Sign in with
Your question

Second Take: Super Sequels, The Sequel

Last response: in Video Games
August 29, 2008 5:09:14 PM

Ben and Rob attempt a super sequel of their own by following up on last week's show with additional genres of game sequels that improve on the originals.

Watch Video: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/videos/second_take_super_sequels_part_ii.html

Watch Part 1: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/videos/second_take_super_sequels.html

More categories, more debate.

-Ben

More about : super sequels sequel

August 29, 2008 6:15:33 PM

Warcraft 3? Really? I enjoyed Warcraft 2 MUCH more than 3. The story in 3 was great, but I HATED the upkeep system. It killed the game for me. It was not fun, it did not help, and it was just kind of dumb. I would have given that genre to RA2 in a heartbeat. RA1 was ok. It was about on par with the original C&C, maybe a bit less fun, but RA2 is still among my favorite RTSs of all time. Barring that, I would have given it to Warcraft 2, but never 3.
August 29, 2008 6:38:07 PM

At first when you said Civ 2 I was pissed, then I realized, you probably classified Alpha Centaurii as a spinoff or something. I've always seen it as the logical sequel to Civ 2, but I could concede the point.

Still I'd have chosen Civ 4 over Civ 2, but it would be close.

Oh and, That title SOOO belongs to Symphony of the Night.
Related resources
August 29, 2008 7:22:24 PM

infornography42 said:
At first when you said Civ 2 I was pissed, then I realized, you probably classified Alpha Centaurii as a spinoff or something. I've always seen it as the logical sequel to Civ 2, but I could concede the point.

Still I'd have chosen Civ 4 over Civ 2, but it would be close.

Oh and, That title SOOO belongs to Symphony of the Night.

Agrred with all points you jsut made. I think Civ2 wins due to the "Out of Memory" errors you get on some huge maps on custom mods...(4GB ram isn't enough? LOL!)
September 2, 2008 11:41:43 AM

I didn't play Civ 1, but from extensive experience of the subsequent games, I'd rate them;

Civ 4 >> Civ 2 >>> Civ 3

Alpha Centauri would sit round about where Civ 2 is - it was clearly an accomplished game, but it never quite grabbed me the way the Civ franchise did so I can't rate it higher. The Call to Power series sits somewhere around Civ 3. The second one in particular was good (interface for CTP:1 was a bit fiddly), although it became a bit too easy in future periods (hover tanks...)
September 4, 2008 10:52:29 AM

Alpha Centauri is the game by which I measure all other single world turn based strategy games. There are things it did right that no other TBS has done since or at least not done as well.

The civics in AC are the best in any Civ game, the customizable units were one of the greatest parts of it, the special capabilities of each faction were such that there was a huge difference playing one faction instead of another. In every Civ game or civ clone since then the factions had some minor effects that helped some but did not fundamentally change how you played the game.

For those reasons I consider it the all time best in that category.

Now for space based turn based strategy, I'd still have to give it to Masters of Orion 2. Galactic Civilizations was really good, but MOO 2 is still the best.
September 4, 2008 4:34:10 PM

GalCiv2 is so very good though... a few things that were in MOO2 that I think they should add for GalCiv3;

Tactical ship design (i.e. which way the guns point matters!)
Tactical combat
Special weapons

Then I think they've just about nailed it.
September 4, 2008 9:22:23 PM

I agree. What didn't take galciv 2 over the top for me was the fact that the combat kinda sucked. Mainly that if I built a huge super ship, it would be torn apart by just a few little ones because it would only shoot at one of them at a time.

I mean, if I can afford a giant supership, don't you think I could afford more than one gunner and a few turret mounts?
!