and use it on SPCS's minimum plan @ with F&CA. You can change your
plan, (which will change on the next billing cycle), with no requirements to
extend your annual agreement.

As for the 8200, I've seen a lot more positive comments on the model than
negative comments. If you find that the coverage fits your needs, you can
get two other phones, and port all three numbers to SPCS. If the service
doesn't work out for you, just turn in the phone in 13 days, and you will
only be responsible for the

> Also, I want a phone that is a good camera phone, is reliable, and works
> well with PCS Vision. I was going to get the PM8200 (even though I don't
> need RL), but some people on here have been saying the phone isn't so
> reliable. I don't want to spend more than $100/phone after the instant
> rebates.
>
> Ernest

Keep in mind that there are other sources to get SPCS phones, like Best Buy,
and other big retail outfits.

Bob
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 7:12:07 AM

Ernest D. Stalnaker wrote:
> What if you have 700 regular minutes and the unlimited
> evening/weekends of course. Your total for the month turns out to be
> 600 regular minutes and 2,000 evening/weekend minutes. 400 of your
> regular minutes are roaming and only 600 of the evening/weekend
> minutes are. Do you get warned? What about if only 250 of the
> regular minutes are roaming but 1,500 of the evening/weekend ones
> are? What happens then?
>
> I'm thinking about switching from Verizon to Sprint, but I keep
> hearing stuff that scares me away. And I can't find anyone who can
> tell me if the service will work well in an area that's about 2 miles
> from the Interstate but kind of in the country (Verizon works well
> there).
>
> A 14-day trial isn't very reasonable for me, because I'll be putting 3
> phones on the same account and keeping my numbers that I currently
> have with Verizon. So I need to know for sure what to do before I
> make a decision.
>
> Also, I want a phone that is a good camera phone, is reliable, and
> works well with PCS Vision. I was going to get the PM8200 (even
> though I don't need RL), but some people on here have been saying the
> phone isn't so reliable. I don't want to spend more than $100/phone
> after the instant rebates.
>
> Ernest
>
> ----------------------
>
> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
> In article <rmarkoff-40C2C5.04233008062004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
> rmarkoff@faq.city says...
>>
>> ONLY if total roaming minutes are less than half of the total minutes
>> used that month.
>>

> Actually, no. If you exceed that 50% limit, you're still covered.
> We send you a friendly reminder of the 50% limit, but cover you
> unless you exceed it twice within a 3-month period.

The 50% limit only applies to total usage. If more than 50% of your total
usage in a month is roaming, then we cover you and send you a reminder about
the 50% limit. Do it again within 3 months, and we still cover you, but we
remove the Free&Clear America option.

Do you really think you'll use that many roaming minutes more than once
within a 3-month period?
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 7:12:08 AM

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.cØm> wrote:

>The 50% limit only applies to total usage. If more than 50% of your total
>usage in a month is roaming, then we cover you and send you a reminder about
>the 50% limit. Do it again within 3 months, and we still cover you, but we
>remove the Free&Clear America option.

Are you saying that if I had a Sprint plan with 800 minutes a month,
used 40 of them, and 21 of them were roaming, I'd be in violation? Or
would it take 401 minutes?

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 2:01:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <14vkc0lrq4ul9m9l5l0hunl09gdq1lhjrk@4ax.com>,
Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.cØm> wrote:
>
> >The 50% limit only applies to total usage. If more than 50% of your total
> >usage in a month is roaming, then we cover you and send you a reminder about
> >the 50% limit. Do it again within 3 months, and we still cover you, but we
> >remove the Free&Clear America option.
>
> Are you saying that if I had a Sprint plan with 800 minutes a month,
> used 40 of them, and 21 of them were roaming, I'd be in violation? Or
> would it take 401 minutes?

In your scenario 21 would be a violation.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 3:52:28 PM

"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.cØm> wrote:
>
> >The 50% limit only applies to total usage. If more than 50% of your
total
> >usage in a month is roaming, then we cover you and send you a reminder
about
> >the 50% limit. Do it again within 3 months, and we still cover you, but
we
> >remove the Free&Clear America option.
>
> Are you saying that if I had a Sprint plan with 800 minutes a month,
> used 40 of them, and 21 of them were roaming, I'd be in violation? Or
> would it take 401 minutes?
>

> ==
> Jack Hamilton
> jfh@acm.org

In the 21/40 example - Yes, but I don't think the word "violation" is the
right terminology to use. More likely described as an overage. On the
401/800 example - No. It's 50% of the minutes "used" during a billing cycle,
not the amount of plan minutes included in your monthly plan.

Bob
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 3:52:29 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
>> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.cØm> wrote:
>>
>> >The 50% limit only applies to total usage. If more than 50% of your
>total
>> >usage in a month is roaming, then we cover you and send you a reminder
>about
>> >the 50% limit. Do it again within 3 months, and we still cover you, but
>we
>> >remove the Free&Clear America option.
>>
>> Are you saying that if I had a Sprint plan with 800 minutes a month,
>> used 40 of them, and 21 of them were roaming, I'd be in violation? Or
>> would it take 401 minutes?
>>

>> ==
>> Jack Hamilton
>> jfh@acm.org
>
>In the 21/40 example - Yes, but I don't think the word "violation" is the
>right terminology to use. More likely described as an overage. On the
>401/800 example - No. It's 50% of the minutes "used" during a billing cycle,
>not the amount of plan minutes included in your monthly plan.

So I'd be better off calling my home phone and just letting the two
phones stay connected for two hours when I got back, so the denominator
would be larger. I wouldn't think Sprint would want to encourage that.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 11:23:54 PM

> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

<snipped>

> So I'd be better off calling my home phone and just letting the two
> phones stay connected for two hours when I got back, so the denominator
> would be larger. I wouldn't think Sprint would want to encourage that.

These all sound like hypothetical arguments. First off Jack, let's get
something straight. It sounds like you don't have SPCS coverage with all
this talk of roaming. If you were roaming that much, you should have dumped
SPCS and found another provider. If you do have coverage with SPCS and roam
that much, I have a bridge in Brooklyn, NY I'd like to sell you ...

We have not had any complaints about the F&CA option in the SPCS newsgroup.
In fact, I don't remember anyone filing a post where they received a
notification of having too many roaming minutes. It's probably the best $5
monthly investment offered by SPCS for those that do find they roam
occasionally, either off network or in a dead spot.

As Rob has mentioned a number of times, if SPCS sees a trend where there are
more that 50% roaming minutes in a billing cycle, they will send a
notification to the customer. If a customer does exceed the 50% threshold,
SPCS doesn't charge them any more $$$. If the customer continues with that
calling pattern, they will remove the F&CA option from the plan after 90
days.

Bob