robin

Because of a problem with "Search", which was not working, I decided
to run a repair (following the regular repair option offered) from the
XP intallation disc. But now, after the repair, Windows will not boot.
I get the screen telling me to use the last successful installation
and with options also to start in Safe Mode. None of the options work.
All come back to the same screen again.

I decided to reinstall XP on a different partition, which I have now
done, so I can work. But I would like, if possible, to get the old
installation booting again. Any suggestions?

TIA.

Robin

Had you installed Service Pack 2? If so, you may need to use the Recovery
console to uninstall SP2 on that partition.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350 This takes
awhile but is generally straightforward. If it looks like nothing is
happening, give it some time.
--
Patty MacDuffie
www.computerhaven.info

<robin@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Because of a problem with "Search", which was not working, I decided
> to run a repair (following the regular repair option offered) from the
> XP intallation disc. But now, after the repair, Windows will not boot.
> I get the screen telling me to use the last successful installation
> and with options also to start in Safe Mode. None of the options work.
> All come back to the same screen again.
>
> I decided to reinstall XP on a different partition, which I have now
> done, so I can work. But I would like, if possible, to get the old
> installation booting again. Any suggestions?
>

> TIA.
>
> Robin

robin

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:07:58 -0800, "Patty MacDuffie"
<pattymacduffie@sendspamhere.comcast.net> wrote:

>Had you installed Service Pack 2? If so, you may need to use the Recovery
>console to uninstall SP2 on that partition.
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350 This takes
>awhile but is generally straightforward. If it looks like nothing is
>happening, give it some time.

Yes I had. But I can't uninstall it. I tried using the methods on the
site, which meant using the uininstall file--I couldn't boot to try
the others--but it isn't there.

Should I reinstall on top of my old installation? Or should I give up
and format the partition? (I have copied all documents to another
partition.)

One more question. To delete the new, temporary, installation do I
just do that--delete it? What about the boot menu, which I'll no
longer want once I get back to a single intallation?

TIA

Robin

If the recovery console uninstallation did not work, first boot into your
parallel installation and copy all of your documents and other data files to
a CD or other storage device. Then you'll have to reformat and begin clean.
That will mean that you won't have SP2 and you'll have to install that
again. Do so before installing all your programs so you don't waste a lot
of effort if you run into the same problem. But before you attempt the SP2
install, go to your manufacturer's website and download any patches they
suggest for prior to SP2 install. Make sure no programs are running when
you do the installation. It would be best to install it from a CD if you
have one. Make sure your antivirus background protection is off, and unplug
any always on Internet connection as well. Good luck, Robin.
--

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:07:58 -0800, "Patty MacDuffie"
> <pattymacduffie@sendspamhere.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Had you installed Service Pack 2? If so, you may need to use the Recovery
>>console to uninstall SP2 on that partition.
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350 This takes
>>awhile but is generally straightforward. If it looks like nothing is
>>happening, give it some time.
>
> Yes I had. But I can't uninstall it. I tried using the methods on the
> site, which meant using the uininstall file--I couldn't boot to try
> the others--but it isn't there.
>
> Should I reinstall on top of my old installation? Or should I give up
> and format the partition? (I have copied all documents to another
> partition.)
>
> One more question. To delete the new, temporary, installation do I
> just do that--delete it? What about the boot menu, which I'll no
> longer want once I get back to a single intallation?
>
> TIA
>
> Robin

robin

Thank you very much for your advice Patty.
I already have a complete backup on an external hard drive but the
other recommendations were new to me. I had hoped to avoid
reformatting if possible, but at least it will get rid of the minor
bugs which led me to attempt the repair in the first place.

Best

Robin

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:29:50 -0800, "Patty MacDuffie"
<pattymacduffie@sendspamhere.comcast.net> wrote:

>If the recovery console uninstallation did not work, first boot into your
>parallel installation and copy all of your documents and other data files to
>a CD or other storage device. Then you'll have to reformat and begin clean.
>That will mean that you won't have SP2 and you'll have to install that
>again. Do so before installing all your programs so you don't waste a lot
>of effort if you run into the same problem. But before you attempt the SP2
>install, go to your manufacturer's website and download any patches they
>suggest for prior to SP2 install. Make sure no programs are running when
>you do the installation. It would be best to install it from a CD if you
>have one. Make sure your antivirus background protection is off, and unplug
>any always on Internet connection as well. Good luck, Robin.

robin

In the end I reinstalled on top of my old XP without formatting. With
a little careful renaming of files in Documents and Settings I was
able to keep a lot of my old settings.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:47:16 GMT, robin@despammed.com wrote:

>Thank you very much for your advice Patty.
>I already have a complete backup on an external hard drive but the
>other recommendations were new to me. I had hoped to avoid
>reformatting if possible, but at least it will get rid of the minor
>bugs which led me to attempt the repair in the first place.
>
>Best
>
>Robin
>
>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:29:50 -0800, "Patty MacDuffie"
><pattymacduffie@sendspamhere.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>If the recovery console uninstallation did not work, first boot into your
>>parallel installation and copy all of your documents and other data files to
>>a CD or other storage device. Then you'll have to reformat and begin clean.
>>That will mean that you won't have SP2 and you'll have to install that
>>again. Do so before installing all your programs so you don't waste a lot
>>of effort if you run into the same problem. But before you attempt the SP2
>>install, go to your manufacturer's website and download any patches they
>>suggest for prior to SP2 install. Make sure no programs are running when
>>you do the installation. It would be best to install it from a CD if you
>>have one. Make sure your antivirus background protection is off, and unplug
>>any always on Internet connection as well. Good luck, Robin.

That's good news, Robin. So is everything okay now?
--
Patty MacDuffie
www.computerhaven.info