bigmic2

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Howdy all. Does anyone have any recommendations for a SMP mobo for a web/file server? At this point and time I'd go with either AMD or Intel (PIIIs only though). The box could be taxed quite hard. I've personally had excellent luck with PIII boards with the ServerWorks chipset. I have a rather bad taste in my mouth for Via right now given the Asus board in my desktop box. The Linux support was great. BTW, I forgot to mention this earlier. This is a Linux box. I need a handful of 64bit slots for RAID and GigE cards. I don't neccessarily need a fancy server board but I do need something rock solid that won't break the bank (ie, under $500, preferrably less). 3+ DIMM slots is also required. I'm looking at a couple gig of RAM. Any suggestions?

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Were are not much into SMP in this forum.
Take a look at www.2cpu.com, or go to the SMP forum at www.hardforum.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I prefer the BX chipset for it's top performance. But I'm not seeing any BX boards with 64-bit slots. That puts you up to the GX, but I'm not seeing any of those support 133MHz bus (through chipset overclocking like on the BX). And that puts you back to serverworks.

An ideal solution IMO would be to find a GX board that supports 133MHz bus speed overclocks. Even with the chipset overclocked such a board would be extremely stable. But I'm unaware of any that might exist.

Don't care much for Serverworks chipsets as they same a bit slower, but they are highly regarded for thier stability.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
A Tyan Dual CPU workstation board will that for do you. (www.tyan.com) They run on genuine AMD MP Chipsets. (IE Completly rock solid and I dont think there is any other SMP Chipset for AMD out there anyway) But get a model running the MPX version of the chipset not the original MP version is what I have been told. They have if I remember correctly 4 dimm slots for DDR-266 some 64Bit 66Mhz PCI slots and whatever else you want if you have a browse on their site. Thats just my suggestion.
AREA_51