XP slow to open folders with lots of .ZIP files in them.

November 21, 2004 12:43:13 AM

Hi - in WInXP, Explorer is slow (sometimes really slow) to open folders
with lots of ZIP files in them. I think this si some sort of
file-searching thing, so that a search looks inside the zip files.

It's a pain in the butt. I use WINZIP or PKZIP to open ZIP files. Is
there a way to turn this off? Is it safe to do so?

thanks
/j
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 5:25:20 AM

If you don't use XP's built in ZIP file handling, click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 /U ZIPFLDR.DLL. This will disable XP's built in ZIP file support. To re-enable it click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 ZIPFLDR.DLL.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:o 3fGYP3zEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi - in WInXP, Explorer is slow (sometimes really slow) to open folders
> with lots of ZIP files in them. I think this si some sort of
> file-searching thing, so that a search looks inside the zip files.
>
> It's a pain in the butt. I use WINZIP or PKZIP to open ZIP files. Is
> there a way to turn this off? Is it safe to do so?
>
> thanks
> /j
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 1:54:46 PM

what do I lose if I disable this?
/j

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

>If you don't use XP's built in ZIP file handling, click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 /U ZIPFLDR.DLL. This will disable XP's built in ZIP file support. To re-enable it click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 ZIPFLDR.DLL.

November 21, 2004 3:13:33 PM

Since you're using 3rd party tools, anyway, nothing. You're simply disabling Windows XP's ability to natively handle ZIP files.

"Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:o t8uqJ%23zEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> what do I lose if I disable this?
> /j
>
> Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
>
>>If you don't use XP's built in ZIP file handling, click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 /U ZIPFLDR.DLL. This will disable XP's built in ZIP file support. To re-enable it click Start, Run and enter REGSVR32 ZIPFLDR.DLL.

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 3:25:53 PM

cool - it worked
/j