extending the wireless range of a network

Hi All,

I have a number of computers in a house all connected via 2 wireless
routers. The problem is one is just too far away to get a constant signal.

The setup is as follows:

Downstairs: Level One WBR-1400TX Wireless AP Router connected via WAN to an
ADSL modem. One laptop connected via wireless.
Upstairs: A cable from the downstairs router connects to a 3Com
Officeconnect wireless router. DHCP is turned off on this one. 3 computers
all connect via wireless to this router and obtain IP / Gateway addresses
from the downstairs Router.

All connect except for one pc which is about 20-25 metres away and behind
several concrete walls. The wireless PCI card on this one is a Buffalo
Airstation G54 WLI-PCI-G54 with external antenna. I get a signal sometimes
but it is not enough to have an IP assigned. What can I do to remedy this?
Can I e.g. get a longer cable + antenna for the buffalo so the antenna is
outside the room (which I believe will work in terms of signal strength) or
is it possible to put an access point half way to act as a bridge (WDS) but
without it being wired to the network. Problem here I read is you need all
same brand equipment for it to work.

Thanks for any help.

JH <jNohuitSPAMs@mapsonhotmail.com> wrote:
> All connect except for one pc which is about 20-25 metres away and behind
> several concrete walls. The wireless PCI card on this one is a Buffalo

20-25 metres is near the limit for stable operation with "normal" walls.
concrete makes it harder.

> outside the room (which I believe will work in terms of signal strength) or

If it shows some signal, you could add reflectors to the WAP and the
PCI-client. That could make a 10dB improvement for that pair.
http://www.freeantennas.com

You could relocate the antenna a little bit with a short antenna cable.
Just moving from behind the (noisy) PC could make a big difference.
http://www.fab-corp.com/

You could also use a USB adapter instead of the internal PCI.
If you use a mini-adapter, you could put the USB-adapter out in the
hallway. These are $9.95 after rebate at several places in the US.
I noticed Office Depot had the DLink last week, but that sale is off.
This week it's OfficeMax with a NetGear.
The one I bought was a DLink DWL-122.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175

--
---