XP slow to open folders with lots of .ZIP files in them.

Hi - in WInXP, Explorer is slow (sometimes really slow) to open folders
with lots of ZIP files in them. I think this si some sort of
file-searching thing, so that a search looks inside the zip files.

It's a pain in the butt. I use WINZIP or PKZIP to open ZIP files. Is
there a way to turn this off? Is it safe to do so?

thanks
/j
4 answers Last reply
More about slow open folders lots files them

    If you don't use XP's built in ZIP file handling, click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 /U ZIPFLDR.DLL. This will disable XP's built in ZIP file support. To re-enable it click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 ZIPFLDR.DLL.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:O3fGYP3zEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi - in WInXP, Explorer is slow (sometimes really slow) to open folders
    > with lots of ZIP files in them. I think this si some sort of
    > file-searching thing, so that a search looks inside the zip files.
    >
    > It's a pain in the butt. I use WINZIP or PKZIP to open ZIP files. Is
    > there a way to turn this off? Is it safe to do so?
    >
    > thanks
    > /j

    what do I lose if I disable this?
    /j

    Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

    >If you don't use XP's built in ZIP file handling, click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 /U ZIPFLDR.DLL. This will disable XP's built in ZIP file support. To re-enable it click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 ZIPFLDR.DLL.

    Since you're using 3rd party tools, anyway, nothing. You're simply disabling Windows XP's ability to natively handle ZIP files.

    "Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:Ot8uqJ%23zEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > what do I lose if I disable this?
    > /j
    >
    > Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
    >
    >>If you don't use XP's built in ZIP file handling, click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 /U ZIPFLDR.DLL. This will disable XP's built in ZIP file support. To re-enable it click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 ZIPFLDR.DLL.

    cool - it worked
    /j

    Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

    >Since you're using 3rd party tools, anyway, nothing. You're simply disabling Windows XP's ability to natively handle ZIP files.

Microsoft Zip Windows XP